Newbie question about subs. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about subs.

JServ
01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
I was given a velodyne vx-10 for x-mas to be used in my dorm room . I'm happy with it's performance, but i only wish it went a little lower. Unfortunately, I can't return the sub, so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to "upgrade" it. For instance, I was looking on partsexpress at all there different woofers. Is it possible to buy a 10" woofer and replace the current one in the box? If so, will this change anything?

I know very little about the parts that make subs work. I guess my main question is, what, if anything, can I do to improve my vx-10. Thanks.

This Guy
01-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Velodyne made that enclosure specifically for that 10" driver. Other drivers will sound worse then that. Also tinkering with it will void the warranty and lose almost all resale value. So I say you get as much money out of it as you can, save up maybe $200 and make your own sub with parts from partsexpress.com. People really like the $75 15" Quatro sub in a sealed box of 3 cubic feet, pair it with a $120 250 watt plate amp and some wood and you got an awesome sub for under $200.. Partsexpress has a forum kinda like this and those guys tried everything and know their stuff. That's just an idea, theres plenty of low cost sub solutions (DIY of course).

-Joey

Geoffcin
01-26-2004, 04:07 PM
I was given a velodyne vx-10 for x-mas to be used in my dorm room . I'm happy with it's performance, but i only wish it went a little lower. Unfortunately, I can't return the sub, so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to "upgrade" it. For instance, I was looking on partsexpress at all there different woofers. Is it possible to buy a 10" woofer and replace the current one in the box? If so, will this change anything?

I know very little about the parts that make subs work. I guess my main question is, what, if anything, can I do to improve my vx-10. Thanks.

There's nothing you can really do to it that will help, and be cost effective. If your happy with it's performance, then you might just add another and get double the output. Or if your looking to get lower bass, then sell it and buy a larger subwoofer.

Bryan
01-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Have you calibrated it yet for your dorm room? It may be your are expecting more punch from it whereas it is performing now exactly as it should. Another thing to do is play with the location of the sub.

chimera128
02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
If you don't have the sub in a corner, try moving it into one. This will help lower the frequency response. A Definitive Technology Supercube Reference goes to about 15 hz out of the corner, but in the corner it will go to 11hz. Try moving the sub around the room and see if you can get better performance.