Service menu and red push question. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Service menu and red push question.

Highgear
04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I have been playing around with the settings on my new Panasonic TH-42PX5OU trying to get rid of red push. I used the AVIA calibration DVD but still have oversaturation of red at times. Can the red be adjusted by a service pearson without messing with the tint?

edtyct
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
If AVIA shows a red push that you can't eliminate with the user functions, the only other way to adjust it is to enter the service menu. Be forewarned, however, that just decreasing red may have an adverse effect on skin tones. Usually a red push is compensating for an excess of blue intended to create an illusion of whiter whites. If the blue push is left naked, the user controls may be even further compromised. You might check out what people have to say about color on your set at the AVS plasma forum. Barring any satisfactory answer there, ISF may be your best bet to get accurate color.

Ed

kexodusc
04-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Ed's absolutely right. Be sure to write down all the values in the service menu. Adjusting the red (which I understand to be 2 functions, red in whites and red in darks) may require adjusting other colors as well.

Many people do however notice greatly improved results by cutting the reds...we're more sensitive to red push than other pushes. On my set, I had to adjust the Rcut and Rdrv settings a bit...my blue actually became closer to the DVE/Avia settings for blue, my red, while still not quite absolutely perfect was also much closer...the green remains off a bit, but you'd never know it without an absolute green reference...the set looks great.

If you're comfortable playing in the service menu, it's worth a shot...just don't get carried away...you can bugger your set up pretty bad in there.