New OSI ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New OSI ???

MasterCylinder
04-28-2006, 04:50 AM
Anybody here heard the new release from OSI called "FREE" ???

3-LockBox
04-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Here's a reprint:

The new OSI:Free is OK...just OK. There are a few songs on here that are pretty good and as a whole, this will do nicely in an MP3 rotation, but it isn't a cohesive effort like the first one.

The first OSI was one contiguous listening experience, with a central theme. The vocals, while not great, worked. The mono-toned, disembodied vox were a perfect juxtaposition to the cold, menacing, industrial/metal music. Gone is the suspence, tension and cohesion.

What we have here is a pretty good Chroma Key album. But not much more. And without substanative musical impact, the vox are less tolerable. Musically speaking, this is on a par with the last couple of Dead Soul Tribe albums, maybe not as good.

One telling clue was the sticker on the front of the CD that lists Maethos and Moore as the 'members', while in smaller print below that were Portney and the bass player under the caption, "with performances by", which seem to minimize their contribution, and IMO, it shows in the material. Its just not the congealed effort the first one was (there's no Steve Wilson either).

MasterCylinder
05-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry, 3-Lock...........I just missed it.

But, as always, I appreciate your review and your opinions.
I'm not surprised at your conclusion and, it was almost expected. To me, the original OSI was one of those flukey projects that comes together under the combined energy of the players synergy at that point in time -- to try to follow up on that and include cameo parts (or to exclude) for some of the original guys just doesn't seem like it would work.

I bought the original Deluxe Set of the first OSI release that included the tapes the way they were received by Kevin Moore...........what he did with them after that was remarkable. It truly did sound like riffs from Matheos and Portnoy run through the Chroma Key edit-machine.........which, for that project, worked wonderfully.

For anyone to try to get a sequel..........I'd be surprised to see it work as well.
Thanks, again.

Troy
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Judging by other reviews and comments I've seen around the web I will buy it whenever I stumble upon it. I suspect I might like it more than others because I LIKE Moore's monotone delivery and the whole low-key Chroma Key spacerock vibe.

DarrenH
05-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Very disappointed. I thought it was too much of a Kevin Moore album. And I like Kevin Moore that is, Chroma Key.

The first project was much better.