Magnetic shielding -- affects TV or front speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic shielding -- affects TV or front speakers?

05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
HELP!!! I have two Vandersteen 1C front speakers that are "not magnetically shielded and should be positioned at least 10 inches away from a direct view television set'" according to the website:

http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html

I have a Toshiba 42H83 TV:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=42H83

Because of physical limitations and layout of my living room, I absolutely have no choice but to stand the speakers less than 4 inches from the TV (I am truly am stuck with this choice, so I can't debate alternate component arrangement).

Questions:

1) When talking about magnetic shielding, is the interference that could result with the audio, the video, or both?

2) I've got everything set up and honestly can't hear or see any audio or video interference from the speakers or the TV. Is it possible that I could just think everything sounds/looks fine but that there's some interference?

3) If I'm screwed and there is interference that I'm not noticing, what steps can I take to minimize interference? Or, is there any special cabling, components, or hardware I can buy that helps?

I've just joined this forum recently and have found much of the discussion very helpful, so I thank you guys in advance for any suggestions. Thanks!

kexodusc
05-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Your RPTV is probably not going to be affected much by the magnets in the speakers..especially if they're level with the actual glass screen.

If you haven't noticed discoloration and interference already, you're probably okay. It's very noticeable and immediate. And it's quite reversible...just turn the TV off, wait a minute, and turn it back on.

I have an unshielded 15" subwoofer beside my Toshipa RPTV, 4 inches...no interference at all.

I'd say you're okay. Oh, and please don't buy anything anyone tells you will solve a problem you don't currently see... :D

05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
So... the interference that would/should result then if there's a problem would be with the video screen, and not the speakers' audio?

Woochifer
05-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Short answer is that speaker magnets can and will create interference with CRT-based TVs and rear projection TVs. Your TV does not interfere with the speakers.

If you're already using your Vandys in close proximity to your TV and you don't see any color smearing or image distortions, then you don't have anything to worry about. With a RPTV, the CRT might already be tucked far enough into the cabinet that the speakers won't create any interference issues. It also depends on the speakers and their alignment. My current speakers don't interfere with the picture at all even if I place them right next to the TV, whereas with my lower mounted old speakers, the picture would distort when the speakers got within about 4" of the TV cabinet.