Movies you can watch anytime... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movies you can watch anytime...

superpanavision70mm
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Ok, everyone typically has 2 lists when it comes to films. They usually have the list of their favorite movies and then the list of the best movies made, which sometimes they crossover and have the same movie on both lists. I will simply state that the BEST movies made based on technical achievement, production, directing, writing, etc etc are not always movies that I can watch anytime, so let's post movies that we've probably watched the most only because we feel that we could sit down and watch them anytime, anwhere.

Here are the ones that come to my mind...

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY -I've seen this film more than any other film and it is fresh every single time I see it. I am a Kubrick fan and not only is this a film I could watch anytime, but also one of the greatest masterpieces every assembled in the film medium.

REAL GENIUS -absolutely a brilliant film that gets better with age. It's a subtle attack on the 1980's/Reagan years in ways that are ...well genius. The title, the opening credits, the montages, the deep layers below the 80's teen flick are just superb. Also the film was shot by Zsigmond in scope...very rare for a comedy in those days.

THEY LIVE - "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum". Once those lines were uttered from Roddy Piper...I was hooked and I have been ever since. Talk about in-your-face consumerism and a obvious attack on the 1980's as well. Go Reagan!

NARROW MARGIN -underrated Gene Hackman film from 1990. Super tight suspense drama from dir. Peter Hyams. Solid film with great humor, drama, suspense, etc.

CONTEMPT -something about this Jean Luc-Godard film that gets me every time I watch it. Not sure why, but it just hits me. I love alot of his movies like ALPHAVILLE, but only this one can I watch anytime!

STARSHIP TROOPERS -not only do I love movies that make social/political commentaries like this film does, but it's a hugely underrated film that is in need of rediscovery. A brilliant Verhoeven film that hits all the right marks. Most people do not get this film, but it has layers upon layers that you need reference points to fully understand. i.e. TRIUMPH OF THE WILL

THIS IS SPINAL TAP -not much really to say on this one...it's one of the funniest movies ever made!

MCCABE AND MRS MILLER -I am not sure what it is about this Altman film, but I just enjoy watching this film. Maybe it has to do with the non-Hollywood ending or the superb acting by Warren Beatty and Julie Christie.

THE DEAD ZONE Christopher Walken and Stephen King...need I say more?

THE GODFATHER -pure virtuoso filmmaking! Just an amazing film on so many levels and of course...a classic.

There are just too many to name, but this is a great start I suppose...

Defshep
04-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Even though I own them, I'll still stop on any channel that happens to be playing The Lord of the Rings movies. Anchorman is also on my list.

KaiWinters
04-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Trading Places

True Lies

Basic

The 13th Warrior

eisforelectronic
04-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Old School

Eurotrip

An Evening with Kevin Smith

Starship Troopers

Hitch

Serendipity

Searching for Bobby Fischer

noddin0ff
04-27-2006, 07:17 AM
The Big Lebowski
Batman Begins
Donnie Darko

superpanavision70mm
04-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Good call on THE BIG LEBOWSKI....I remember when the film came out I watched it and was like...wha' the heck? I then proceeded in watching it again and more things came to light. Then I watched it a few months later....totally different film that time around. Then I bought the DVD and watched it repeatedly over the next few years and also made others watch it with me. I swear that movie changes with every viewing. The film is really about lots of things and is more a social commentary at times than anything else. I've read some interesting essays on the film that really made me think in an even more profound way about the film...for example how The Dude repeats basically what other people have said in earlier segments of the film.

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2006, 08:04 AM
THIS IS SPINAL TAP -not much really to say on this one...it's one of the funniest movies ever made!

I LOVE that movie. I don't own a lot of movie DVDs, but I do own that one.

Others that I can watch over and over and over again are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Field of Dreams
The Natural
Wild at Heart
Goodfellas
Scent of a Woman

If any of those movies are on TV, I'll pretty much rearrange my day to try to watch them.

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2006, 08:05 AM
An Evening with Kevin Smith

What is this? Is this Kevin Smith doing stand-up or something along those lines? I love him. I loved Clerks (add that to my list above please) and have seen every other movie that he's done.

SlumpBuster
04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Ahh, movies that you can even start watching right in the middle

I agree with:
Eurotrip
Shawshank
Goodfellas

I nominate:
Fargo
Almost Famous
Rounders
The Italian Job (Marky Mark version)
Rockstar (What's with the Marky Mark?)

And, indefensibly and inexplicably, Meet Joe Black.

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I was just taking a break from work to have lunch and flipped on the TV to find Planes, Trains and Automobiles was on. I had to tear myself away to come back to work and not watch the whole movie. So, add that to my list, will ya?

dean_martin
04-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Nice topic. I have to be in the right frame of mind or mood for many of my favorites, but these I can watch anytime:

Return of the Living Dead - I don't know what it is about this campy zombie flick, but it's been a favorite for a long time. It still comes on tv late night and I've stayed up too late many times watching it.

The Hitcher - another fun movie with Rutger Hauer, Jennifer Jason Leigh, C. Thomas Howell.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - as I get older this one may come off the list.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou? - this one may be a victim of overplay on TBS/TNT. I have resisted it a couple times.

Zoolander - I know, I know, but it's mindless fun.

Bottle Rocket - I have to thank some of the regs here for this one.

True Romance - so many great actors in secondary roles like Brad Pitt, Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, etc.

The Player - how would you describe it?

Agree with The Big Lebowski and Donnie Darko previously mentioned.

L.J.
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Aliens - I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!
Rush Hour 2
Matrix
MI & MI2
Rocky
LOTR
Behind Enemy Lines
I 2nd Starship Troopers & Shawshank

To name a few.

eisforelectronic
04-27-2006, 10:51 PM
What is this? Is this Kevin Smith doing stand-up or something along those lines? I love him. I loved Clerks (add that to my list above please) and have seen every other movie that he's done.

It's basically segments from different appearences Kevin Smith made at various colleges where he talked about his film making and took questions from audience members. It's really entertaining. It's also like 3 and a half hours long.

Worf101
05-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I've a long list.. I'll try and be brief.

1. ANYTHING by John Ford - "Fort Apache", "Rio Bravo" , "The Quiet Man", "They Were Expendable" Man I love this guy.

2. "Air Force" - Howard Hawks Masterpiece

3. "The Thing" - Howard Hawks at it again.

4. "The Godfather" I or II Doesn't matter - Whew I just love both these films. I guess I should buy them sooner or later.

5. "Red River" - Howard Hawks and da Duke.

6. "King Kong" - "The 8th Wonder of the World" The original... sorry.

7. "War of the Worlds" - I know more bad 1950's Sci Fi.

8. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" - Classic 50's Sci Fi.

9. "Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan" - Boy what a kick save this was from the awful orginal flick.

10. "Tombstone" - I must've watched this thing a million times.

11. "The Outlaw Josey Wales" - Classic and timeless western.

12. "Ben Hur" - I think Mr. Heston wins the race.

Dat's all for now.

Kam
05-05-2006, 09:09 AM
10. "Tombstone" - I must've watched this thing a million times.

hmm... ya don't say..... hehehehehe.....

Worf101
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM
hmm... ya don't say..... hehehehehe.....

Ppppbbbst!!!!:dita:

topspeed
05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Great suggestions so far.

Real Genius; possibly my favorite movie of all time. More one liners than you'd think possible...and I know them all.

Star Wars III, IV, & V

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1 & 3

Dutch

Home Alone (just the original)

Risky Business

LOTR

Clint Eastwood westerns, any of 'em.

Sixteen Candles/Wierd Science/ or just about any John Hughes 80's comedy.