Can cheap-o sound good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can cheap-o sound good?

superpanavision70mm
05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Ok, here is a question that I feel is very valid on this forum. If I go out and buy a $100 CD player and hook up the basic analog cables that came with it would the sound improve drastically by purchasing $1000 cables to connect it. I know that this does not necessarily make logically sense, but what is the total potential of the $100 player. Is that potential fully realized with the basic cables or can an improvement be made with expensive cables.

Second, if there is a difference between the two does that same difference occur when you are already using a high-end CD player to begin with. Is the margin less than or greater than.

Thirdly, would a $100 CD player sound better with the expensive cables if compared to the $1000 player that has the basic cables connected to it?

This of course is going to be a huge debate because there are tons of factors, but I thought I'd throw it out there!

Florian
05-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Cheap **** sounds and always will sound like cheap ****. If you can live with cheap ****, its fine ;-) *hypothetically speaking

"Impedance matching of all equipment with the help od DIY cables will improve ANY component, no matter how bad and this incl room acoustics also.

E-Stat
05-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Ok, here is a question that I feel is very valid on this forum. If I go out and buy a $100 CD player and hook up the basic analog cables that came with it would the sound improve drastically by purchasing $1000 cables to connect it.
No, cable differences are always incremental.

Is that potential fully realized with the basic cables or can an improvement be made with expensive cables.
A decently made pair of $20 interconnects can exploit most of what cheap players can do. I have an inexpensive Toshiba DVD player that I've tried in my vintage system. One of my better cables helps remove a bit of its slightly hot and zingy top (probably due to RFI), but doesn't magically transform it's performance envelope.

Second, if there is a difference between the two does that same difference occur when you are already using a high-end CD player to begin with. Is the margin less than or greater than.
There is more potential to be realized, but again the improvements are merely incremental.

Thirdly, would a $100 CD player sound better with the expensive cables if compared to the $1000 player that has the basic cables connected to it?
While I dislike making blanket statements of components based upon price alone (there's a bunch of expensive junk out there), I would rather have my Pioneer PD-54 / Manley DAC with cheapo cables than the Toshiba with JPS Labs ultraconductors.

rw

daviethek
05-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Ok, here is a question that I feel is very valid on this forum. If I go out and buy a $100 CD player and hook up the basic analog cables that came with it would the sound improve drastically by purchasing $1000 cables to connect it. I know that this does not necessarily make logically sense, but what is the total potential of the $100 player. Is that potential fully realized with the basic cables or can an improvement be made with expensive cables.

This of course is going to be a huge debate because there are tons of factors, but I thought I'd throw it out there!

I agree with E-stat's reply. For the 100.00 players,there are lots of well made basic interconnects at aroung 15-20 dollars that will maximize the sound. I had a basic Denon platter job that was only slightly improved with good interconnects. A 1,000 dollar player however deserves interconnects that are engineered not to interfere with the sonic improvements you have paid for. My CA 640 is not a 1,000 player, but with the same 20 dollar interconects, the soundstage is very restricted and individual instruments noticeably less defined . This is where the discussion gets serious about the money spent vs. benefit. ( interconnects with battery packs etc.).

Fergymunster
05-03-2006, 05:08 PM

This of course is going to be a huge debate because there are tons of factors, but I thought I'd throw it out there! $100 cd player,you'ed be lucky if it lasted two weeks.So don't bother getting cables even you get them for free.

Pat D
05-03-2006, 06:09 PM

I have no idea what sort of interconnects come with $100 CDPs--interconnects is what I presume you mean since most CDPs wouldn't drive speakers. It is possible to build bad ones (I had a pair that weren't well shielded so got a lot of power line hum) . However, I still use some interconnects that came with the equipment, some bought at Radio Shack or Walmart, etc. They work just fine and no one has managed to prove that expensive ones will sound better--although there are lots of testimonials based on casual, sighted auditions. For me, $20 would generally be an unnecessarily expensive analog audio interconnect . . .

Fergymunster
05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I have no idea what sort of interconnects come with $100 CDPs--interconnects is what I presume you mean since most CDPs wouldn't drive speakers. It is possible to build bad ones (I had a pair that weren't well shielded so got a lot of power line hum) . However, I still use some interconnects that came with the equipment, some bought at Radio Shack or Walmart, etc. They work just fine and no one has managed to prove that expensive ones will sound better--although there are lots of testimonials based on casual, sighted auditions. For me, $20 would generally be an unnecessarily expensive analog audio interconnect . . .
Maybe I miss understood you.What's your point?Use the interconnects you have then.That's about how much I know.Good night.

Pat D
05-04-2006, 05:25 AM
$100 cd player,you'ed be lucky if it lasted two weeks.So don't bother getting cables even you get them for free.

Some of the cheapies are pretty reliable and Sensible Sound reviewed one that not only sounded the same as much more expensive players but lasted quite a long time. You can even get a pretty fair DVD player for $100 . . .

Pat D
05-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Maybe I miss understood you.What's your point?Use the interconnects you have then.That's about how much I know.Good night.

Unless he has problems with his interconnects (I gave an example), then he may as well use the ones he has.

Since many phono cartridges are somewhat sensitive to differences in capacitance, the phono cable may make a difference in the sound for LPs.

teledynepost
05-04-2006, 06:57 AM
The cables that come in the box may have quality problems. Any other cable you go out and buy will be fine. Also there is no difference if it costs $20 or $1000, they will sound the same.

daviethek
05-04-2006, 07:59 AM
The cables that come in the box may have quality problems. Any other cable you go out and buy will be fine. Also there is no difference if it costs $20 or $1000, they will sound the same.

I agree they may function similarly but that's where it ends. imo