Top 10. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Top 10.

superpanavision70mm
04-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, let's see what everyone chooses for this particular thread. The goal is to list 10 CD, HDCD, DVD-A, SACD, or other disc medium recordings that get the most play in your system. My top 10 are as follows...

Moody Blues SEVEN SOJOURN (DTS-CD)
Elton John CAPTAIN FANTASTIC...(SACD)
Billy Joel THE STRANGER (SACD)
The Who TOMMY (SACD)
Mike Marshal GATOR STRUT (SACD)
Sarah McLachlan FUMBLING TOWARDS ECTASY (lim.ed. Gold disc)
Ravel's BOLERO (MoFi SACD)
Beck SEA CHANGE (SACD)
Heaven's Gate Soundtrack (remaster Ryko CD)
Meet Joe Black Soundtrack (HDCD)

There is alot of variety here and that's one reason why these get played alot. I also have a variety in terms of formats too and great examples of 2.0, 4.0, and 5.1. The Moody Blues DTS-CD has one of the most interesting 5.1 mixes and it's too bad that the DTS-CD's did not take off like they could have....although looking back it's easy to see why (they should have layered them so you can play them on reg. CD players too like you can with SACD). Although the problem is that the DTS would have been too compressed to get all that information on the disc. There are also great examples of subtle delicate music here that has incredible refinement, which most listeners assume that you need something with lots of activity to demonstrate superb sound, not the case. i.e. MEET JOE BLACK soundtrack has great examples of this all over! The Heaven's Gate soundtrack is wonderful with loads of acoustic guitar that enable a good demonstration of solo instrumentation. I also like to listen to more modern mixes like the Beck to give better examples of recording technology and mixing. The Elton John SACD's that are out there are all very impressive, but there is something even more incredible about CAPTAIN FANTASTIC that I can't put my finger on just yet. Perhaps it's just one of my favorite albums and that's all there is to it. The classical music comes out mainly with the BOLERO disc because it's just incredible to hear the gradual increase of layers with the symphony and in a 4.0 configuration like the original Quadphonic recording it plays incredibly well. The Mike Marshal GATOR STRUT has a beautiful reworking of one of my favorite Beatles songs "Because" and contains some incredible fidelity to showcase your speakers like no other. It's a 2.0 DSD example that shows awesome imaging.

newtrix1
04-27-2006, 12:46 PM
The Elton John SACD's that are out there are all very impressive, but there is something even more incredible about CAPTAIN FANTASTIC that I can't put my finger on just yet. Perhaps it's just one of my favorite albums and that's all there is to it.

It's always been my personal fav EJ album. I love the way all the songs flow into each other, a true album as opposed to a collection of songs. Nigel Ollson (sp?) also stands out as one of that periods most distinctive drummers.
Other mofi releases which I continue to play on a regular basis are Aja and Stings Nothing Like the Sun.

superpanavision70mm
04-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Sounds like you have great taste...kinda like me! Hahaaaa

Mark111867
05-02-2006, 03:58 AM
OK. I'll take a stab at it. Here goes:

1. Jimmy Buffett- Changes In Lattitudes Changes In Attitudes
2. Bill Morrissey- Night Train
3. The Band- The Band
4. The Moody Blues- Seventh Sojourn
5. Garnet Rogers- Firefly
6. Strawbs- Ghosts
7. Bill Staines- Sandstone Cathedrals
8. Jimmy Buffett- A White Sportcoat and a Pink Crustacean
9. Aengus Finnan- North Wind
10. Steely Dan- Katy Lied

The formats are just the regular stereo formats. The only note is the 1st Jimmy Buffett cd which is a gold cd. The Strawbs disc is a re-master also.

BinFrog
05-02-2006, 05:41 AM
I think I will stick to just SACD and DVD-A discs for this post. I think I own maybe 80-90 of both. Here are the ones I think I listen to the most:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD)
Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club (DVD-Audio)
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The Village Vanguard (SACD)
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (SACD)
Blue Man Group - Blue Man Group Audio (DVD-Audio)
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (SACD)
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (SACD)
Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live (SACD) (Quite possibly the best sounding SACD I have ever heard)
Talking Heads - Brick (Multi-Channel DualDisc/DVD-Audio) (Is this cheating?)
Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness (SACD)

I also listen to The Police's "Synchronicity" on SACD a fair amount.

superpanavision70mm
05-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I had some slight problems with the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON mix...I actually have read a few interviews about the mix and even admitted there are some problems with certain creative liberties taken.

Swish
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
it's very hard to find many the kind of music I like in DTS or SACD formats. Yes, there are some good jazz titles available, and a few decent rockers already mentioned (Beck, The Band), but I really have no desire to hear Elton John, Billy Joel, or Jimmy Buffet in the first place, much less on more expensive CD formats. I'm not trying to be critical of the responses so far, but I gotta say that it appears the record companies are catering to an older, wealthier clientel who can afford better audio systems and expensive formats, hence the aforementioned titles that they're putting out.

I will mention that the very best recording I have in DTS is Soul to Sol by Freddie Ravel. The sonics are stunning on my 7.1 system, although it's really not my kind of music (Latin tinged jazz).

Swish