Remote Suggestions...? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Remote Suggestions...?

superpanavision70mm
04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Hello all those that dare enter this thread...

I am looking at finally breaking down and getting a universal remote. I guess having 10 remotes is finally getting tiresome. I don't mind it so much, but my wife goes bonkers! So, I am in need of a simple-to-use, yet also has advanced functions. It would need to control (2) DVD players (1) CD player (1) receiver (1) TV (1) cable box (2 amps by programming). I would prefer something that has a display and perhaps touch screen. What would everyone recommend based on experience?

topspeed
04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
First, go to remotecentral.com and start doing a bit of research. There's a staggering array of options available to you, but it seems like the Harmony 880 is the one getting most of the buzz lately. It's web programmable (a HUGE advantage), small, rechargeable (incl's. docking station), color display, and most importantly for your wife, it features activity based macros.

The Phillips Pronto is very popular as well, but I'd caution against buying a full touchscreen based remote. They look cool, but speaking from experience touch screens are a pain. You always have to look at the keypad to do anything as there is no tactile feedback. This may not sound like much, but if you channel surf at all, it becomes a major distraction. I'm considering tossing my Sony RMAV3000 for this exact reason, even tho it is a very competent remote.

Hope this helps.

musicman1999
04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I have been using a Harmony 659 for about 18 months.It currently runs reciever,sacd player,cd player,dvd player,television,playstation2,and 2 vcrs.Online programing makes things very easy,macro commands are easy to set up and you can even download tv listings which will display on the screen.Only gripe is it is hard on batterys but if you get the 880 you get a recharge station,but it costs about $100.00 more.

bill

N. Abstentia
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Harmony 880 all the way.

I only have TWO nitpicks about it:

1) The buttons are rather small, especially the volume and the 8 top function buttons.
2) The charging base is flaky, you just have to make sure it's in the charger right. Logitech sent me a new charger but it's worse than the old one!

These are minor things becuase you don't use those small buttons contantly, and once it's in the charging base it's fine. I wouldn't hesitate to get the 880.

agtpunx40
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
N. Abstentia is right, this thing is sweet, although not perfect. I bought one a few weeks ago for $125 - $50 rebate (if it goes through, an accepted risk). I had been using a cameleon, which was ok, but the Harmony 880 is realy a whole 'nother level. It's great how completely customizable it is. You can really make it do pretty much anything that you want it to. It's not perfect though. Probably the most common complaint is that the buttons are too small. It's true, you will end up hitting an extra button every once in a while, but the benefits are worth it. The set up is easy, and any problems you do have, the customer service can help you take care of it. If you have anybody around who has a little trouble with the HT, the help function can be a lifesaver for them if something gets mixed up with the macros, which will happen less often with the 880 than most other remotes.

EdwardGein
04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
If I were you, I'd first determine what your budget is & then get a Harmony online (Ebay, Amazon, etc.) If you can get an 880 for $125 do it. I got the 676 two years ago, actually 2 of them & they're great & I can imagine you can get that alot cheaper than the 880.

For myself, as I have my home theaters in both my living room & bedroom, even though most of my equipment, bar the HDTV's are all the same, I found it best to have 2 seperate Harmony remotes.

superpanavision70mm
04-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Harmony 880 seems like the winner. Has anyone tried the Sony RM-AX4000?

KaiWinters
04-27-2006, 01:58 AM
I too own the Harmony 659 and love it.
It is easy to set up and very easy to use. One button programming...watch tv, even goes to the channel you set as primary...watch movie...listen to radio, etc.
Decent sized buttons but no cool display just a plain Jane display but it works and updating it on the Logitech site is quite easy.

topspeed
04-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Harmony 880 seems like the winner. Has anyone tried the Sony RM-AX4000?
The 4000 is a version of the 3000 I use. Get the Harmony. I'm not kidding when I say using the touchscreen instead of hard buttons is a pain in the a$$. Plus, the Harmony uses rechargeable batteries while you have to constantly feed the Sony AA's.

Love the avatar. Do you still run?