Where can I get a "How to Build Speaker" book locally? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a "How to Build Speaker" book locally?

emack27
05-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I've been to Radio Shack, Barnes and Noble, Curcuit City, Best Buy and the Home Depot looking for a "How to Build a Speaker" book and I can't find one.
Does ne1 know where I could get ahold of one locally. Just don't say the library please.

kexodusc
05-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Most people I know have had to order their DIY books, stores want too much for them, or don't bother stocking them.
Parts Express is as cheap as anywhere.

I recommend:
Speakerbuilding 201 by Ray Alden
Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason
Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System by David Weems

Probably in that order...LDC is probably the best of the bunch, but it's also the most complex and maybe a bit much at first. The Weems book is also good, comes with some good software and will get you up and running faster while providing a solid base of knowledge - and it's the cheapest. Probably the best for beginners.

SB 201 is probably the best all around book though, if I had to pick 1 book only for a beginner/intermmediate speaker builder, that'd be it.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=500-044

SB 201 and LDC are must haves for anyone serious about the hobby though, if you get one, you'll get the other one eventually.

Get SB 201 and go from there.

emack27
05-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks.
I was just wondering where one would find them locally. I already knew about Parts Express just didn't want to order online and wait for it to get delivered.
I used to have a speaker building book which Radio Shack published about a decade ago but they no longer sell them. In my youth I designed and built a few subwoofer cabinets for automotive installations.
I'm not going to design a speaker cabinet this time just assemble a pair of cabinets from scratch using an SEAS blueprint and what I need to know is how to apply veneer to the finished cabinets.
So which book would be more instrumental in the actual assembly as opposed to the design of speakers?

emack27
05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Now that I think about. I think that Radio Shack book was published about 25 years ago. Wow! Where has all the time gone? And all the money for that matter?

kexodusc
05-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Most books I know don't really have great details on veneering.

There's a lot of good internet resources though:
Somewhere on this site there's some write-up.s
http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips.html

Contact cement is often used, but by far the easiest is the "iron on" method. Buy adhesive backed veneer, heat up the iron with and go...take your time of course, but you'll get the hang of it.

I prefer iron-on veneer. The only downside is that you should wait a few days before applying stain/finish. The glue will cool and harden, and might not fully bond with the cabinet. Easy fix, just get the iron out a gain and press it down. I wait 4-5 days to make sure I see all the "bubbles". Sometimes there are non, but sometimes you'll find a few. It pays to wait.

Wait for stain to dry, and examine the veneer again to so if it's lifted off the cabinet anywhere, if not, you should be good.

I'm sure a few web searches and posting at the Parts Express forum will provide you with all the tips you need.

If it's a bit intimidating you could try the peel'n'stick vinyl (I don't like peel n' stick veneer)...no finish required and it looks good to boot.