Yamaha RX-V2600 vs Denon 2807 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V2600 vs Denon 2807

kbochat
05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I was hoping that this discussion would have already taken place, but I am either using the search too wrong or it does not exist.

So I think I have narrowed down my search to two receivers to be the basis of my fresh start home entertainment center. The Yamaha RX-V2600 and the Denon 2807. Both seem to have gotten great reviews and have in my novice opinion almost identical features. So being a novice I figured I would leave it up to the experts on here to help me figure this one out. I know both are probably going to overkill in the short run for any novice, but i am willing to learn why else would I be here.

Thanks

Woochifer
05-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Actually, the RX-V1600 is the more comparable model to the AVR-2807, because it has the same $1,100 list price. The RX-V2600 adds a little bit more power, more video processing features, better multiroom functionality, and a higher $1,400 list price that's more in line with Denon's AVR-3806.

If you can get the RX-V2600 for the same price as the AVR-2807, then the Yamaha might hold an advantage because it can do video upconversion to 720p/1080i from analog and HDMI video sources, which will give you a lot of flexibility with the video switching if you have or will soon purchase a HDTV.

Between the 1600 and the 2807, those models are very close on paper, so you might want to go to a local store and try them out for yourself. Typically, the sound quality won't differ much, but the user interface and the remote will differ a lot and might be more of a deciding factor than you think.

Another issue to consider is that the Denons are newer, so stores might be more inclined to discount the Yamahas, which were introduced back in October.

Either way though, both companies have great reputations for home theater receivers, and if it's within your budget, definitely worth considering. These models in particular include a lot of features that you can grow with, HDMI switching in particular, so they won't be obsolete anytime soon.

Most of the lower priced receivers have not yet begun including HDMI connections, but they generally include most of the features that you find on the midlevel models that you listed.

If you're willing to go with no HDMI video switching, less multiroom functionality, less power, and less advanced auto calibration functions, then you should definitely look at the Denon AVR-2106 and the newly introduced Yamaha RX-V659. Those receivers list for $700 and $650, respectively, and are every bit as capable as the midlevel models in most areas.

kbochat
05-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Interesting thank you for the help.