3 -- Jimmy DeGrasso

2 -- Neil Peart

1 -- Mike Portnoy

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2006, 05:14 AM
1. Neil Peart
2. Mike Portnoy
3. Tres Cool

I'm not sure how drummers feel about Tres Cool, but he's a large part of giving Green Day their signature sound and for that, I put him in my top three...even if he does have one of the stupidest names on the planet.

If you were to ask my drummer Hubby, he would put Terry Bozzio first and Peart second. Not sure who his #3 pick would be.

Mr MidFi
04-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Hard to argue against Peart. I'm not even a huge Rush fan, but that guy is a freakin' monster.

Bruford has tremendous skills, too.

I'm going to throw in the underrated Stewart Copeland, just for sh!ts & giggles.

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2006, 06:01 AM
Hard to argue against Peart. I'm not even a huge Rush fan, but that guy is a freakin' monster.

Bruford has tremendous skills, too.

I'm going to throw in the underrated Stewart Copeland, just for sh!ts & giggles.

I would love to see a drum-off between Peart and Portnoy. That would be sweet. I wonder who would come out on top?

N. Abstentia
04-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Peart is #1 obviously. I like Portnoy, he's just such a wanker though :)

What's Jimmy Degrasso doing these days?

GMichael
04-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Put me down for Peart.
Phil Collins isn't so bad either.

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 07:20 AM
1) Keith Moon
2) Mike Portnoy
3) Neil Peart

I'll take Portnoy over Peart. I think technically, Peart is probably more sound, but I think Portnoy has more, well, diversity for lack of a better term...just my opinion. I don't think he wanks, either.

I'm not a huge fan of the music, but I think Keith Moon gets the sligth edge here.
This is the holy trinity of drummers to me, no others are equal...

If I hear John Bonham I'll hurt someone.

Bernd
04-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Well for me it's these contenders:

Manu Katche

Chris Sharrock

Roger Taylor

Peace

Bernd:23:

GMichael
04-28-2006, 07:40 AM
1) Keith Moon
2) Mike Portnoy
3) Neil Peart

I'll take Portnoy over Peart. I think technically, Peart is probably more sound, but I think Portnoy has more, well, diversity for lack of a better term...just my opinion. I don't think he wanks, either.

I'm not a huge fan of the music, but I think Keith Moon gets the sligth edge here.
This is the holy trinity of drummers to me, no others are equal...

If I hear John Bonham I'll hurt someone.

What if I said John Rutsey?

Duds
04-28-2006, 07:51 AM
no one has mentioned Danny Carey from Tool.

Peart, Carey and Portnoy. toss em up and take your pick

Duds
04-28-2006, 07:54 AM
I have never listened to Galactic, so i never knew who Stanton Moore was until he played on the latest Corrosion of Conformity record, man he can play.

Olivertmc
04-28-2006, 07:58 AM
1 - Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)

2 - Stewart Copeland

3 - Jon Fishman

I'm always torn between the highly technical drummers (such as Peart and Portnoy) and those that are in the "pocket". While I'm often amazed at what Peart can do on a kit, I prefer listening to the playing of the guys listed above.

Woochifer
04-28-2006, 08:10 AM
My top three rock drummers:
Keith Moon
Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland

And my best of the rest in other genres:
Dave Weckl
Ronald Shannon Jackson
Elvin Jones
Antonio Sanchez

shokhead
04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
John Bonham
Ginger Baker
Keith Moon

superpanavision70mm
04-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Is this list strictly drum set drummers or are we also talking percussionists???

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 09:08 AM
John Bonham
Ginger Baker
Keith Moon

you did that on purpose:prrr:

shokhead
04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Whats wrong with JB?

Troy
04-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Terry Bozzio
Phil Collins
Chris Maitland

Dusty Chalk
04-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Neil Peart
Bill Bruford
...and I don't know who I'd put third...let me think about it...Phil Collins is great as a drummer...I also like this session guy named 'Machine' -- he's on a lot of albums...

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
my votes go to:

Bill Bruford
John Bonham
Billy Martin, (of Medeski Martin & Wood).

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Whats wrong with JB?

John Bonham is a great drummer and I love Zeppelin, but why is it anytime a "name the top X anything of rock" comes up, Zeppelin automatically gets a nod?

These guys were more than the sum of their parts, a great band, legends etc, but broken down, they're just outmatched by other musicians on a 1 on 1 basis...I won't argue Zeppelin being bigger and better than The Who, but Bonham could have easily been Keith Moon's roadie!!! No comparison.

Next someone will nominate Ringo Starr as a top 3 drummer....

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm surprised there's no Lars Ulrich nominations yet...the work on ...And Justice For All was killer...

see lots of Bruford nods...another great drummer, but for some reason I just don't think of drums when I think of Yes....

These guys get little respect don't they? Who's overlooked more, bassists or drummers?

Duds
04-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Lars has gone down the Pooper. The entire band has, actually.

I'm surprised there's no Lars Ulrich nominations yet...the work on ...And Justice For All was killer...

see lots of Bruford nods...another great drummer, but for some reason I just don't think of drums when I think of Yes....

These guys get little respect don't they? Who's overlooked more, bassists or drummers?

MasterCylinder
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I guess it all depends on how, in your own mind, you would define the genre of ROCK.

For me, Bruford does not fit, although he is one of my favorite percussionists of all time.

As far as DeGrasso, I don't know where that boy is these days......but as good as he is, surely he is employed somewhere.

Resident Loser
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
...Ginger Baker...Charlie Watts...Ringo Starr...

...of course that's if the ability to keep a beat is a primary consideration...

Jim Keltner...Terry Bozzio...Dino Danelli...Carmine Appice...Anton Fig are some others who come to mind...

jimHJJ(...ba-da-rump...)

shokhead
04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
John Bonham is a great drummer and I love Zeppelin, but why is it anytime a "name the top X anything of rock" comes up, Zeppelin automatically gets a nod?

These guys were more than the sum of their parts, a great band, legends etc, but broken down, they're just outmatched by other musicians on a 1 on 1 basis...I won't argue Zeppelin being bigger and better than The Who, but Bonham could have easily been Keith Moon's roadie!!! No comparison.

Next someone will nominate Ringo Starr as a top 3 drummer....

Two reasons. He's always in the top of a list whenever somebody that knows what there talking about when it comes to drummers.
The other is Buddy Rich said he was one of the best he's seen. Thats right there is good enough for me.

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Two reasons. He's always in the top of a list whenever somebody that knows what there talking about when it comes to drummers.
The other is Buddy Rich said he was one of the best he's seen. Thats right there is good enough for me.

Oh, well, I guess I don't know what I'm talking about then.

BradH
04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Stewart Copeland
Terry Bozzio
and...Hmmmm

Could be Phil Collins or Omar Hakim or Simon Phillips or....

Each of the above can move from techno-chops to sitting in the pocket with a solid 4/4 groove. Steve Smith did that too. Too bad he did his 4/4 with Journey.

Hell yes, Bonham was great. No one else sounded like that. Unlike most Brit drummers he played way behind the beat, perfectly with JP Jones (an underrated bassplayer). Both of them listened to a lot of James Brown and it shows if you listen strictly to the rhythm section. Very funky. But I would agree that Zep were more than the sum of their parts. They realized it the moment they first played together.

When I hear Yes I think of the drums. I played it so much my hands bled when I was thirteen. I haven't played in so long they'd probably bleed just holding the sticks!

bobsticks
04-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I swear to god I was just having this bizarre inner dialogue as to whether Omar Hakim qualified as far the "rock" category thing goes. Since I'm not the only one, here goes:

1) Peart
2) Copeland
3) Hakim
Frankly, there hasn't been a poor suggestion, and yes, Phil Collins is a strong drummer. I just have a hard time voting for someone that looks and sings like a pterodactyl...

Dusty Chalk
04-28-2006, 01:45 PM
For me, Bruford does not fit, although he is one of my favorite percussionists of all time.Well, first of all, have you listened to "Heart of the Sunrise" or "South Side of the Sky" in a while? Both 'rock' and 'drum' come to mind. He also does some serious drumming with King Crimson (the Red album comes to mind).

Secondly, I wouldn't know the difference between a percussionist and a drummer if you sat them down next to each other at their respective 'kits' and pointed.

Dusty Chalk
04-28-2006, 01:50 PM
These guys get little respect don't they? Who's overlooked more, bassists or drummers?Drummers have the most jokes about them. I'd say drummers get the least respect.

I'd love to see the following scene in a movie about a band rehearsing:

Vocalist: Hey, have you heard this one yet guys? Who's the member of the band who can't keep a beat...no, wait, that's not it how it goes...how do you know a drummer? Because he nods his head out of time with the rhythm! (laughs)
Drummer: How can you tell a lead vocalist from a background vocalist?
Vocalist: (quizzical expression)
Drummer: The background vocalist sings on key without effects.
(fisticuffs ensue)

Woochifer
04-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Stewart Copeland
Terry Bozzio
and...Hmmmm

Could be Phil Collins or Omar Hakim or Simon Phillips or....

Each of the above can move from techno-chops to sitting in the pocket with a solid 4/4 groove. Steve Smith did that too. Too bad he did his 4/4 with Journey.

Glad to see Simon Philips get some mention. He was a great session player.

Steve Smith also did a lot of 4/4 with Steps Ahead. He replaced Peter Erskine (huge shoes to fill) in that lineup, and did the right thing by not trying to imitate Erskine's more enigmatic approach and played more to his own strengths. People who only know Smith through his work with Journey will likely be shocked by how much range he actually has.

Good to also see Collins and Hakim getting mention. Surprised that I haven't seen anyone mention Carl Palmer. I guess with the list limited to three, the open slots are scarce since it seems that Neil Peart, Mike Portnay, or Keith Moon have shown up on the majority of the lists so far.

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Look, I'm not trying to start a flame war...Zeppelin is one of my favorite pure rock bands...(

If I had to go top 10, Bonham would be there...I'm just guessing my subjective preferences for music have kept him down, maybe...I'm just passionate about my three favorite drummers, with Moon's band being not being one of my favs...to me these guys are in a whole 'nuther league...

I'll respect your opinions...

I'm not a big King Crimson fan and haven't given Brufords work enough of a listen (though I do own the Red album and will give that a go this weekend, I promise)...

This is a great discussion by the way...

I wonder how much each drummer's respective group's songwriting ability is influencing our decision? Come to think of it, a lot of these guys did a big part of the composing.
I know for a fact Portnoy and Peart are heavy into the writing process - Vapor Trail's best parts are they lyrics he wrote at times (except live where the songs don't suffer from the hack job recording) And there'd be no Dream Theater without Portnoy (and Peart).

It's been years since I played drums regularly...just not that coordinated so I wussed out and went back to guitar and cello....

Slosh
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
And there'd be no Dream Theater without Portnoy (and Peart).Ahh, now that'd be a dream :D

Howz about the guy from Spoon
or the one from Richard Davies' band
or whoever it is from Les Savy Fav.

Hey, they're just good drummers and why should I know their names? But all of the above add greatly to the music without calling attention to themselves.

Hell, even I can play drums pretty competently and I've never even owned a set.

shokhead
04-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, well, I guess I don't know what I'm talking about then.

Thats not what i meant. Other drummers, ex rockers,stuff like that.:17:

shokhead
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Look, I'm not trying to start a flame war...Zeppelin is one of my favorite pure rock bands...(

If I had to go top 10, Bonham would be there...I'm just guessing my subjective preferences for music have kept him down, maybe...I'm just passionate about my three favorite drummers, with Moon's band being not being one of my favs...to me these guys are in a whole 'nuther league...

I'll respect your opinions...

I'm not a big King Crimson fan and haven't given Brufords work enough of a listen (though I do own the Red album and will give that a go this weekend, I promise)...

This is a great discussion by the way...

I wonder how much each drummer's respective group's songwriting ability is influencing our decision? Come to think of it, a lot of these guys did a big part of the composing.
I know for a fact Portnoy and Peart are heavy into the writing process - Vapor Trail's best parts are they lyrics he wrote at times (except live where the songs don't suffer from the hack job recording) And there'd be no Dream Theater without Portnoy (and Peart).

It's been years since I played drums regularly...just not that coordinated so I wussed out and went back to guitar and cello....

Damit,if you dont like my list i'm going to beat you like a drum. My drummer is better then yours.

musicman1999
04-28-2006, 03:50 PM
1. Bonham
2.Peart
3. the guy from Spinal Tap. cant remember his name.

bill

RoyY51
04-28-2006, 05:43 PM
My One-And-Only vote goes to a true pioneer of rock music... Hal Blaine.

For you youngsters not familiar with the name, take a look at your parent's albums (you know, those flat vinyl things in their closets) from the late 60's and 70's. You will see his name on the credits on MOST of the hit songs recorded during this era.

During his reign as the The King of Studio Drummers, Hal had two crews of roadies, setting up two identical drum kits at the various Hollywood studios. While he laid down the tracks for the session of the moment, the first crew would be packing up the kit from the previous session, then transporting it to the studio that was two sessions out. The second crew would be assembling the kit for the session to follow, then hit the road to pack up the kit from the session that Hal had just finished. It wasn't unusual for Hal to record five or six session a day.

Hal wasn"t in demand solely because of his stamina (although this was a major factor). He was a genius at creating new and innovative sounds. The reverb-drenched snare drum on Bridge Over Troubled Waters was his creation, since copied by almost everyone. I could go on, but since my dinner's almost ready, I'll leave it at this:.

No matter how old you are, or what your musical preferences are, I guarantee that you have heard Hal Blaine's work hundreds of times. He is certainly a true pioneer and innovator on the rock music scene.

MindGoneHaywire
04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
My One-And-Only vote goes to a true pioneer of rock music... Hal Blaine.

Thank you. Although I'm not sure I'd have him in my top 3, he's certainly up there. I do think Keith Moon is the guy, if you could choose only one guy for yr band. Then, Ringo. You can have most of the rest, but after those two, I'm not sure I can deny Stewart Copeland. Still, Blaine belongs there as much as anyone.

But my original list was...the cartoon version of Ringo, the drummer from the Banana Splits, and the chick from the cartoon version of Josie & the Pussycats...but in a pinch, I'll take Meg White, Dennis Wilson, & the girl from the Shaggs.

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Ahh, now that'd be a dream :D

Howz about the guy from Spoon
or the one from Richard Davies' band
or whoever it is from Les Savy Fav.

Hey, they're just good drummers and why should I know their names? But all of the above add greatly to the music without calling attention to themselves.

Hell, even I can play drums pretty competently and I've never even owned a set.

I can play 3/4 and 4/4...etc, start getting more odd times like 5/4 7/4 and I'll screw it up for everyone else...I started on piano, I dunno why, but moving to drums was always much harder for me than for my brother moving to guitar or bass etc...'cept he can't sing worth beans :D

kexodusc
04-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Thats not what i meant. Other drummers, ex rockers,stuff like that.:17:

I'm just pullin' yer chain shocky...

Seriously though, we didn't really define criteria...if it's a "who do we like" more list, I'd revise my picks a bit...if we were to put these guys through some sort of drummers obstacle course, well...I have a biased opinion on who I think would do better, but I could be wrong...
Everyone of these guys has their strengths.

And what's his face in Gov't Mule is pretty rockin' too...

shokhead
04-28-2006, 07:12 PM
You know who else isnt half bad is Ringo's son.

jamison
04-28-2006, 07:13 PM
1.Neil Pert
2. Jon Bonham
3. Keith Moon

Ex Lion Tamer
04-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Robert Gotobed
Budgie
Victor DeLorenzo

shokhead
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Little surprised nobody has said Mike Shrieve. Does he belong on a list?

BarryL
04-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm with Troy on Chris Maitland. He is awesome.

I'd throw in Nick D'Virgilio from Spock's Beard

Third, Antonia Sanchez. If anyone saw Pat Metheny's This Way Up tour, he was the drummer.

I'd also throw in the old Flower Kings drummer, Zoltan Csorsz

rob7
04-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Scott Rockenfield, QR, first 6 albums (haven't heard MCII yet)
Charlie Benante, Anthrax, drums, guitars, and writes a decent portion of their music
Lars Ulrich, nothing great lately though

rob7
04-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh yea, Rick Allen. Not the biggest fan of Leppard, but you gotta give that guy a little credit.

Woochifer
04-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Third, Antonia Sanchez. If anyone saw Pat Metheny's This Way Up tour, he was the drummer.

Can also catch Sanchez on Pat Metheny Group's Speaking of Now concert DVD. He was already phenomenal in that performance, but on PMG's more recent tour is support of The Way Up, Sanchez took it to a different level. A DVD from that tour is supposedly in the works right now.

ForeverAutumn
04-30-2006, 04:41 AM
3. the guy from Spinal Tap. cant remember his name.

bill

I know who you mean. Yeah...the guy who died.

:7:

newtrix1
04-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I don't claim to know a technically good drummer from a wanker, but every once in a while I'll be listening to an album and the style of a specific player will make me look and see who it is. Such was the case for Roland Orzabal's drummer; Nick D'Virgilio .
Also, Nigel Olsson, and a bunch of guys already mentioned a dozen times.

wayner86
04-30-2006, 09:41 AM
1. Buddy Rich
2. Buddy Rich
3. Buddy Rich

Wayne

shokhead
04-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Which rock band did he play for?

BradH
04-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Good call on Hal Blaine. There's a session he did on the original Smile sessions, a song called "He Gives Speeches". It's a simple 4/4 beat but at 3 1/2 he hits a tom. It rings out and rattles the snare, then the whole thing stops on 4 like he's muting the tom with his hand. Not impossible but I'm not really sure how he does it. The whole thing is solid as a rock like Steve Gadd. Amazing.

Meg White? No. She can't keep time. Obviously it's part of the charm of the garage rock ethos and it works with one other guitarist. But no.

Carl Palmer? No. He can't keep time either. And before Troy hits me with "Even drum machines can keep time", let me add that Palmer has no sense of rhythm. That's why Ringo was better than Palmer. I know for a fact that Phil Collins would back me up on that.

musicman1999
04-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Dusty

That session guy you mentioned,i was lucky enough to see him play live one night with Huey Lewis and the news.Huey introduced him specially and he only played on one song and did it sitting in a little red wagon.He was not to flashy but he kept time like a,well you know.

bill

wayner86
04-30-2006, 03:00 PM
You got me shokhead, Buddy Rich is a jazz drummer, but a legend nonetheless. My 3 picks have already been called in half the posts.

1. Peart
2. Bonham
3. Moon

in that order.

Wayne

shokhead
04-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Saw him many a time on JC. He played so easy it was not fair.