Top 10 Speaker Manufacturers... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Speaker Manufacturers...

superpanavision70mm
04-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Let's see if we can collectively choose the top 10 speaker manufacturers based on a few key elements. Pick what you feel are the top 10 based on the following:

Design/Style - does the speaker have great design/build and how does it look aesthetically, also does it have options in terms of finish etc etc.

Performance -obviously this is one of the most important of all. How does the speaker handle and perform overall. What are it's strengths and weaknesses.

Affordability/Cost -is the speaker worth it's weight in gold? Obviously speakers have various price ranges, so does the speaker hold its value?

Options -are there various models which offer different price ranges, styles and performance options so that all tastes can be met.

Customer Service/Warranty -does the manufacturer have great service, protection, warranty, etc.

Misc-what other information do you feel helps to make this speaker manufacturer the top.

Florian
04-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Apogee and Perigee

Reasons:

1. The design is timeless and looks like a modern sculpture. I haven seen anyone yet who didnt love the design.

2. Perfomance.....well no need to comment on that

3. Cost, considering their playing league they are a baragain

4. Service is exellent, repair centers all over the world and no breakable parts exept for the ribbons but those can be replaced.

My other votes go for Avalon, Usher Audio and Martin Logan.

kexodusc
04-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Usher is cool. Don't get much on this side of the pond...just drivers.

I really like HiVi/Swan as well. They're building some great speakers and drivers (and ribbons). They've still got a few stinkers, but I suspect 10 years from now they'll be a major player outside of Asia instead of just a minor one.

I'm not a big fan of the sound of a lot of their speakers, but B&W must be doing something right, a lot of poeple do like the sound, and they've been successful for a long time. Design wise they are very good at blending conservative cabinetry with more adventerous styling. I think just about every B&W looks great (HiVi copies a lot of their designs).

Van Schweikert's look great, but I haven't heard enough of their models to to generalize performance.

In the value books above the $1000 point, Focus Audio is still my favorite...with honorable mention to PMC. T-lines just sound so much better in the bass region to my ears than most other speakers...except possibly dual chamber reflex designs.

I always liked Genelec too, though they seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

I think someday in the near future there won't be any "Top 10" speaker manufacturers, the market will instead be composed of literally thousands of small, regional manufacturers. Most of the best speakers I've heard in the last 2 years have been made by small, 1 or 2 man operations. They just don't have the time or will to go global, or even national in some cases.

There'll probably always be the big box store models from brands like Polk and JBL, Infinity etc, to serve as a starting point. Though I doubt many people would put them in their top 10 anything, except maybe value to some people?

superpanavision70mm
04-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Has anyone here listened to GRYPHON ?

musicman1999
04-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Hard question to answer,everyones ears are different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relevent.The best speakers i have heard with my own ears were a set of Focal/Jm Labs Alto Utopia BE.They are very large,expensive($25,000 cdn)and not that great looking to my eyes but they sound wonderful.The music was James Taylor and they were driven by about $40,000 worth of gear,but it was incredible.

bill

emack27
04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Hard question to answer,everyones ears are different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and cost is relevent.The best speakers i have heard with my own ears were a set of Focal/Jm Labs Alto Utopia BE.They are very large,expensive($25,000 cdn)and not that great looking to my eyes but they sound wonderful.The music was James Taylor and they were driven by about $40,000 worth of gear,but it was incredible.

bill
I second that.
IMO the JM lab and SEAS drivers are "worth their weight in gold." So JM lab makes their own speakers (drivers in cabinets) and SEAS does not. You'll find SEAS drivers in high end speakers such as Snell and Tyler to name a few. I prefer the SEAS drivers over the JM lab drivers typically.

Bernd
04-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I will only mention the ones I have owned or have spent extensive time with.

ART - Just superb in every way. From entry level to dizzy height. Real musical Emotion.

Zingali - Beautiful Range and very musical sound from this Horn, great with tubes.

Kharma - Outstanding but expensive and Coffin look not for everyone.

Avalon - Great build and spooky holographic imaging

Sonus Faber - Fantastic cabinets but sound not for everyone.

Pen Audio - Small Company from Finland. Very musical speaker and great looks.

Proac - Their standmounts are outstanding. The Floorstanders are so so.

Castle - Again great cabinets but sound is on the warm side.

and

Bose - For outstanding contribution to this Forum.

Peace

Bernd:16:

drseid
04-28-2006, 01:37 AM
I Guess I have eleven that immediately come to mind:

Tyler Acoustics -- Beautiful looking and sounding speakers that have the best customer service I have encountered in the business. Small company, but superb value.

Salk Sound -- Brilliant woodworking, superb quality drivers, well-designed crossovers... Another small company gem.

Opera Audio Consonance -- Proof that the Chinese *can* build exceptional speakers (both outright and value).

Von Schweikert -- I am more impressed with their higher priced models (the DB99 and up), but a quality company all-around, with a tremendous legendary designer.

Sonus Faber -- Classic looking speakers with beautiful woodworking. Pricey in some cases, but excellent quality.

McIntosh -- Many are fans of their electronics, I personally feel their line arrays are superb and while expensive, offer great value for their lofty price tags.

Spendor -- OK, not much to look at, but their "Classic" line has a nice heritage, and their standmounts in particular are worthy of it IMO.

Green Mountain Audio -- The marble enclosures are "love 'em or hate 'em" designs (I fall into the latter), but the sound is sublime.

Ayon -- Maybe not the best value, but super high quality sound, and looks that are also impressive.

Dali -- Speakers are a mixed bag on the whole, but those that work (like the Megaline and the Helicon series) work *very* well. Woodworking is right up there with Salk (and that is saying something).

Merlin -- These are very pricey two-ways, but after hearing the floorstanders, the quality sound is justification for the relatively high prices charged. I consider the VSM-MX floorstanders references for judging what a two-way can sound like in a small to medium sized room -- low bass is their only real achilles heel.

---Dave

Feanor
04-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Let's see if we can collectively choose the top 10 speaker manufacturers based on a few key elements. Pick what you feel are the top 10 based on the following:

Paradigm is a maker that offers a wide range of high quality products and deserves to be in the top ten based on objective criteria. Certainly their Studio line offers high performance at (relatively) low cost. They also have a wide distribution, at least in North America and a competitive warranty.

Check out reviews like this one from Soundstage ...
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_studio100_v3.htm
Also, follow the link to the NRC measurements page.

Their products are very stylist within the current, narrow baffle trend. Their top, Signature line is exceedingly handsome. And while Signature models do expensive compared the Studio line, they are definitely compenditive in sound and construction quality with boutique brands in their price range.

Feanor
04-28-2006, 05:04 AM
Dipole planar speakers don't work for everyone but they are a "must" for consideration by classical and jazz lovers.

Their style is "classic" too: simply a fabric covered panel with few embelishments. And Magnepan has offered sound warranties and service over many years.

The value of any of their models is great, but especially that of their lower priced models: MMG, MG 12, and most of all the MG 1.6QR. The performance of latter at under US$2000 is nothing short of mind-numbing.

See the Soundstage review ...
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/magnepan_mg16qr.htm

topspeed
04-28-2006, 09:52 AM
In no particular order and only companies that are currently in business

1. B&W

2. Paradigm

3. Dali

4. Martin Logan

5. Wilson

6. Avalon

7. Von Schweikert

8. JM Lab

9. Sonus Faber

10. Usher

List is subject to change hourly :)

superpanavision70mm
04-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I am wondering if we should put these into 3 cost categories...under 1-10K, 11-50k, and above 50k.

GMichael
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
No one has brought up KEF's?
Totems?

Florian
04-28-2006, 10:06 AM
I dont see the point in adding Paradigm or B&W to the list.(In absolut terms) There are many much better speakers from Totem, Kef, Ayon, Alon, Avalon, Perigee, Apogee (service is no problem), Magnepan, Final, Acoustat, Usher and many more.....

The cat. of price will only bring trouble in this forum. But yes, priceclass is very important.

Maybe some could start some poles in the 1K to 5K, 5K to 10K and 10K to 30K and 30K and over....

I would suggest we stick to the general budget area of this forum and stick with brands from 1K to 5K and therby i remove Perigee, Apogee, Ayon, Alon and Avalon from the list.

Feanor
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
In no particular order and only companies that are currently in business

1. B&W
2. Paradigm
3. Dali
4. Martin Logan
5. Wilson
6. Avalon
7. Von Schweikert
8. JM Lab
9. Sonus Faber
10. Usher

List is subject to change hourly :)

That's hard to swallow. Please explain! :confused5:

topspeed
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
That's hard to swallow. Please explain! :confused5:
Design/Style is part of the criteria and let's be honest, there ain't a whole lotta style in cloth covered monoliths that sit in the middle of the room. I didn't say I didn't like 'em, just picked 10 that met the criteria. In fact, I would probably buy Maggies over SF's, just because the Sonus sound is a little too colored and laid back for my taste.

Florian
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
You should see the Apogee live, they have a timeless design and style! :-) The Maggies are a bit booring after a while, but the Martin Logans look cool too. I only like the none hybrid ones tough

Feanor
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Design/Style is part of the criteria and let's be honest, there ain't a whole lotta style in cloth covered monoliths that sit in the middle of the room. I didn't say I didn't like 'em, just picked 10 that met the criteria. In fact, I would probably buy Maggies over SF's, just because the Sonus sound is a little too colored and laid back for my taste.

But personnally I find that classic simplicity much more attractive many supposedly high-styled offerings.

superpanavision70mm
04-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I am surprised no-one chose GRYPHON. I have heard all three of their loudspeakers: The Trident, Poseidon, and Cantata and it's an experience unlike any other. First, they look and are ...massive, not just in size, but in sound. They have incredible control, yet are classy and refined. When I saw them on display at a show...everyone looked on with envious eyes, especially when they saw the pricetag. Can you believe that they ship these suckers in huge crates? I forgot how much the shipping weight was ...it was rediculous..sad to think that someone pays as much in shipping on these than some people spend on their speakers alone. Reality check ..please.

Florian
04-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Well i think the reality check is not needed, i spend more on a DAC than some on their entire system. Everyone to their own, but the Gryphons are really good and so are their Reference amps. My friend uses two of them on his DIVAs.

-Flo

emack27
04-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I second that.
IMO the JM lab and SEAS drivers are "worth their weight in gold." So JM lab makes their own speakers (drivers in cabinets) and SEAS does not. You'll find SEAS drivers in high end speakers such as Snell and Tyler to name a few. I prefer the SEAS drivers over the JM lab drivers typically.
Oh. One more speaker that utilizes the SEAS drivers is of course Krell.
Well folks there ya have it. Hands down the best drivers for the money is JM lab and SEAS. So my vote goes for any well designed speaker that properly utilizes any one of these two excellent manufacturers.

superpanavision70mm
04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
FLo....are your friends reference amps from Gryphon really heavy? They look massive!

Florian
04-29-2006, 12:09 AM
FLo....are your friends reference amps from Gryphon really heavy? They look massive!

I havent lifted them yet but they seem to be like his Krell 250's and those are damn heavy when we caried them to my place.

-Flo

superpanavision70mm
04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Flo...not sure if I asked you this elsewhere or not, but where did you get your Sphinx? I am wondering if I could get one in the U.S. ...i'd love to listen to that!

Florian
04-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Flo...not sure if I asked you this elsewhere or not, but where did you get your Sphinx? I am wondering if I could get one in the U.S. ...i'd love to listen to that!

They are handbuild in Holland and quite rare. I saw one on Audiogon go for 6K used. If your interested i can get you Sphinx Project 12 Monoblocks.

-Flo

superpanavision70mm
04-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, for right now I am in debate over my next step exactly. I just bought a new house and I am probably going to set up a new room for music listening. The gear I am using now is going to be primarily for HT usage. Therefore I am considering several options. I would really like to just make a huge purchase and get it all done...I am really seriously considering something from Gryphon, but I don't know if I am going to make that much of an investment because I don't want to shortchange the other components. I am even considering planars since I will have a room dedicated to just the gear finally, which means space is available. Options options options. Do you think Krell or Classe would be a good option if I am unable to go with the Sphinx?

Florian
04-29-2006, 01:31 AM
We should talk about this, send me a PM with your number and i can give you great advice.

Flo

shokhead
04-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Infinity
Sony
Royal
CV
Bose
Telarc
KLH
Koss
Kenwood

jocko_nc
04-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Soundesign
Yorx
Mangavox
Coby
Emerson
GPX
Panasonic
RCA
Magnavox
Bell & Howell

Oh yea, the best: Bose.

jocko

Sentient Bipedal Mammal
10-10-2006, 05:55 AM
There are definitely some top-notch manufacturers listed here, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Polk. Granted, they aren't the best speakers around, but for the money you really do get alot of good sound and quality.

I'm not one of those people that will go for the cheapest thing around, such as Radio Shack speakers. Nor am I blinded by deceitful big names with no quality, like Sony, but rather a logical person. When deciding on my new system, I did the best thing- listen to every speaker I could find. Out of all the speakers, Polk won hands down. This is while taking money into account, mind you.

I'll nominate them for this list. Having decent, solid sound and excellent workmanship at very competitive prices deserves a spot in the top 10. Strangely, I find they sound much better than any Bose speakers I have heard. I think Bose is slipping into the Nike trend- lessening quality and relying on the name instead.

Another manufacturer that definitely deserves a slot here is Mirage. Some of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard have come from Mirage speakers!

audio amateur
10-12-2006, 04:21 AM
hehe you know when they mention 'bose' they are jocking. Everybody hear absolutely despises bose, and I have grown to despise bose as well.

anamorphic96
10-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Not a single person has mentioned Dynaudio. I'm dumbfounded.

I picked up the Audience 42's and still have not been able to pick up my jaw from the floor. While these are there entry level bookshelf model the midrange and high's are to die for. I have almost listened to all my cd's again and have not been this excited about a speaker in a very long time.

Are there no Dynaudio fans out there.

sethmckiness
10-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, I haven't seen Tannoys listed, hmm, but probably not good enough since they aren't made out of some expensive material and cost 10k...

jeffatus
11-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a pair of Dynaudio 3.0's with McIntosh Integrated Amp. I think that the vocals are excellent, jazz sounds incredible and the base seems very balanced and strong. I have not been impressed with classical music on the system. It may me because I have inexpensive speaker cables and connectors. It's a bummer because I really like classical and I am just not wowed like I am when I listed to Jazz or R&B....which is not really my kind of music. DId I buy the wrong system or do I just have cheap cable issues? HHhmmm?
Either way, I think Dynaudio's can run against the best in vocals/midrange category.

jeff

yesstiles
11-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm surprised. What about Epos?

hermanv
11-03-2006, 09:27 PM
No one has mentioned Thiele, haven't heard his newer stuff. The magazines certainly seem to like them and they claim he keeps improving and getting more neutral with each series.

Technically his designs make great sense. Any comments?

Quads?

misterq4u
11-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Jensen
Fisher
RCA
Audiovox
Acoustic Kingdom
White Vans
Radio Shack
Realistic
Bang Olufsen
Bose

:ciappa:

Feanor
11-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Jensen
Fisher
RCA
Audiovox
Acoustic Kingdom
White Vans
Radio Shack
Realistic
Bang Olufsen
Bose

Acoustic Kingdom?? Never heard of them, otherwise the list's pretty much bang on. :cornut: :ihih:

nish01
04-09-2007, 05:34 AM
BOSE
I think that bose can quite likely make it in the list because it has all the attributes that a good speaker manufacturer requires.Like bose speakers have the looks,are reasonably priced,have decent performance and their after sales service is the one of the best in the market.

basite
04-09-2007, 05:43 AM
BOSE
I think that bose can quite likely make it in the list because it has all the attributes that a good speaker manufacturer requires.Like bose speakers have the looks,are reasonably priced,have decent performance and their after sales service is the one of the best in the market.

oh god, don't get us started...

bose is overpriced and too small. that's all it is. they are not reasonably priced, especially not for what you get. go to a hifi shop, and listen to something real.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
04-09-2007, 05:49 AM
BOSE

nish01,

Surely you know that BOSE garners nothing but distain from serious audiophiles, therefore one wonders whether you post this with serious intent.

Consider the attributes you mention:

Looks: how important is that (unless you're a "wife")? Other than small, there is nothing especially attactive about them, IMO.
Resonably prices: there are many reasonably priced speakers and Bose is considered by many to be very poor value for the money given the quality of components that they use.
Decent performance: huh?!?
After sale service: I expect never to put this to the test.Don't take me too seriously, bro. You're entitled to your opinion.

hermanv
04-09-2007, 06:28 AM
You can't discuss speakers without a price bracket.

No mentioned Magnapan, long regarded as excelent value for the money.

Then no one mentioned Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, B&W or Vandersteen either. There are more, ho boy are there more. Speakers more than any other component elicit personal taste and value. Go listen, listen a lot, just don't listen at Best Buy or Circuit City.

PeruvianSkies
04-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Goodness gracious...this thread is so old it still has my old username on it...superpanavision70mm, which has been out of commission for 8 months. Sheesh.

Feanor
04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
You can't discuss speakers without a price bracket.

No mentioned Magnapan, long regarded as excelent value for the money.

Then no one mentioned Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, B&W or Vandersteen either. There are more, ho boy are there more. Speakers more than any other component elicit personal taste and value. Go listen, listen a lot, just don't listen at Best Buy or Circuit City.

By me. But I was shot down by Topspeed. :rolleyes: ;)

basite
04-09-2007, 08:40 AM
and sonus faber was also mentioned and so was B&W...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

samgupta
04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
hermanv--if your still looking at this...I'm with your recommendation for Thiel...they sound great, are decently priced relative their market. Costmetics...umm...let's just say that part is subjective. While their wood finishes are great, overall the shape of the speakers is a odd--at least it's down with a fucntional reason, however.

-Sam
PS. This thread is nearly a year old!

PeruvianSkies
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Can we retire this thread?

superdougiefreshness
04-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Jensen
Fisher
RCA
Audiovox
Acoustic Kingdom
White Vans
Radio Shack
Realistic
Bang Olufsen
Bose

White Van huh, LOL
Go ahead an retire this thread all you want, but I have to tell ya this was very funny to read. I laughed my ars off at the lists of favs here. And yes I have heard the White Vans at my local thrift store, they must be some dudes top drawers if you might think Yorx turntable boom box is high end. Funny thing though my mom still likes her old Fisher credenza boom box over anything she has ever listened to before. Thats why we just had to put her down for major ear wax build up. LOL Oh I also have a buddy from high school who just loves his Chevy Nova (1974) stock factory stereo, but he also has alot of resin in his lungs left over from our glory days that needs to be peeled off. LOL
:3:
Yeah thanks Bose, NOT.............a very good old drinkin buddy has partial hearing gone in his left ear from a mastoid infection and he swears by his dam bose system, cause his hearing is bad.......so go figure. It's really subjective at the end of the day.

So go ahead and retire this, but I have to say I had more fun reading this then most of the current stuff on here from the last month. At least it made me laugh......

Thanks

cl_steele
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
id personally recomend the spendors which arnt back brakingly expensive, the magnepans or the makintosh's <- that spelt right?
x

Hyfi
01-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Not a single person has mentioned Dynaudio. I'm dumbfounded.

I picked up the Audience 42's and still have not been able to pick up my jaw from the floor. While these are there entry level bookshelf model the midrange and high's are to die for. I have almost listened to all my cd's again and have not been this excited about a speaker in a very long time.

Are there no Dynaudio fans out there.

I was just reading thru asking the same thing. I have been using 82s as mains for several years and picked up a set of 42s for rears recently. I did hook them up as mains temporarily and also had a jaw dropping experience from a little speaker driven with an Odyssey Stratos amp.

basite
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
well, since this thread was brought back alive :)

in no particular order:

Thiel (I'm biased, but what do I care :)),
Avalon
JM lab (focal)
Sonus Faber
Monitor audio, especially in the "bang for the buck" rating :)
Wilson
Verity Audio
Audio Physic
Apogee
B&W

sort of :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Pat D
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
My list of 10 will include only speakers I have heard within the last few years. They generally have some affordable speakers in their range, but also have some excellent speakers in their line, and give good value for the money.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CPat%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtm l1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Paradigm
<o></o>PSB
<o></o>Kef
<o></o>B & W
<o></o>Dynaudio
<o></o>Quad
<o></o>Revel
<o></o><o></o>Thiel
Klipsch -- they do make some very sensitive speakers which are also quite good.

There are a number of others whose speakers I have not heard, or not heard in recent years, who make speakers that seem to be excellent (I rate this based mostly on the measurements) and mostly also have some relatively affordable products in their lines.
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CPat%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtm l1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
Amphion<o>
</o>Ascend<o>>
</o>Axiom--these would go in my Top 10 except that I haven't heard any of them for many years.<o></o>
<o></o>Ethera--small company, only two speakers in the line, but excellent
Focus Audio
<o>Infinity
</o>JM Lab
Usher

hotroady
01-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I have both Klipsch RB-75 and Martin Logan Clarity speakers as mentioned in 4 speaker shoot out with Lou Reed. Standalone; I would pick the RB-75 first, ML second, as he did. I drive my speakers with vintage tube gear in 35w to 55w rms range. I listened to these same speaks with Yamaha A/V SS unit. Flat lifeless, no midrange, even the bass was worse. After modding the ML's, (tightened muddy bass and opened midrange) and adding sub, The Clarity is now my favorite. My point is: Depends what you drive speakers with. Both the ML's and Klipsch sound worlds better with good tube power.Good speaker's will reveal the limits of their source, in no time. I prefer the ML's in low and moderate listening levels. When I want to 'crank it up' the Klipsch still has the more dynamic 'live' sound. Matching receiver, amp/preamp to speaker is part of determining which speaker is best for you. With that in mind, I can't suggest a top ten list.

sphinxter
07-04-2009, 05:32 AM
1. PMC
2. B & W
3. Wilson Benesch
4. Dynaudio
5. Thiel
6. Tannoy
7. JM Lab
8. KEF
9. Paradigm
10. Living Voice

PMC are my number 1 for many reasons - the simplest being is their professional monitors line many of the worlds best recording studios and talented musician's homes. Their household range is a domesticated version of their studio's.

I noticed that Wilson Benesch, Living Voice had not been mentioned - worth an audition the next time your in the market.

Worf101
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Snell
Thiel
Ohm
Von Swikert
B&W
Eggleston
Dynaudio
ML

These I've heard,

Da Worfster

jrhymeammo
07-04-2009, 01:59 PM
1. PMC

PMC are my number 1 for many reasons - the simplest being is their professional monitors line many of the worlds best recording studios and talented musician's homes. Their household range is a domesticated version of their studio's.

OB1i has been on my list for a long time now.
I have not been able to find a link to the spec sheet, but I recall OB1i has very linear impedance curve and is very tube friendly. I imagine OB1i will be happier with 100+ watt of power, but I'm sure it'll sound just fine with less.

Have you heard the pair of OB1i?

JRA

sphinxter
07-04-2009, 04:54 PM
OB1i has been on my list for a long time now.
I have not been able to find a link to the spec sheet, but I recall OB1i has very linear impedance curve and is very tube friendly. I imagine OB1i will be happier with 100+ watt of power, but I'm sure it'll sound just fine with less.

Have you heard the pair of OB1i?

JRA

Afraid not, I have heard the DB1, FB1, EB1 which were all very impressive.
Check out this page PMC OB1i Specs & Reviews (http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=174)

They have been reviewed favorably by HiFi World, HiFi Choice and HiFi+ (links to reviews are on the page.

I'm in the market for a new pair of speakers. Either PMC PB1i (favored - trying to arrange a demo with my electronics) or B&W 803D, MA PL300, Wilson Benesch Curve. However the more and more i learn about the PB1i - the more they appeal. But due to the financial outlay - i'm making sure that its the best choice based on listening.

jrhymeammo
07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey Sphinex,

You got some nice list of floorstanders. What will you be powering with?
We would love to hear your impression of PB1i.

I'm not so crazy about 803D for the money, but the sound is very good. Have you considered Dali Euphonia?

3db
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I only saw PSB mentioned once and its probably Canada's most underated speaker yet its performance is 2nd to none in many price classes that it caters too.

RGA
07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't have a top 10 manufacturer of speakers because I don't necessarily like every speaker from each maker - but I will give you my top ten loudspeakers in no particular order

Audio Note AN E(Several variations but I'll count as one)
Audio Note AN J/Spe
Tannoy Prestige Royal Westminster SE
Tannoy Kensington SE
Quad 2905
Soundlabs U1
Klipsch Klipschhorn
Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater A7
Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage
B&W Model Nautilus

Honourable mentions: JM Labs Utopia, JM Labs Mezza Utopia, Dynaudio Evidence Master, Infinity Beta RS, Gershman Acoustics Gap 828, Avanteguarde Acoustic Duos, B&W Matrix 801, Audio Note AN K/Spe, Reference 3a MM De Capo (original version), Sonus Faber Cremona, PMC MB2i, PMC TB2i, ATC SCM 100 actives.

hermanv
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Sonus Faber fans seem to be few and quiet, at least for this Forum.

Also did anyone mention the Pearl (Joseph Audio)

javamark
07-18-2009, 01:03 AM
The top ten speaker manufacturers, based purely on the speakers I have listened to in my order of preference:

Elac
Monitor Audio (platinum series)
Duntech
B&W
Sonus Faber
Audiovector
JM Lab
Legend
Orpheus
KEF

I haven't had the pleasure of listening to Wilson or Dynaudio speakers, but I'm sure they would be right up there.

HoaHoang
07-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi everybody !
I have the choice between Dynaudio Audience 72 and Martin Logan Preface
Help me, Please !
many thanks

JoeE SP9
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi everybody !
I have the choice between Dynaudio Audience 72 and Martin Logan Preface
Help me, Please !
many thanks
It really depends on many things.
room size
associated equipment
type of music you listen to
how loud will you play it

Which ones do you like best?

As for myself, I'm an electrostatic kind of guy. Martin Logan's would be my choice.

winston16
10-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate if you had a view re the new Monitor Audio PL200s or the new Tannoy DC8Ts? The final two speakers in my selection process after hearing about 15 different pairs. I like a wide range of music and am driving the speakers through two Cyrus Mono blocks (150 W each).

Thanks,

W16

atomicAdam
10-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate if you had a view re the new Monitor Audio PL200s or the new Tannoy DC8Ts? The final two speakers in my selection process after hearing about 15 different pairs. I like a wide range of music and am driving the speakers through two Cyrus Mono blocks (150 W each).

Thanks,

W16

W16, This seems like it is new thread worthy. Why don't you start a new thread with this info and I'll delete this post from this thread.

-aA