Which One? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which One?

grasshopper
05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
trying to decide between the jbl ec35 and the bic dv-62clrs center channel speakers.any thoughts or comments? thanks folks

PAT.P
05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
trying to decide between the jbl ec35 and the bic dv-62clrs center channel speakers.any thoughts or comments? thanks folksWhat are your front ?

grasshopper
05-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Which Ever One I Get I'll Get The Matching Bookshelves From Either Jnl Or Bic.ithought I Should Have Put That In After I Went To Bed.

kexodusc
05-02-2006, 06:31 AM
The BIC's are ugly, and unknown, but that said, they use fairly competent drivers and solid, well built MDF cabinets. The JBL's aren't as good, IMO.

The 6.5" BIC models are right up there with most $300-$400 speakers. With a bit of crossover work, they can be modded to sound very good.

A very under rated speaker.

how much are 62-CLRS selling for?

Jim Clark
05-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Without having heard either one, I'd be very tempted by the Bics. Do a google search on Ed Frias who came up with the reasonably popular AR DIY speaker. His mods for these Bic speakers have a cult following. In my mind, if it was complete crap to begin with, he'd have found something else by now.

Not much to go on, but you did ask...

jc

PAT.P
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Which Ever One I Get I'll Get The Matching Bookshelves From Either Jnl Or Bic.ithought I Should Have Put That In After I Went To Bed.I had the JblEC25 (2 way)and it sounded good but it did'nt go to the low hz (when Im listening without a sub)for the voice.It was fine for the high (very clear)and jbl can handle the power no mater what people say .It is also solid built ,the Ec35 (3 way) is better than the 25.Just audition and you'll see .I would also auditon Paradigm,Energy ,Infinity in that price range.

kexodusc
05-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Without having heard either one, I'd be very tempted by the Bics. Do a google search on Ed Frias who came up with the reasonably popular AR DIY speaker. His mods for these Bic speakers have a cult following. In my mind, if it was complete crap to begin with, he'd have found something else by now.

Not much to go on, but you did ask...

jc

I bought my BIC from Ed a few years back. It was the last speaker I bought that I didn't make myself, actually. It replaced my Paradigm Studio CC. It isn't quite as good as the Studio CC, lacking some resolution in the highs but it's at least as good as the CC-370...smoother, a bit more natural sounding with vocals. Ed sells them for $170 or $180 or something inexpensive, they are a terrific deal...Almost 1/3 the price of the speaker it replaced. Ed matches drivers, provides a new tolerance matched crossover, gold plated terminals etc. The kind of work a $1000 speaker gets at the factory, not sub $200 speakers.

I would recommend buying the BIC DV-62CLRS from EFE Technology, with extensive modification over the stock BIC. For the price difference, there's a ton of value added. Ed's e-mail is:
efespeakers@commspeed.net

Note: I'm not on Ed's payroll, just believe in word of mouth on good value.
You can check the reviews of all the people who bougth from him. The other brands mentioned are worth a listen too.

Good luck.

audio_dude
05-03-2006, 03:09 PM
i'm gonna say it again:
JBL=
J unkie
B ut
L oud

they are crap, but they can blow the plaster off the walls!

filecat13
05-25-2006, 08:08 PM
i'm gonna say it again:
JBL=
J unkie
B ut
L oud

they are crap, but they can blow the plaster off the walls!

Dude, you really need to get past this negative fixation of yours and write about something you actually know about. Once is cute in a Bart Simpson way, twice is a bit tedious, and five or ten times is just plain obnoxious.

Get past it. Write something constructive when someone asks a question. I know you can do it.