what do you recommend??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what do you recommend???

tingnting
04-27-2006, 04:38 AM
going to buy my 1st ipod, but also need a new mobile phone. Should i get them separately?? your thoughts

Feanor
04-27-2006, 05:58 AM
going to buy my 1st ipod, but also need a new mobile phone. Should i get them separately?? your thoughts

Apple iPods go up to 60Mb !! The very attractive iPod Nano goes to 6Mb. Of course, there are lot of other makes and styles.

I'd recommend device that isn't restricted to just MP3 format; at least look for WMA which is a newer, better format.

jinexile
04-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Apple iPods go up to 60Mb !! The very attractive iPod Nano goes to 6Mb. Of course, there are lot of other makes and styles.

I'd recommend device that isn't restricted to just MP3 format; at least look for WMA which is a newer, better format.

I'm sure you mean GB (Gigabytes) not Mb (Megabits). 60Mb = roughly 7.5 MB (megabytes) or 0.0075 GB or roughly 2-3 decent quality songs.

iPod's are not restricted to MP3, infact the preferred format Apple uses is AAC. WMA isn't really anything to write home about. MP3 is a proven and quality format so long as you get songs with bitrates over 128 (least I got is 192.)

As for the OP, I personally prefer seperating my phone from my mp3 player... but there are some benefits, such as when you get a calll you don't have to pause your song, most of the time the mobile/audio device does this on it's own. I think you can get an addon for the ipod that does this as well but it's probably an extra 100 bucks.

N. Abstentia
04-27-2006, 06:55 AM
I definitely wouldn't get one that does not support WMA. An iPod does not support WMA or WAV files, plus the proprietary battery turned me against it.

I'm very happy with my Sandisk Sansa, plus it has an FM tuner :)

jinexile
04-27-2006, 07:11 AM
I definitely wouldn't get one that does not support WMA. An iPod does not support WMA or WAV files, plus the proprietary battery turned me against it.

I'm very happy with my Sandisk Sansa, plus it has an FM tuner :)

That's untrue, iPods supports the WAV format. The only major format they don't support is WMA, and it's for the same reason WMA enabled devices don't support Apple's protected AAC format, they are fighting for marketshare (both sides) by forcing their own proprietary formats on the consumers. This is why I don't use either the Protected AAC or WMA formats, if I decide to get a different player in the future I have the option of transfering all my music to it regardless of which protected format it supports.

Feanor
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm sure you mean GB (Gigabytes) not Mb (Megabits). 60Mb = roughly 7.5 MB (megabytes) or 0.0075 GB or roughly 2-3 decent quality songs.

iPod's are not restricted to MP3, infact the preferred format Apple uses is AAC. WMA isn't really anything to write home about. MP3 is a proven and quality format so long as you get songs with bitrates over 128 (least I got is 192.)

For sure, gigabytes. I have 2 Gb iPod Mini that's fine for me -- though it doesn't include my whole collection by a long shot, I record to the AAC format at 192 bps.

jinexile
04-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Yea AAC's bitrate is a little higher quality than MP3s of the same bitrate. 128 AAC is roughly equal to 192 MP3

N. Abstentia
04-27-2006, 10:42 AM
That's untrue, iPods supports the WAV format. The only major format they don't support is WMA, and it's for the same reason WMA enabled devices don't support Apple's protected AAC format, they are fighting for marketshare (both sides) by forcing their own proprietary formats on the consumers. This is why I don't use either the Protected AAC or WMA formats, if I decide to get a different player in the future I have the option of transfering all my music to it regardless of which protected format it supports.

Ahh, at the time I was looking they did not. At least Apple is trying to keep up..now they just need to add support for WMA and I might consider one :)

An iPod IS cool, but fuction and sound quality is what I'm after. Also, I hate Apples properitary software. I want drag & drop in Windows which is why I went with a Sansa.

jinexile
04-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Ahh, at the time I was looking they did not. At least Apple is trying to keep up..now they just need to add support for WMA and I might consider one :)

An iPod IS cool, but fuction and sound quality is what I'm after. Also, I hate Apples properitary software. I want drag & drop in Windows which is why I went with a Sansa.

I seriously doubt Apple is going to liscense a proprietary format from Microsoft. This is why I try an stay away from all the properitary garbage like WMA/Apple's protected AAC/etc DRM sucks.

I'm not a huge fan of iTunes either, I hate random stuff that stays resident in my memory even when I'm not using it, so you won't get arguements from me there. I found that the iPod had the most sensibly layed out interface out of all the mp3 players I looked at and went with it because of that... some of the players out there are just play frustrating to use... I like the fact I can operate my ipod through my jeans when it's in my pocket.

tingnting
04-28-2006, 05:12 AM
thank you for some good pointers. I'm gonna go with separate devices, simply 'cause once the market is saturated with these present models, i'm sure an upgraded phone/ipod will be available in a month or 2..... 'appreciated'