Great Sci-Fi Movies of All time.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Great Sci-Fi Movies of All time....

superpanavision70mm
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
This list will include what are in my opinion the greatest contributions to the Science Fiction Genre through the medium of celluloid. They also happen to be some of my favorite films!

My list includes:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Metropolis
Blade Runner
Alphaville
Solaris (1972)
The Terminator Series
Planet of the Apes (1968)
12 Monkeys
The Time Machine (original)
A Clockwork Orange
Alien
Fahrenheit 451
Silent Running
Star Wars Episode IV
Tron
Akira
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Soylent Green (yes, it's people!)
Westworld
They Live
Starship Troopers
THX-1138
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet

Worf101
05-02-2006, 04:42 AM
Mine's a bit older:

1. "Metropolis" (1927) - Wow, what special effects from the silent era. Images stay with me still.

2. "The Shape of Things to Come" (1936) - Showed me that at it's best, Science Fiction encourages and allows us to see the world as we'd "like" it to be, not just as it is.

3. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) - The Red Scare, McCarthyism, HUAC, you name it, we had a lot to be scared of... and most of all we feared ourselves. Great cast.

4. "King Kong" (1933) - "Kong!!! The 8th Wonder of the World!!!!!" Need I say more?

5. "2001 A Space Odyssey" (1968) - Never seen anything like it before... The silence and cold of space so beautifully rendered.

6. "Them" (1954) - The first and best of the "giant mutated creature" movies made in the U.S. One of the great opening scenes in movie history.

7. "The Thing From Another World" (1951) - Howard Hawks creates a Speculative Fiction Masterpiece for the ages.

8. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977) - Wow the Aliens do land and they are kind and they really really like us!!! Well at least some of us.

9. "Star Wars" (1977) - A sea change in the way Sci Fi movies are made, seen and marketed.

10. "Alien/Aliens" (1979 & 1986) - You don't need massive budgets to make great Sci Fi.

That's just 10 off the top of my head....

Da Worfster

superpanavision70mm
05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't consider your list older...I have quite a few films that are older classics (5 or 6) to be exact. I am glad we have some similar titles ...I would agree with everything on your list with the exception of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, but that's just my hatred mainly for Spielberg. I hadn't thought of KING KONG only because I more-or-less think of it as an Action film, but it could qualify certainly.

Smokey
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Here is mine.....

Road Warrier

Clockwork Orange

Star Trek II and III

Stars Wars V: Empire Strikes Back

Back to Future

Jurassic Park

The Thing (Carpenter remake).