Digital Cinema Theatres [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cinema Theatres

MJ81
05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Is there anybody I could talk to about how to make my cinema theatre from a regular one to a digital one? How does this technology work and do you think XDC is good choice for digital servers?

edtyct
05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Are you saying that you own an independent movie theater that you'd like to convert into a digital cinema? I'm sure that lots of people in the business would love to talk to you. You realize that even though digital cinema stands to save owners lots of money once the digital systems are in operation, costs up front are often prohibitive. I'm not in the know about the financial outlay, but it has to be at least $200,000 or so for a typical theater. What you'll need is a digital projector of some kind (DLP, DiLA, etc.), a suitable screen of some kind, probably upgraded audio, and a delivery system in place--either some sort of physical medium like a hard drive or an electronic conduit by satellite or the internet. Christie, which supplies projectors, and XDC, which handles distribution and mastering services and everything in between, are major players in this enterprise. You could easily benefit from talking to them. I suppose you could also get recommendations from George Lucas. Are you on the level? Can you speak more to your situation, if only to satisfy my curiosity?

westcott
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Is there anybody I could talk to about how to make my cinema theatre from a regular one to a digital one? How does this technology work and do you think XDC is good choice for digital servers?

Here is a copy of the digital cinema specification if you want some ideas.

http://www.dcimovies.com/DCI_Digital_Cinema_System_Spec_v1.pdf

I doubt even the established cinemas can afford the requirements of this specification and if you ask me, the movie industry would not care if they all closed down. The overhead for film distribution greatly reduces profits for the movie industry.

The last half of the spec is comprised almost entirely of security\firewall requirements for digital media transmission and storage.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Any HTPC will be a short lived proposition until digital connections like HDMI are available and graphic cards support the HDCP content protection scheme.

MJ81
05-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi Edtyct,
Only to satisfy your curiosity - I'm in a partnership with some people whose ideas I really admire. They own this movie theatre and want me to help them in finding the best equipment for transfering from a regular ehxibitors technology (35mm films) to a digital one. So far we all think that XDC is the best choice for us because of the business plan they propose - about supplying the equipment, ways of payment etc.(www.xdcinema.com)

Now, my job is to get involved with all that technology - DLP, DMD, 2K, 4K and all that stuff. Now you know all the story.
"...if only to satisfy my curiosity" - how could I get recommendations from George Lucas - I mean is there are certain ways of taking that privilige?

edtyct
05-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Thanks, MJ81. Your situation isn't usually the type that I see offered for public discussion. You didn't supply enough info in the first place to show that it wasn't a gag or some half-baked fantasy. As it is, the information is specialized enough, and the financial commitment steep enough, that deep research into your options is critical. All cheekiness aside, getting in touch with Lucas' people for recommendations wouldn't be a bad idea at all, if you penetrate far enough into the sanctum to get concrete advice (Lucas Films, Skywalker Ranch, which, incidentally is moving to the Presidio in San Francisco). But you'll certainly have to shop around seriously for proposals from various companies to see whether XDC has any genuine competition in the market. But the mere fact that you seem undaunted by the money part seems like a good sign. Good luck. Personally, I'd find a series of updates of your progress really interesting.

MJ81
05-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Hi Edtyct,
I'm on the verge of discovering all this new world - it's getting more interesting when you see how things changing - I mean this evolution - myabe this year there will be 10 000 more D- Cinemas, but the next year the number will be in thousands - and when you know that you are from these few pioneers in the world...
Thank U for your time and consideration!:)