Yamaha RX-V2600 vs RX-1600 vs HTR-5990 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V2600 vs RX-1600 vs HTR-5990

kbochat
05-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Well I hope there is someone out there that has had some interaction with these systems.

I have already figured out that the 2600 and 1600 are different, the 1600 seems to be a scaled down version of the 2600. The issue I am having is with the 2600 vs the 5990. I have looked at the spec sheets and from what I can tell they cool virtually identical. Is there something about yamaha and how they package their product that 2 product lines could be so similar. What is really the difference here to justify one over the other???

Thanks

PAT.P
05-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Well I hope there is someone out there that has had some interaction with these systems.

I have already figured out that the 2600 and 1600 are different, the 1600 seems to be a scaled down version of the 2600. The issue I am having is with the 2600 vs the 5990. I have looked at the spec sheets and from what I can tell they cool virtually identical. Is there something about yamaha and how they package their product that 2 product lines could be so similar. What is really the difference here to justify one over the other???

ThanksThe basic answer is HTR series are for big box store and the RXVseries is for audio store .There is a weight difference BTW for the HTR and RXV.Must be more solid built.

kexodusc
05-03-2006, 03:57 AM
The basic answer is HTR series are for big box store and the RXVseries is for audio store .There is a weight difference BTW for the HTR and RXV.Must be more solid built.

The HTR line is functionally equivalent to its counterparts in the RX-V line. Same features, same build quality, same performance etc. The sometimes exception being the presence of pre-outs on some RX-V models, but I think they've stopped that.

The chassis on the 1600 and 2600 are a little bit bigger and weigh more, mostly because of that faceplate layout. Note, this is dead weigth that won't affect performance, but does look a bit better IMO. I recently swapped a 1400 for a 5890, the 5890 had a bunch of upgrades to make it worthwhile, but I have to admit the loss of the flip down face does make it look a bit less pretty. Oh well. On the plus side, I think the 5890 actually runs cooler due to better heat dissipation.

I think the 2600 has a few options over the 5990, you may have to read them closer. Traditionally , the 5X90's have been equivalent to the 1X00 models.

If there's a feature in the 2600 you need or want, go with that - if there's nothing extra you're interested in, get the 1600 or 5990 and save some money. Sonically, all 3 share the same power supplies, amps etc...that power difference won't mean squat.

GMichael
05-03-2006, 05:11 AM
The 5990 and 1600 are the same beast in a different package & sold through different lines. You will never get a manufacture's warranty buying any RX-V receiver on-line. These are meant to be sold through brick & mortar stores only. Some on-line stores have an alternate warranty that let's get get it repaired locally if needed. The HTR's can be bought on line or through Best Buy. You can usually get a better deal on these.
The 2600 is a step up from both and has no HTR equal. They are mostly the same but the 2600 has Up-Scaling (480i to 1080i/720p) and a few other small extras. I like that it lets you store 6 set-up settings in memory. This let's you save separate settings for HT vs music etc. Here is a good link to get more info on them. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/receiver_main.htm

kbochat
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the help, I was actually looking at that link last night bouncing back and forth trying to figure out which model was which.

I guess the one thing I am confused about and has had me wondering this entire time is the upscaling thing. The next big upgrade for me is going to be and HD TV so in my mind I am looking to be prepared.

If I read the options on these three correct I thought they all had the upscaling feature on them. Am I missing something here?

GMichael
05-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the help, I was actually looking at that link last night bouncing back and forth trying to figure out which model was which.

I guess the one thing I am confused about and has had me wondering this entire time is the upscaling thing. The next big upgrade for me is going to be and HD TV so in my mind I am looking to be prepared.

If I read the options on these three correct I thought they all had the upscaling feature on them. Am I missing something here?

Be careful when you read upconverting not to think upscaling. These are not the same. Upconverting only means that you can input with component or S-video cables and then output with HDMI or component. It doesn't add lines to your res. But many people feel that upscalling is not all what it's cracked up to be either. Depends on who you talk to. You may want to start a new thread on that subject to get answers from people who know more on this.