looking for a nice, musical, budget sub... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for a nice, musical, budget sub...

audio_dude
05-03-2006, 11:37 AM
ok guys, I need a sub to fill in the last few octaves for my paradigm atoms...I haven't got much cash, so let's try to keep the price BELOW $225 CND, please, no "you could probably find this for about $250" and stuff like that, maybe $250, cause I can hagle it to like $200 or so, lol, I got my atoms for $185 CND, they retail for $250! Well, as you can see i'm on a pretty tight budget, and i'm looking for an ACTIVE sub please, with high level input so I can just connect the speaker cables from my amp---to---sub---to---speakers. I'm looking for one that goes down to about 30Htz, if possible, and I MUST be able to get in OTTAWA, ONTARIO, or hull, montreal, not quebec though, maybe toronto...

RoyY51
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't know what the CAN to U.S. exchange rate is, but the Outlaw LFM-2 is available online for $299.00 U.S. I've heard nothing but great reviews on this little beast. It was designed by sub guru Dr. Hsu and is supposed to be a perfect fit for small to medium rooms. All the info can be found on the Outlaw Audio website.

Good luck!

audio_dude
05-03-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks, but I think thats a little out of my budget, hmm...

Woochifer
05-03-2006, 05:12 PM
With your budget range, you should probably enjoy the Atoms for a while longer and save up some more. The options available in your price range are generally ported home theater subs, and a lot of the ones in that $200 price range don't have a particularly linear bass response. At the $300USD price point, you have options from Hsu and DIY kits that might work for your needs, but that $225CDN budget is mighty thin. At $400USD, you got great options from Hsu, SVS, and others that can legitimately extend down to 25 Hz. Don't rush it. Save up your loonies and get something that you can grow with. You can also explore second hand options as well.

wayner86
05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I agree with saving some more money perhaps the ~$400 range would get you a HSU STF-1, extension around 30Hz. The thing you have to consider when looking at subs from the U.S. are the taxes/exchange rates you're going to get dinged with. That $300-400 quickly turns into a $700 or more product.

Canadian dealer of HSU subs:

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/

Wayne

audio_dude
05-04-2006, 11:30 AM
well, I'm still thinking if I want to build my own sub, anyone know of a good CANADIAN company or website that sells good kits? oh ya, and i've extended my price to about $300 cnd
I am maybe thinking about the HSU STF-1, i'm going to see if I ca find a canadian brick and mortar store to but it...

wayner86
05-04-2006, 12:40 PM
This is the Canadian distributor for HSU subs, send them an e-mail and they'll let you know other locations where HSU products are sold.

http://www.hi-fidelity.com/DVDCases.htm

Wayne

audio_dude
05-04-2006, 12:55 PM
hmm...I think that sub is about $100 too expensive for my budget, and i've decided that I will build a kit if it's a good price, as long as it comes with EVERYTHING, like: amp, driver(s), tuned port, cabinet (well, I can inlist the help of my dad and his almighty table saw if abosolutly nessesary, also, i don't have a router to make the drive openings!) also, what about those B.I.C venturi subwoofers on the same site, are they any good? cause the specs look impresive and it only costs $299

kexodusc
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Don't know of any in Canada, but I do know you want to avoid the BIC subs...they make good speakers, but terrible subs for the money unfortunately.

Without a router, you'll be hard pressed to cutout holes for the woofer. I think Parts Express sells some cabinets, you might consider going that route. Creative Sound in Canada sells a piano black cabinet:
http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?category=Kits&make=CSS

Personally, I think it'd be cheaper to buy a used router and a few bits and still build a cabinet...or at least borrow a router if you can swing it.

audio_dude
05-04-2006, 04:30 PM
after looking around a while, i'm thinking I am going to save my money for a little while longer till I can afford a decent one, thanks for the help guys!

Marc H
05-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Our shop is in Ottawa, The Audioshop on Bank Street. We have a couple of the S8.2 subs from Energy on clearance at $250.00 each. Good extension for the price and size. Not too shabby for music either, I used to own one.
There's also some Encore 8 subs from Energy reduced from $700.00 to $399.99 too. Those are very good at music as well as movies.
There's a display model Energy Act6 sub too that's marked down to $150.00.

audio amateur
05-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Don't know of any in Canada, but I do know you want to avoid the BIC subs...they make good speakers, but terrible subs for the money unfortunately.

Without a router, you'll be hard pressed to cutout holes for the woofer. I think Parts Express sells some cabinets, you might consider going that route. Creative Sound in Canada sells a piano black cabinet:
http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?category=Kits&make=CSS

Personally, I think it'd be cheaper to buy a used router and a few bits and still build a cabinet...or at least borrow a router if you can swing it.

What is it you guys call a "router"?

audio_dude
05-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Mark, yes, i know of audioshop, i bought my Grado sr60 phones there, great store. my dad was looking at the last pair of totem winds or something like that...we were there a few times.

audioamateur, here is a picture of a router, it's sorta like an upright drill that cut holes...
http://www.am-wood.com/images/tools/router.gif

and mark, do you work at audioshop?

Marc H
05-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Audio_dude,
Yes, I do.

audio_dude
05-06-2006, 11:31 AM
were you the one to sell me my grado phones? I was the one to come in with a paper name tag labelled "ROB"

oh ya, and what models yamaha receivers do you guys carry, i'm looking for somewhere in ottawa to buy one, maybe a RX396, or something around $350, any suggestions (I would also go for a tuner and amp for that price)

Marc H
05-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Pop into the shop when you can Rob. I have the new version of the RX395 as well as the Cambridge 340 series of amps and tuners too.

audio_dude
05-07-2006, 03:24 AM
I will have to, maybe this or next week.

bettercheddar
05-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't consider myself to be an audiophile - perhaps an enthusiast is a better term. Anyhow, her's my take on the inexpensive sub idea. they are out there - I have two subs in my home that I absolutely think are terrific! Both are Cadence subs. The X-sub can be had for $239.00 shipped to your door! It is a 12" sub that weighs in at 50lbs! It goes deep enough (25hz) and has some guts (350 amp). In my opinion it is a killer deal. It sounds musical, but it has the grunt to make your movies sound great!

Look, in my experience, in order to get a sub that will plum the 20hz and lower regions you'll have to spend a minimum of $500.00 - I have read positive reviews of the Sony sub (dual 10" woofers) that people swear hits 20 hz and is priced at about $200.00. I think you can enhance your music and music experience with a good sounding inexpensive sub! They do exist. You just need to dig a liitle and you can find one that suits your needs.

Don't misunderstand me - I think the SVS subs and Hsu subs are very, very good - just a bit rich for my budget (I am guessing yours too). I really am happy with my Cadence sub and I have never regretted buying both of them (one in each bedroom). I can enjoy music and movies in any room in my home. I don't miss the 5hz lower extension in the bass at all!

Good luck in your search,
Bettercheddar

audio_dude
05-11-2006, 11:19 AM
well, bettercheddar, next time read the whole thread before posting, I said that I don't have the money now and am probably going to buy a new amp first...but thanks for the suggestion anyway, i'll keep that in mind!

bettercheddar
05-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I read the thread - offer a suggestion- and get a smart a** reply. Unbelieveable!