Outlaw 990 preamp on the way. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 990 preamp on the way.

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Couldn't stand it any longer, I've been eyeing the Outlaw 990 since last year. I gotta at least try it out on the 30 day trial they offer.

It better be good, I'm gonna have to sell a guitar to pay for it :)

GMichael
05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Couldn't stand it any longer, I've been eyeing the Outlaw 990 since last year. I gotta at least try it out on the 30 day trial they offer.

Huh? Oh no! Gasp... Not that! Can't you hear it crying, "don't sell me dady, pleeeeeease."

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Sacrifices must be made :)

I've got two fretless basses and I can't really play either one so I don't need two :)

The good thing about these guitars is that I can sell them for at least what I paid for them 5 years ago, and will be able to get probably more 5 years from now if I keep them. I'll be lucky to get $100 for the Outlaw preamp 5 years from now! But it's something that will be used 10-12 hours a day as opposed to twice a month. It's a tough decision, trust me!

robert393
05-03-2006, 10:20 AM

Interesting (internet sales) piece, but one controversial choice, however, was the decision to include DVI switching instead of HDMI. Of course, DVI is the modern connection for digital video signals. But HDMI combines both video and audio information in one cable and seems to be the connection of choice on most current-generation displays. (Its connector is also smaller than DVI.) Probably a fine piece for the (non-hd) setup you have though.

Let us know how you like it.

Robert

Jim Clark
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I've spent some time with that piece and I like it a great deal. It gets better marks for looks than previous Outlaw electronics, imo. That little green accent piece always bothered me but this is a classy looking piece. There's quite a bit there to play with too. Ought to keep you busy for a couple of weeks at the very least. I bet you keep it and end up very satisfied.

Hope the truck gets there quickly for you.

jc

Off topic- My oldest son has his first gig coming up. He's playing in Sunday's church service. He's already getting worried that his best friend who plays drums is going to mess it all up. He says he can't keep a beat, something of a problem for a drummer. We'll see. Pretty good setting for the first time out.

kexodusc
05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey, a buddy of mine ordered one of their pre/pros awhile back to go with some M-blocks and a big ass multi channel amp. I think the model 970 if memory serves, dont' think it was the top of the line one. Not a bad little unit, didn't have quite the sound quality of a Rotel or Arcam, but it was noticeably better with analog signals than his $1000 + Integra a/v receiver he was using as a pre/pro.. Had a bunch of nice user friendly options with it. Nice unit for $600 or so. I think he said the receiver version was only a couple hundred bucks more.

The M-Blocks are nice, powerful, inexpensive amps. I keep looking to snarf up some used Outlaw amps. Easier said than done, you gotta bid fast when you find them, and I never see them in an a/v shop. That tells me people are holding on to these things.

Jim Clark
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Interesting (internet sales) piece, but one controversial choice, however, was the decision to include DVI switching instead of HDMI. Of course, DVI is the modern connection for digital video signals. But HDMI combines both video and audio information in one cable and seems to be the connection of choice on most current-generation displays. (Its connector is also smaller than DVI.) Probably a fine piece for the (non-hd) setup you have though.

Let us know how you like it.

Robert

A non-issue if there ever was one.

1. There are no standards yet established for HDMI 1.3
2. HDMI when successfully implemented will offer convenience of a one cable connection. For many of us, switching isn't a big deal. For every single one of us, a digital connection for audio doesn't present a road block.
3. Adaptors exist to accomodate the video if the need arises.
4. To my knowledge, there isn't a pre/pro on the market that can decode the future audio codecs anyway.

But you got your little digs in anyway. Nice touch.

jc

robert393
05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
A non-issue if there ever was one.

1. There are no standards yet established for HDMI 1.3
2. HDMI when successfully implemented will offer convenience of a one cable connection. For many of us, switching isn't a big deal. For every single one of us, a digital connection for audio doesn't present a road block.
3. Adaptors exist to accomodate the video if the need arises.
4. To my knowledge, there isn't a pre/pro on the market that can decode the future audio codecs anyway.

But you got your little digs in anyway. Nice touch.

jc

Jim, I think I stated that this would probably be a good piece for him considering he has interest in HD at this time. Exactly my point. No standard has been established for HDMI 1.3. Switching COULD however become a necessity in the future depending upon how many HDMI inputs a person may have available for VIDEO (I certainly understand audio should not be an issue), of course that would assuming the person needs an HD video input.

As far as any pre-pro's decoding the the new HD-DVD audio.....no, need for one. The HD-DVD player has internal decoding.

Lastly, I really think you got it wrong with your quip about me getting "little digs" in. I have no problem with the poster (or you) comment, only an observation concerning the equipment. Of course, if you want try to create an issue, that's entirely "your deal".

Robert

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree that HDMI is a non-issue, it's got about as much pull as HD-DVD which is zero. In 4-5 years once they get it ironed out, I might look into it. But right now, it's of no concern. I don't even own anything with an HDMI output (or a DVI output for that matter). And if I did, an HDMI to DVI adapter is like $3 and does not suffer from the connection problems that HDMI has.

And the last time I checked, component video does in fact pass an HD signal.

And you gotta remember, I'm 80% audio and 20% video. HDMI is of no concern to me. Top notch audio quality is, and the Outlaw has been compared to (and in some cases outperformed) Arcam and Rotel preamps. I shall see soon!

robert393
05-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Home Theater & Sound gives a great review here (http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/outlaw_990.htm). They rated this as a very good performing budget component.

Good luck with it.

Robert

topspeed
05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
He's already getting worried that his best friend who plays drums is going to mess it all up. He says he can't keep a beat, something of a problem for a drummer. :lol: :lol:

Gee, ya think?! *snicker...whipes tear from eye*

NA,

Congrats on your new toy. Be sure to report back once you've played with it for awhile. Enquiring minds want to know!

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 01:09 PM
The reviewer states that it's pretty much as good as the Athem AVM30 in most areas, plus the other reviews say it can outperfrom that $3000 Arcam so those are good enough for me!

robert393
05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
:lol: :lol:

Gee, ya think?! *snicker...whipes tear from eye*

NA,

Congrats on your new toy. Be sure to report back once you've played with it for awhile. Enquiring minds want to know!Topspeed, check your PM...........
Robert

Jim Clark
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Jim, I think I stated that this would probably be a good piece for him considering he has interest in HD at this time. Exactly my point. No standard has been established for HDMI 1.3. Switching COULD however become a necessity in the future depending upon how many HDMI inputs a person may have available for VIDEO (I certainly understand audio should not be an issue), of course that would assuming the person needs an HD video input.

As far as any pre-pro's decoding the the new HD-DVD audio.....no, need for one. The HD-DVD player has internal decoding.

Lastly, I really think you got it wrong with your quip about me getting "little digs" in. I have no problem with the poster (or you) comment, only an observation concerning the equipment. Of course, if you want try to create an issue, that's entirely "your deal".

Robert

"Probably a fine piece for the (non-hd) setup you have though"

Explain to me how this pre/pro would in any way detract from any HD set up. If any future audio can't be decoded by any pre and all video can be run through an adaptor I fail to see any rationale for your comments other than yet another dig. As I said, a non-issue.

if I've misjudged you, I apologize.

jc

topspeed
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Topspeed, check your PM...........
Robert
ditto.

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 02:57 PM
If there is some sort of audio format decoding that is needed in the near future, a simple software update to the Outlaw will take care of it!

kexodusc
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
The reviewer states that it's pretty much as good as the Athem AVM30 in most areas, plus the other reviews say it can outperfrom that $3000 Arcam so those are good enough for me!

Anthem is one of the very few brands I really do have a beef with. Every Anthem I've heard and used has just given me the impression it was dreadfully overpriced.

If your new pre-pro is as half as good as these people say it is you should be very happy.

robert393
05-03-2006, 03:32 PM
"Probably a fine piece for the (non-hd) setup you have though"

Explain to me how this pre/pro would in any way detract from any HD set up. If any future audio can't be decoded by any pre and all video can be run through an adaptor I fail to see any rationale for your comments other than yet another dig. As I said, a non-issue.

if I've misjudged you, I apologize.

jcThe only way I can think of is if (lets take this scenerio):
1) Video display has only 1, maybe 2 HDMI inputs.
2) You have multiple HD sources ie, satelite, DVD etc

From the looks of things Jim, all future true HD (720p-1080p) will be passed through HDMI ONLY. Case in point, HD-DVD. Yes, it has component, but will only pass HD via HDMI. You can have all the DVI to HDMI connectors you want, and that's fine, but the limiting factor will be the number of inputs on the HD DISPLAY. All I'm saying is a switching device may be needed. My Denon 5800 has no HDMI, and my video source has only one DVI input. My HD satelite has only HDMI out, and I'm using a converter (HDMI to DVI) now. Guess what....I'm already in need of a switcher if I were to go with HD-DVD today!

Guess I am just thinking future.........mine that is. And after looking at the 990, I was just thinking how nice it would be to have HDMI switching.

That would be why I said the 990 would be a fine piece for a non-hd setup. Don't read anymore into it than that.

Robert

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
The only way I can think of is if (lets take this scenerio):

Guess I am just thinking future.........mine that is. And after looking at the 990, I was just thinking how nice it would be to have HDMI switching.

Robert

The 990 will switch two HDMI's with the DVI adapter just like you're already using now. You'll just have to run the digital audio seperately. I'm assuming you don't even run the sound to your TV anyway.

Since your HD sat already has DVI it will connect right up, and you can use the adapter + seperate optical cable for an HD-DVD player.

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Anthem is one of the very few brands I really do have a beef with. Every Anthem I've heard and used has just given me the impression it was dreadfully overpriced.

If your new pre-pro is as half as good as these people say it is you should be very happy.

I'll be honest with you. I think most all home theater preamps are overpriced. Most of them are $3000 and up for a PREAMP. You have to BUY AN AMP for them!

That's why I've been using a receiver as a preamp for years, and this Outlaw preamp is the first one I've seen that has all the features I want and priced where it should be.

The only thing I don't like about upgrading is that as soon as I get it I'm going to max it out. I'll be using all three component inputs and all four optical inputs. I'll probably end up using all the audio inputs also by adding a seperate CD changer. But on the other hand, the $3000 and up preamps don't have any more inputs than that so it's no biggie. I do have the DVI inputs to move up to at least.

robert393
05-03-2006, 04:48 PM
The 990 will switch two HDMI's with the DVI adapter just like you're already using now. You'll just have to run the digital audio seperately. I'm assuming you don't even run the sound to your TV anyway.

Since your HD sat already has DVI it will connect right up, and you can use the adapter + seperate optical cable for an HD-DVD player.Good point. I actually thought the same thing after I posted. I would like to have more (& more....& MORE) inputs than the outlaw piece has.......always want more though....lol!
Robert

N. Abstentia
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah I want more inputs also, always want more! But, I didn't see any units regardless of price that had more inputs than the Outlaw. Some might have had 4 component inputs instead of 3, but at 4x the price.

kexodusc
05-04-2006, 04:47 AM
I'll be honest with you. I think most all home theater preamps are overpriced. Most of them are $3000 and up for a PREAMP. You have to BUY AN AMP for them!

No kidding....I goofed around with a few pre/pros before settling on my last receiver. For HT use, I noticed no difference at all - I think most processors and digital paths are about as good as their going to get now...very small differences between even cheap receivers and decent pre/pros. Receivers take shortcuts in the analog chain, IMO, more often than not. "Pure Direct" modes have improved things in recent years, but that's still only for 2 channels, and I'd still take a good integrated or separates over a receiver for 2-channel.
The amp sections of even good receivers don't cost as much as you'd think, Outlaw sells their receivers for just a bit more than the processors.

But the Outlaw's value was exactly what my friend's approach was...he's had the M-Blocks for awhile to power his speakers but the big amp was new...I think he got the processor and amp for $1600 or something. Awesome system. I like the NAD-esque looks of them. And a bit better handling of analog like I said, so a solid upgrade for him all around.

The only thing I don't like about upgrading is that as soon as I get it I'm going to max it out. I'll be using all three component inputs and all four optical inputs. I'll probably end up using all the audio inputs also by adding a seperate CD changer. But on the other hand, the $3000 and up preamps don't have any more inputs than that so it's no biggie. I do have the DVI inputs to move up to at least.

I've been waiting for a comany to step up and offer decent priced pre/pros for awhile now. The only thing the Outlaw doesn't have that I would absolutely want is auto-setup with full parametric equalizing. But you can probably just buy a better external P EQ later anyway.
I do like the independant bass management for the different channels instead of a one size fits all solution. That's something every receiver/processor should have now.