Sweetest Deal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sweetest Deal

superpanavision70mm
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Ok,

Name your best deal you've ever made in regard to H/T or audio equipment...

Florian
05-03-2006, 01:35 AM
My restored DIVAS for 11K not to mention the 3K crossover i got for free and lets not forget the huge powerfilter from audioplan for 150 bucks.... and the 3.6 Maggie that i traded for a 1.6 and a PC.....

bfalls
05-03-2006, 04:38 AM
My best purchase was a pair of Legacy Focus speakers. They usually sell in the $6800 range. I bought a pair of "purist's" 2-year-old Focus, without the EQ contour switches, ,in premium rosewood-stained mahogany for $2600. Each speaker has 3-12" woofers, 2-7" Kevlar mid-woofers, a silk dome mid-range and ribbon tweeter.

I later purchased the Silver Screen center speaker, also a good deal. I previously had a Legacy "Dialogue" center speaker (European version) which I traded in. Legacy allowed $575 toward the Silver Screen. I put down a $171 deposit. When the speaker arrived I noticed the bottom wasn't exactly flat and called Legacy. They said thay had several other Silver Screens and they were all the same. They said I could wait several weeks for another to be built, or have mine for the ($746) I had into it, less than half price. I kept it and placed Audioquest "Big Feet" under it. It works and sounds fine and I got a great deal.

PAT.P
05-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Ok,

Name your best deal you've ever made in regard to H/T or audio equipment...Every speakers in my main system including sub bought at 50% +off the regular price .My Yamaha receiver also at 50% off ( Floor display ) .Took almost 2 years but worth $$ it.On another deal and dont laugh,for basement bought a pair of JBL bookself wall speakers at 30% off and they gave me a 8" power sub for free (reg price $299CND)

Mr Peabody
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
You call $11k for Apogees a good deal? New they were $7,500.00 when first on the market and the price went down from there, in 2000 and 2001 going price in good condition is $2k to $4,500.00. You are constantly boasting about the low impedance so you must have a pair of the earlier product with serial numbers in the 6,000's?

One of my best deals was finding a vintage Sansui AU-9500 in excellent condition at a thrift store and bought it for $20.00, then learning it is still worth $150.00 bluebook. Impressive amp. Back when I used to work in an audio store I also got a free Infinity subwoofer, pair of bookshelf speakers, a jacket and some T-shirts cashing in spiff points. If you work in the industry that employee purchase is awesome too. It was more than difficult getting used to paying retail again.

PAT.P
05-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Ok,

Name your best deal you've ever made in regard to H/T or audio equipment...Was it for new or 2nd hand or free?

Florian
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
You call $11k for Apogees a good deal? New they were $7,500.00 when first on the market and the price went down from there, in 2000 and 2001 going price in good condition is $2k to $4,500.00. You are constantly boasting about the low impedance so you must have a pair of the earlier product with serial numbers in the 6,000's?.

Just like i said before, you have no knowledge. The Introductory price of the DIVA Signature in Germany was 26500DM in 87! The Active Crossover was introduced for 12500DM! That together is 39000DM which is Aprox 35000$ in 87! The later version of the DIVA, as in the Reference Editon was 32500DM and was produced till 93!

Graz in Australia makes CNC cut precision ribbons and makes a fully restored pair well worth 10K, which in return makes them a bargain. The "modern" Apogees, from Perigee cost between 26500$ to 145000$. Again, a bargain and esp. if bought, already restored.

Do me a favour and just keep quiet. Your beginner knowledge is an embarresment to this community and your way to try to prove me wrong is getting silly.

PS: Do you still wanna come by and try a 500i on a Scinitlla or DIVA ribbon to test the "Krell Stability" or have you gotten more brains now and learned that Krells "are not created equal" ?

Mr Peabody
05-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Are you talking $11k U.S. dollars or DM? $11k U.S. dollars is still not a good deal. The selling prices for Apogee on Audiogon will show that.

No one said all Krells are created equal, they have price points to meet like anyone else. Quit trying to deflect from the fact that you blew up a KSA-150 out of ignorance when Pro reviewers drove the same speakers with a KSA-100. I read a post on another board where a Apogee fan drove his Scintillas for 17 years with a KSA-100. All of your whining and boasting isn't going to change the fact that no matter where you look Krell is synonomous with driving Apogees. The 500i is a fine integrated for what it sold for. It is actually a KAV 250a & 250p in the same chasis and Krell reps have given it an edge in sound quality over the separates. Original MSRP was $5,500.00 U.S. So make all the fun you want, there is worse to be had. So you keep measuring your speakers with a VOM and calling it impedance your quite entertaining sometimes.

Florian
05-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, Mr. Peabrain can you tell me what a fully restored pair will cost?

If not, then shut up! And i am glad you finally accepted that Krells will die on hard to drive speakers, and this entertainment value you think you get out of me is a pittyfull excuse to save your own ass. You have no friggin idea about these speakers and are not even close of owning one, so go back into the hole and shut up.

-Flo

superpanavision70mm
05-05-2006, 12:09 AM
this debate reminds me of something...oh yeah....my arguments with Wooch.

Florian
05-05-2006, 12:23 AM
this debate reminds me of something...oh yeah....my arguments with Wooch.

Yes, thats incredibly pointless too. You can send me a PM again, i cleaned the folder. 50 just aint enough...

topspeed
05-05-2006, 08:12 AM
I've bought all of my speakers for at least 35% off list, all of them new. The VR1's were picked up for nearly 50% off. The only electronics I haven't bought for at least 25% off was the Denon 2910, which was 15%.

I bargain hard, pay cash, and my dealer knows I refer a heckuva lotta people to him. We both win :).

Mr Peabody
05-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Flo - you obviously have a reading comprehension problem to add to the list of your other issues. Go back and read my post again. No where did I say Krells die and I know enough about your speakers to see when you talk crap. I really do not have to defend Krell, those who are familiar with them and have owned Krell realize your Krell bashing is out of ignorance.

Apogees got good reviews and I have no doubt they have merit. It is also documented that the speakers had problems and after the company went out of business many models were found in the junk yard where their owners tossed them. Apogees have a cult following like certain brands of cars. If you want to see what other people pay check the price trend on Audiogon. There are people who pay enough for an old restored car to buy a brand new BMW, if that's what they want to do that's fine but I wouldn't consider it a good deal. The same with your Apogees.