Upscaling vs. Upconverting what is the big difference and is it worth it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upscaling vs. Upconverting what is the big difference and is it worth it?

kbochat
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
At the suggestion of GMichael I figured I would throw this out there and see what we can get on some feedback.

"Be careful when you read upconverting not to think upscaling. These are not the same. Upconverting only means that you can input with component or S-video cables and then output with HDMI or component. It doesn't add lines to your res. But many people feel that upscalling is not all what it's cracked up to be either. Depends on who you talk to. You may want to start a new thread on that subject to get answers from people who know more on this."

So what is the right way to go? Is upconverting really worth the extra 300 or 400 bucks you need to spend to get it?

GMichael
05-03-2006, 07:26 AM
I am sure that you will get answers here. But you may get them faster if you post it in the video section.

edtyct
05-03-2006, 07:34 AM
"Upconversion" on receivers is an often valuable way to cut down on the number connections that a receiver has to make to its video target. In other words, if a receiver can output all of its composite, S-video, and component inputs through a single component output to a TV set, the user doesn't need so many cables. This feature is strictly a convenience; a lower-quality composite or S-video feed cannot be converted to have the resolution and finese of one that originates as high-quality component video, It can only be adapted to take the same path to the same destination. The biggest thing now in such upconversion is HDMI output, allowing all analog sources to enter a display via a single digital connection (when it works). The caveat just mentioned, however, still applies.

The term "upconversion" also does double duty as a synonym for "upscaling," which refers to video processing that turns a particular resolution, or pixel count, into another one--for instance, the common scaling of 480i or 480p DVD video to the native resolution of a microdisplay--720p, 768p, 1080i, or 1080p. This kind of upconversion is obligatory for microdisplays. It can be done by either the display, an upconverting DVD player through its HDMI or DVI output, or an external processor. Similar to the above situation, such upconversion cannot turn a non-HD source into true HD, only into pseudo-HD. The results will vary according to how well the particular processor does its job, how much the viewer cares, and how informed the viewer is about this procedure. Though not strictly the same, upconversion/upscaling in this sense has come to include deinterlacing as well.

The extent to which either of these features is worth extra money is up to the individual.

kbochat
05-03-2006, 07:44 AM
I am sure that you will get answers here. But you may get them faster if you post it in the video section.

Dang it you are right, I was thinking Home Theater all emcompassing. I will try there next if I don't much of a response.

kbochat
05-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Wow that is a lot to think about. Thanks edtyct for your reply, and if anyone else has some input on the subject please feel free to jump in.