Lifting the sub off the grond? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the sub off the grond?

macsound
04-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Has anybody tried putting there sub on a speaker stand about 2feet? I remember someone at a stereo store alwill back telling me that the bass was crazy but I havent tried myself.

Is it better to poing the sub in the corner of the room or towards facing you at the couch?

musicman1999
04-30-2006, 07:19 AM
The best place to put your sub is different in every room.To locate the best spot put the sub in the spot that you normally sit in.Play something with heavy bass content,on repeat if you don't have a calibration disc,and walk aroun the room.Stop in many locations and you will find that each location is different in bass response,pick the one that sounds best to you and thats where your sub should go.
My sub is located on top of a old passive sub from an old system and it works great.Highly recommended.

bill

superpanavision70mm
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
I'll echo the thought that it depends. It depends on several factors including room, preference, and type of sub. People that want to shake while they watch movies like it near the listening spot...like near the couch. Others are not that picky about bass and merely use it as a furniture piece. However, if you are looking for integrating it into your system with accurate results you are going to need try several spots and use a setup disc to help you calibrate it correctly. Your other speakers will have a drastic result on where the sub needs to be as well.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-30-2006, 04:39 PM
One effect of lifting the sub off the floor is to somewhat decouple it from the floor, and thereby based on the height it is risen, decrease the floor to ceiling mode. Auralex has a bass trap that doesn't go in the corners, but under the sub to do just that job. It works quite well based on my experience. You neighbors below would appreciate this as it slightly reduces any floor (and to a lesser extinct the walls) vibrations which may be transferred from the sub.