Wouldnt this setup creat a short? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wouldnt this setup creat a short?

jrhymeammo
04-26-2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFile/speakermodel/ASW600_650manual.pdf

I was wondering about the drawing for the Figure 10. Is this possible?

I was thinking about doing this for my bookself speakers, tube integrated, and my Paradigm PW2200. I know that drawing is for BW sub, but I didnt read anything about their properitary design that allows this set up. I am worried that my receiver with creat some sort of short or feedback.

Has any ever tried this set up?

markw
04-27-2006, 04:15 AM
That'sa 71 page pdf file. Can you at least specify a page number?

Pat D
04-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Figure 10 shows the amplifier outputs connected to both the main speakers and the speaker level inputs of the subwoofer. This is one of the normal configurations and I don't see why it would cause a short.

In this configuration, the full range signal is sent to the main speakers. The settings of the subwoofer's low pass filter determine how high the subwoofer will go.

Figure 12 shows the amplifier outputs connected to the speaker level inputs of the sub and the speakers connected to the speaker level outputs of the sub. This configuration filters out the bass to the main speaker at 6 dB per octave below 80 Hz (per the specs). I would consider this configuration more desirable than that in figure 10 as it relieves the main speakers of the responsibility for reproducing the deep bass.

I take it you do no have pre-out so as to send a line level signal to the sub and then from the sub back to the amplifier. This would filter out the bass to the amplifer section and hence to the speakers at 18 dB per octave (3rd order filter).

jrhymeammo
04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Opps, sorry about that, It is on the bottom of Page 5. Thanks for more info Pat D, I had always used sub-out so this was very new to me. I decided with figure 10 since I do not have extra pair of good speaker wires. The speaker termination on back of my Paradigm is a joke. I prefer to send signal from my tube integrated to my mains speakers rather than using subs speaker out. My receiver has secure gold plated solid metal speaker outputs, and sounds better than figure 12. Thank you guys for the help.