Homemade sub ideas needing critique... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Homemade sub ideas needing critique...

Tahoe Gator
05-03-2006, 06:24 PM
The number of rooms I need a subwoofer in now outnumber the numbers of subwoofers I have. Here are some ideas I am entertaining:

Option 1: Buy another one. Pros: easy. Cons: cost.

Option 2: I have an NAD 2600A amplifier (150W RMS, much higher peak, and much much higher if I bridge to mono) that is not being used. I've been thinking I could go buy a high quality subwoofer driver (or two?), build the appropriate box to match the driver(s), and drive it with the 2600A connected to the subwoofer out of my A/V receiver. Pros: cheaper. Cons: Ties up the amp in case I need it later. My time in labor.

Option 3: I have some pretty high quaility car audio amps lying around, including a 200W Soundstream that can be bridged to mono. A while back I was in a electronics surplus store and picked up a super beefy 12V DC power supply. The thing weighs more than some home audio amps and I believe it can deliver plenty of amps. I could build the same box mentioned above, but instead power it with the power supply / car amp combo. Pros: cheaper. Uses stuff collecting dust otherwise. Cons: ?

I am a reasonably accomplished carpenter and an electrical engineer, so the construction is not the issue. The real question is sound quality: would the NAD amp / car audio woofer combo be much better than a mid-priced suwoofer (such as my Klipsch KSW12)? It would seem the amplification quality of the NAD would be beyond comparison to a $400 subwoofer. I would think even the car amp on a massive power supply would be also. But, I am obviously posting for some opinions. Thanks for any suggestions.

audio amateur
05-06-2006, 07:35 AM
The number of rooms I need a subwoofer in now outnumber the numbers of subwoofers I have. Here are some ideas I am entertaining:

Option 1: Buy another one. Pros: easy. Cons: cost.

Option 2: I have an NAD 2600A amplifier (150W RMS, much higher peak, and much much higher if I bridge to mono) that is not being used. I've been thinking I could go buy a high quality subwoofer driver (or two?), build the appropriate box to match the driver(s), and drive it with the 2600A connected to the subwoofer out of my A/V receiver. Pros: cheaper. Cons: Ties up the amp in case I need it later. My time in labor.

Option 3: I have some pretty high quaility car audio amps lying around, including a 200W Soundstream that can be bridged to mono. A while back I was in a electronics surplus store and picked up a super beefy 12V DC power supply. The thing weighs more than some home audio amps and I believe it can deliver plenty of amps. I could build the same box mentioned above, but instead power it with the power supply / car amp combo. Pros: cheaper. Uses stuff collecting dust otherwise. Cons: ?

I am a reasonably accomplished carpenter and an electrical engineer, so the construction is not the issue. The real question is sound quality: would the NAD amp / car audio woofer combo be much better than a mid-priced suwoofer (such as my Klipsch KSW12)? It would seem the amplification quality of the NAD would be beyond comparison to a $400 subwoofer. I would think even the car amp on a massive power supply would be also. But, I am obviously posting for some opinions. Thanks for any suggestions.

Why would you need so many subs in the first place? I would personally try to get the car amp working with a home sub (Adire, dayton (there is a bunch to mention)) and make the enclosure. Using your NAD amp would be a waist if it's to use with a sub. Use it in a normal 2ch system (get the pre, the speakers...). -the is my opinion.
Anyway good luck with it all, tell us what you do:)

emack27
05-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I heard once that there are problems when converting AC to DC.
Let me find the link.

kexodusc
05-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Sub amps are cheap enough, have built in crossovers, auto on functions, and other useful features...I wouldn't waste a NAD on a subwoofer...just me...
Get an efficient woofer, and mate it with a good, inexpensive, $100-$150 amp with 200-300 watts...how loud do you need this thing to go?