LG LCD's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LG LCD's

wayner86
05-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Anyone have any experience with LG sets? Are they worth checking out next to Sony's Bravia or Sharps Aquos? I have a buddy picking up 3 LCD flat panels for his new home, and he had a guy come in from a hifi store and give some recommendations on what would work in his situation. The tech guy wants to install 2 LG 42" sets for his main viewing areas, i suggested either Sharp or Sony (being that they are the most talked about), is the LG worth as much of a look as the Sony/Sharp?

Wayne

edtyct
05-03-2006, 06:08 AM
I, for one, haven't seen one or heard much about them. LG displays are usually in the middle of the pack when it comes to the parameters of color, black level, and video processing (I'm thinking largely of their plasmas when I say so), but they tend to be feature-oriented. I'd say that they were certainly worth checking out, though, as you say, Sony, Sharp, and Panasonic seem to be the benchmarks for performance.

superpanavision70mm
05-03-2006, 10:50 PM
I have seen quite a few of the LG's out and about and none of them really tickled my fancy. As mentioned already on here ...the black level, color, etc seemed to be a bit off, but then again I am going with the calibration or lack thereof from the various stores that were displaying it. I would check into some of the Pioneers or Samsungs in comparison. I have been impressed with both of those. My friend just bought a 37" Aquos LCD and it looks really great, but not worth $2000 in my opinion. He is happy with it and that's all that matters. I noticed that when he had his HD Comcast running that it looked drastically better than alot of the DVD's that we were playing through HDMI. So, the limitations of DVD were quite noticeable, which I don't have nearly as much of a problem with on my 30" tube HDTV. However, I know that these are on two different levels, but for the time being I am much happier with my TV than just about any plasma or LCD that I have seen on the market mainly due to the price/cost/benefit being so out of whack. The compatability and HDMI thing needs to improve...I would personally wait another year or so if I were you, but it's totally your choice in the matter.

edtyct
05-04-2006, 03:43 AM
Hey, SuperP,

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but you keep advising people to wait a year or so before they buy because of "compatibility and the HDMI thing." What compatibility issues do you mean? You and I seem to be operating at cross purposes; it would be nice to know what I'm missing when I make suggestions to people about displays or offer technical information. Also, HDMI may not have evolved sufficiently to be everything that it's intended to be, especially when it comes to audio, but HDMI's current limitations as an accessory rarely preclude people from getting enjoyment from their displays now. In another year, another set of circumstances pointing to developments on another year's horizon will crop up; these things never stand still.

Ed