CIZEK Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CIZEK Speakers

paolippe
04-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Fano, ITALY, 27/4/06

Hello everyone at AudioREVIEW.com,
My name is Paolo, I write from Italy. I'm a Medical Doctor and Audiophile and I would like to make a review about vintage CIZEK speakers, produced in USA around 60-80 years by Roy Cizek a blind man who was known as "The Golden Ears of Altec Lansing". There is a very interesting website about vintage speakers with much material on Cizek at the following url: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcboard.php?az=set_expanded&forum=8&topic_id=46&mesg_id=46&page=#46
The Cizek model one and KA-1 in KOA wood were (are) considered by many listeners the better 2-way speakers ever produced: they had a special cross-over with a flat impedance which gave fantastic sound to these system.
DATA REQUESTED:
- Manufacturer name: Cizek Audio, Andover MA
- Category: Loudspeakers
- Product name CIZEK model one
- Price: no more produced
- Image: see below
Please find enclosed also some pics of Cizek one and KA-1
Many Thanks

Paolo Lippe, MD

swimjay
09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
I designed and built the enclosures for these, sometime in the late 70's. I always liked them more than the other minimonitors available at the time, and think they still sound great today. When these were made, I think Roy Cizek was no longer active with the company. I dealt with a man named (I think) Sheldon Feinstein, who died of a heart attack not long after the speakers had been launched. Perhaps he had bought the firm from Roy.

What do you think is the function of the ring of tape around the perimeter of the woofer surround?

Best, Jim

paolippe
09-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Jim,

It's a pleasure for me to see how many persons were involved in making these important speakers! At this moment I've got 2 paisr of CIZEK model one and a pair of model 3 which I restored for my Mother.

I've never listened KA1, but there is an audiphile in Spello (Perugia, Umbria) that is near where I live (Fano, Marche), who has this model and perhaps I will see and listen them in the future.

I think that the ring of tape around the woofer is a pure protection, like that you can see above the tweeter metal part and that could be removed, but I'm not sure.

All The Best, and Thanks for Interest

Paolo

marijka47
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I am running an estate sale and have 4 cizek speakers for sale--serial number of 2 of them is---2192 and 2193. I have no clue as to the value--if any one can help me out--it would be a great thing--Marijka

paolippe
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
It's important to know the model of these speakers
Hi
Paolo

marijka47
08-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Hi Paolo--where would I find the model number--the paper in the back of the speakers on has the kilo measurements and woofer sound--as you can tell I have no Idea--these were the only numbers I could find--thanks--Marijka

Heykayde
07-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Hi everyone. I used to work at Cizek in Andover Mass. The ring of tape around the speakers is the backing from a two sided tape that attached a piece of foam cut specifically to go around the speaker. I'm not sure if it was for audio reasons or to protect the dome tweeters but I'm pretty sure there was a ring of foam around the woofers as well, which were not domed, so probably for audio perfection. It sounds like your foam piece is missing, probably disintegrated by now leaving just the tape.