Cheapest HT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest HT?

L.J.
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
If you call it that. I came across this browsing through the mail today. Cheapest I've seen so far.

http://biglots.inserts2online.com/BigLots04292006MASTER/breakouts/b100897_1.jpg

Wonder how this baby sounds :eek: Oh wait a minute I do. I have two buddies with similar systems. Let's just say the sub produces one of the most annoying sounds you've ever heard. My dad has one also. I think the sub has like 35w going to it. Believe it or not he doesn't seem to mind. It just drives my crazy :crazy:

Jim Clark
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
L.J., I've been trying to avoid bringing it up, but your sig is about to give me an epileptic seizure. Threads where you have multiple posts are killing me as it's hard to scroll through and get them out of the line of sight. If it's must me, I'll cope but if you hear from others I hope you think about taming it down just a tad. Thanks.

BTW, I bought a cheaper "HT" system. Tomorrow I'll go look up the particulars.

jc

L.J.
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
L.J., I've been trying to avoid bringing it up, but your sig is about to give me an epileptic seizure. Threads where you have multiple posts are killing me as it's hard to scroll through and get them out of the line of sight. If it's must me, I'll cope but if you hear from others I hope you think about taming it down just a tad. Thanks.

BTW, I bought a cheaper "HT" system. Tomorrow I'll go look up the particulars.

jc

It's cool. I change it every couple of weeks anyways. I'm a huge Dragon Ball Z fan and just a big kid I guess. I actually got a PM from another member that loved it. But he's a DBZ fan also, so I guess it was easier on his eyes. Anyways, I toned it down a bit. I hope the new one is cool with everyone. :)

emorphien
05-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I find "DBZ" to be pretty dumb myself but your sig isn't big enough to bother me.

Jim Clark
05-02-2006, 05:23 AM
It's cool. I change it every couple of weeks anyways. I'm a huge Dragon Ball Z fan and just a big kid I guess. I actually got a PM from another member that loved it. But he's a DBZ fan also, so I guess it was easier on his eyes. Anyways, I toned it down a bit. I hope the new one is cool with everyone. :)

I can deal with the new one! Thanks.

Dragon Ball Z?

jc

L.J.
05-02-2006, 05:23 AM
I watch Anime from time to time and just got hooked on this particular one. It originated as a Japanese comic and became very popular. If you have kids arounds 7 years old, like I do, they'd most likely know about it.

GMichael
05-02-2006, 06:02 AM
Well this thread isn't going in the direction I thought.

Hi LJ,

I like all of your sigs.
Back to the cheapest HT. I do have something like this. It was my bedroom system up until a few months ago. Paid around 75.00 including tax a few years ago. The sound was great, when compaired to the speakers the TV came with. Well, for DVD's that is. When watching TV it would never pick up the 5.1 sound. So I would just get 2.0 out. That sounded about the same as the TV.
Now it's a giant paperweight.

L.J.
05-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi LJ,

I like all of your sigs.
Back to the cheapest HT. I do have something like this. It was my bedroom system up until a few months ago. Paid around 75.00 including tax a few years ago. The sound was great, when compaired to the speakers the TV came with. Well, for DVD's that is. When watching TV it would never pick up the 5.1 sound. So I would just get 2.0 out. That sounded about the same as the TV.
Now it's a giant paperweight.

75 bucks huh? What brand is it? Is it a DVD combo unit?

GMichael
05-02-2006, 07:30 AM
75 bucks huh? What brand is it? Is it a DVD combo unit?

Brand? Don't recall. I'll check tonight. But it was one of those "never heard of" brands. I got it from a record store in a mall. Someone had given me a gift cert to this mall and they had nothing I wanted. It was either this or spend $100 in the arcade. Maybe I choose wrong.

Oops, yes, a DVD combo thingy.

Jim Clark
05-02-2006, 08:30 AM
No DVDP but my several years ago I found a product by Emerson Research called Cinema Surround. All of the processing is handled by the "sub" and sent to the other speakers which were equally high quality. 39 bucks at the Home Depot. It was better than the TV speakers and offered surround sound gaming for kids not old enough to realize how crappy it was. It's in a box now collecting dust. I have no idea why it's still in my home.

In terms of overall cheapness I may have a new contender for lowest price all in one system:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-1-Channel-Surround-Sound-Home-Theater-DVD-System_W0QQitemZ9720750060QQcategoryZ1499QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

At 64.99 it's bound to get at least a dishonorable mention.

jc - just doing my part to retrack the thread.

edtyct
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
What's sad about that little system is not so much that it exists, since somebody can make use of it, but that it carries the once-proud Koss name. How are the mighty fallen! John Koss started out in the 1950s making all sorts of audio products and breaking new ground in research, peaking in the 1980s with an electrostatic headphone. By then, Koss was involved in studio montoring/classical recording and worn conspicuously on the ear by all sorts of people with pretensions to good sound. Now? Well, L.J.'s picture says it all.

Woochifer
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
What's sad about that little system is not so much that it exists, since somebody can make use of it, but that it carries the once-proud Koss name. How are the mighty fallen! John Koss started out in the 1950s making all sorts of audio products and breaking new ground in research, peaking in the 1980s with an electrostatic headphone. By then, Koss was involved in studio montoring/classical recording and worn conspicuously on the ear by all sorts of people with pretensions to good sound. Now? Well, L.J.'s picture says it all.

I'd be curious as to the current ownership. It seems that a lot of companies that market generic bottomfeeder electronics have been purchasing the rights to defunct (at least in the U.S. market) but once well-regarded companies. Curtis Mathes, Sansui, and Dual immediately come to mind.

edtyct
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Wooch,

If I'm not mistaken (I could be), Koss still belong to the "family," but the direction of the company seems to have changed drastically in the 90s toward mass-market products. I wouldn't be surprised if this version of Koss leased its name to anyone with a checkbook, but it may well have "manufactured" LJ's $80 system (compare at $159) by itself.

Ed

L.J.
05-02-2006, 01:14 PM
No DVDP but my several years ago I found a product by Emerson Research called Cinema Surround. All of the processing is handled by the "sub" and sent to the other speakers which were equally high quality. 39 bucks at the Home Depot. It was better than the TV speakers and offered surround sound gaming for kids not old enough to realize how crappy it was. It's in a box now collecting dust. I have no idea why it's still in my home.

In terms of overall cheapness I may have a new contender for lowest price all in one system:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-1-Channel-Surround-Sound-Home-Theater-DVD-System_W0QQitemZ9720750060QQcategoryZ1499QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

At 64.99 it's bound to get at least a dishonorable mention.

jc - just doing my part to retrack the thread.

Not bad for a kids room. $44 plus shipping, you gotta wonder how much these things cost to produce.

GMichael
05-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Not bad for a kids room. $44 plus shipping, you gotta wonder how much these things cost to produce.

I like the 4" 10w sub. Bet that rocks the house!

Look out Barbie. It's an earthquake.

L.J.
05-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I like the 4" 10w sub. Bet that rocks the house!

Look out Barbie. It's an earthquake.

I saw that too! :lol:

My friends sub is like 35w passive. It makes this horrible rattle that just sounds awful. He's ready to upgrade.

GMichael
05-02-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, my original HTIB is a Tevion DVD6500T. I couldn't find a pic of it anywhere on the web. Just a few support groups of people who own them. And, I wish that last part was a joke. Google it. It has a passive sub also. Doesn't do much except a little thud now & then. Basicly keeps the tiny cubes from sounding like AM radio speakers. Bose would be a huge step up. Walmart HTIB's would be a huge step up. H.ll, just singing to yourself would be a step up.

PAT.P
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Not bad for a kids room. $44 plus shipping, you gotta wonder how much these things cost to produce.I love my kid and he deserve better than this. For the Ex would be perfect:ihih: