LCD for TV under or around 700$ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD for TV under or around 700$

taurusnyy
05-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Hey all
I am in the market for an LCD hopefully HDTV ready. I only want to spend around 700 or less. I was hoping to get the best bang for my buck and get that fine balance between size and quality. Currently I have a 15 inch lcd -embarrassing I know and I need an upgrade. Was looking at 19 to 32 inch but not sure if I can afford that much.

edtyct
05-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Unless you get lucky on ebay or are willing to buy one of the no-name LCD flat panels at your own peril, you'll have trouble upgrading in size significantly at that price point. If you can swing another $100-200, you might take a look at the Panasonic TC-23LX50 or the JVC LT23X576 at an online store that you trust or can be convinced to trust (they exist). The HD pictures on JVC's small flat panels tend to look extraordinarily sharp, almost three-dimensional. I don't recall color rendition being as accurate when I last saw them, but things change--and peoples' priorities vary. I liked the JVC so much that I pushed it on a friend who was in the market a year or so ago.

superpanavision70mm
05-02-2006, 07:48 PM
How long are you planning to keep this new upgrade before possibly upgrading again? I recently bought an Samsung 30" HDTV, but it's still a tube set. I did this for several reasons...first, the price. While the price might be much lower than what you will pay for LCD or Plasma...the quality is not necessarily that far off. I know others might tell you differently, but those people spending thousands on those sets are going to be sorry in a few years because they aren't compatable and the technology is not the best of the best just yet.

I will eventually upgrade, but in the meantime this will do just fine and I didn't spend a forture. I have the ability to watch 1080 HD quality material and if you look in my picture gallery you can see the quality it delivers.

Good night and good luck.

edtyct
05-03-2006, 03:49 AM
SuperP,

Plasma and LCD sets won't be compatible with what in a few years? I hate to tell you, but "best of the best" never exists in the present and won't exist in the future. Your strategy of buying a 30" CRT may work for you, but it doesn't necessarily work for other people in the market for a display now. Someone could easily say, "Poor old SuperP, he must be sorry that he bought his 30" CRT a few years ago, thinking that the heavens were going to open up eventually to show him the one true TV, and now all he can do is spend a good chunk of cash on a set from a wide selection of mere temporary possibilities just like everyone else. This is not in any way to cast aspersion on your choice, but the reasons that you seem to have made it don't hold up.

Ed

PAT.P
05-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Hey all
I am in the market for an LCD hopefully HDTV ready. I only want to spend around 700 or less. I was hoping to get the best bang for my buck and get that fine balance between size and quality. Currently I have a 15 inch lcd -embarrassing I know and I need an upgrade. Was looking at 19 to 32 inch but not sure if I can afford that much.I just pick-up a Sharp Aquos 20" LC20B6US with HDTV with connection input for computer last year model for $500 CND .This is a Mother Day present for the wife hope she like it ,it going in bedroom.This was the best bang for the money.In US must be around $400 for last year model.

edtyct
05-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Pat,

I've seen it in the low to mid $500s online in the states. Two caveats about it for someone who wants this display to do main HT duty is that it has a 4:3 aspect ratio and has no digital video input, which would function at least as a safety net in this day and age.

Ed

PAT.P
05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Pat,

I've seen it in the low to mid $500s online in the states. Two caveats about it for someone who wants this display to do main HT duty is that it has a 4:3 aspect ratio and has no digital video input, which would function at least as a safety net in this day and age.

EdIt's only for the bedroom and perfect size for it.Im slowly changing all Tv with LCD .I really want for my main at least 60 "+screen with all possible application(hook -up) .I'll will be gaining lots of square feet on floor having them on wall.:cornut: