In-wall sub-woofer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In-wall sub-woofer?

Tahoe Gator
04-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Anyone using or have any experience with built-in, in-wall sub-woofers? Mildly considering for aesthetics, but do not want to compromise performance, nor send the nose through the whole house. One difference is that most seem to require an amp, but I have an unused NAD 2600A, which would be more than enough power. Any suggestions appreciated.

kexodusc
05-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Anyone using or have any experience with built-in, in-wall sub-woofers? Mildly considering for aesthetics, but do not want to compromise performance, nor send the nose through the whole house. One difference is that most seem to require an amp, but I have an unused NAD 2600A, which would be more than enough power. Any suggestions appreciated.

What you are proposing is known as the "infinite baffle" subwoofer. I'm not aware of any commercially available models from typical speaker companies...Basically you need a suitable woofer and an amplifier.

The good news is there's plenty of subwoofer drivers available that work quite well in this design.

IB subs are great for home theater, and also well suited to music (though lower crossovers of 60 Hz and belowmight be required depending on a few factors. This design turns your whole room into a subwoofer, instead of containing it in a box.

If you're interested in building and installing one, I could provide some links - a good place to start is:
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/

Once you go IB, you won't go back. The only reason I don't have IB subs is my wife - but I'm still working on that! :D