Re-thinkning cables, Mapleshade maybe??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Re-thinkning cables, Mapleshade maybe???

J*E*Cole
05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
I keep getting these catalogs form a company called Mapleshade Records, they offer what they claim is well recorded music across several genres, not necessarily of my liking, but I guess I'm a sucker for about anything if it really sounds good, you know like those certain albums that just beg you to crank it up, the ones you hear the pluck of the strings on or the breath of the sax, etc,... well they also ofer a range of accessories including cables, and they really talk their speaker cables up, and was wondering if anyone out there has actually tried or owns any of these Mapleshade products. I gotta say, what they say all makes good sense, I'm now torn between these Mapleshade Double Helix cables, and Monster Z or Kimber Bifocal X, but the Kimbers really push my budget versus the others, so any input whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

BTW they will be used with four Infinity Alpha 50's.

JohnMichael
05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
I have been tempted to try their cables. I will tell you I have tried two of their ideas on improving the sound and they have been incredible. I placed my Rega turntable on cones instead of the rubber feet and the sound improved greatly. I also removed the ground from my system and the noise reduction has made my system more enjoyable and less fatiguing. I think they are on to some good things and if they are right about their cables as they are the tweaks they should be good for the money.

J*E*Cole
05-04-2006, 08:49 AM
What do you mean by remove the ground cable??
Is it something I can do.
Must profess ignorance here. Will you please explain?

Thanks!

daviethek
05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I keep getting these catalogs form a company called Mapleshade Records, they offer what they claim is well recorded music across several genres, not necessarily of my liking, but I guess I'm a sucker for about anything if it really sounds good, you know like those certain albums that just beg you to crank it up, the ones you hear the pluck of the strings on or the breath of the sax, etc,... well they also ofer a range of accessories including cables, and they really talk their speaker cables up, and was wondering if anyone out there has actually tried or owns any of these Mapleshade products. I gotta say, what they say all makes good sense, I'm now torn between these Mapleshade Double Helix cables, and Monster Z or Kimber Bifocal X, but the Kimbers really push my budget versus the others, so any input whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

BTW they will be used with four Infinity Alpha 50's.

I got the Mapleshade speaker wires. They compared favorabley with my Bedrock which sells for around 2x the Mapleshades. Nicely balance cable without coloration.. Amazing considering the construction which is thin gauge heat treated wire. They are on my second system now and sound sweet. I am not famililar with Kimber Bifocal but I think I am safe in saying these will out do the Monster Z product. Get some snake-skin sleeving for them if they are not going to be hidden because the insulation on the wires is very thin and and could short if rubbed the wrong way. I got one of the Mapleshade CD samplers clled "Wildchild" Mapleshade's music festival. Very organic sounding recordings with lots of musical detail. I did not like most of the music however. So, unless you are familiar with the artists, buy those carefully.

JohnMichael
05-04-2006, 10:58 AM
What do you mean by remove the ground cable??
Is it something I can do.
Must profess ignorance here. Will you please explain?

Thanks!

They recommend using a cheater plug on a grounded plug and so you can listen with the component grounded or not. With the cheater plug you do not make contact with the ground receptacle. I use a PS Audio power cable that has a removeable ground pin. I unscrewed the ground and plugged the cord back into the wall. I noticed a slight improvement and listened without the system being grounded for about three days. When I reinserted the ground pin the noise I was picking up from other electrical equipment became very obvious. I can no longer listen with the system grounded. It was something that I thought was part of the music/system until I listened without the ground. Of course a good power conditioner will help with this but I do not have one and unscrewing the ground or using a cheater plug is a very cheap tweek.:cornut:

Hairsonfire
05-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I get those catalogs as well. In my humble opinion, it's a bunch of crap. If I wanted cheesy looking wire wrapped in Saran Wrap I would make it myself. My apologies for coming off so negative, but those folks really make some incredible claims. More power to them if they can get people to buy that stuff. I like the little tripods, oh, excuse me, "cable elevators" - $40.00 a set.

daviethek
05-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I get those catalogs as well. In my humble opinion, it's a bunch of crap. If I wanted cheesy looking wire wrapped in Saran Wrap I would make it myself. My apologies for coming off so negative, but those folks really make some incredible claims. More power to them if they can get people to buy that stuff. I like the little tripods, oh, excuse me, "cable elevators" - $40.00 a set.

You're right about the interconnect wires wrapped in plastic sleeving and the cable stands. You can experiment with these concepts DIY for pennies on the dollar. The speaker cables might be a bit different however. I have tried a number of pairs of Monster and entry level products from the cable makers and the mapleshade product sounded more like most vendors mid-grade or better stuff at a price more comparable to entry level. Its moot I suppose if a person would never spend 85.00 on speaker wire to begin with. . You're right though, some of that other stuff they offer is just plain wierd.

Hairsonfire
05-22-2006, 09:20 AM
It is my humble opinion that aftermarket powercables, power conditioners, Insanely Expensive Interconnects and Speaker Cables (and allllll the rest) are just clever marekting ploys to get your money from your bank account to theirs. To be fair, I have some fairly high end cables and interconnects, but not because I think they sound better - they are well built and look great. Folks need to pay more attention to the room and speaker placement. You know, the free stuff no one has figured out how to gouge the public for yet.

Rock&Roll Ninja
05-27-2006, 07:04 PM
CDs = Awesome sound quality (I have a few). But so-so with material. Listen to samples before you buy.

Ribbon cables = whatever floats your boat man.

Equipment Racks = freakin sweet! 2" (or 4"!) thick single piece boards. This is seriously 19th century furniture technology. It will outlast your grandkids and look good doing it. I highly doubt it will make your musical widget sound better, but damn that some nice furniture.