Gruv Glide? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gruv Glide?

DaHaq
04-25-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm interested in trying this product as I've heard rave reviews but thought I should get an opinion from this board.

I asked the guy at my local needleshop about it today, but he said he didn't stock it. He thought it might do something weird to the vinyl on a molecular level. Does anyone know if that's the case? From what I've heard elsewhere, the product is supposed to actually prolong vinyl life, so it doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.
Anyone care to share their experiences?

jrhymeammo
04-25-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm interested in trying this product as I've heard rave reviews but thought I should get an opinion from this board.

I asked the guy at my local needleshop about it today, but he said he didn't stock it. He thought it might do something weird to the vinyl on a molecular level. Does anyone know if that's the case? From what I've heard elsewhere, the product is supposed to actually prolong vinyl life, so it doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.
Anyone care to share their experiences?

To me, listening to vinyl are more like a ritual. I love taking my time setting things up. It makes me feel more involved with music. I loved the product since it goes on very smooth and spreads out evenly. I really hated that black pad, since it is almost impossible to clean. I thought the product took some edges of music. Or maybe that has to do with emotional and physical involvement too. It feels very smooth applying so maybe it tricked me to thinking that sound was smoother. It's only about 25 bucks and will last on about 3-400 LPs. I still got it around but I never use it anymore. But instead I use Stylast. I really believe in this product, since it tames the background noise and really easy to apply. So buy protecting stylus it should be protecting vinyl at the same time, right? If one moving part is gliding smoothly, then other part should be experiencing the same thing. Think of Sex and lube. But really if I was being tricked to think it sounded better then I dont care cuz I was happy. One more thing, it will not eliminate pops, if it pops then it's gonna pop forever.

If I am way off, somebody please correct me, seriously.

Thanks and Have Fun

Robb
04-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I started using it on BrandonOh's recommendation, as well as probably the same reviews you've seen. It does what the maker claims - enhanced detail and nuance were immediately noticeable on familiar records. In one case, the squeaking of the high hat mechanism I'd never heard before! I guess it is up to you if that is good or not! It does seem to eliminate static and slows down the accumulation of additional dust, as well. My ritual begins with a thorough cleaning with the orbitrac. I am sure some will say any foreign substance added to the surface is not good. I think it is important to point out that my system is moderate in price, so I am always looking for relatively inexpensive tweaks and enhancements. For me, so far, this product fits the bill. Take care and enjoy! :)

BRANDONH
04-27-2006, 09:53 AM
I started using it on BrandonOh's recommendation, as well as probably the same reviews you've seen. It does what the maker claims - enhanced detail and nuance were immediately noticeable on familiar records. In one case, the squeaking of the high hat mechanism I'd never heard before! I guess it is up to you if that is good or not! It does seem to eliminate static and slows down the accumulation of additional dust, as well. My ritual begins with a thorough cleaning with the orbitrac. I am sure some will say any foreign substance added to the surface is not good. I think it is important to point out that my system is moderate in price, so I am always looking for relatively inexpensive tweaks and enhancements. For me, so far, this product fits the bill. Take care and enjoy! :)
Rob said it all, this stuff rocks!!
Follow his recomendation on the precleaning.
I like to clean even brand new albums and follow with the Gruv-Glide and on new albums it is amazing.
if you are having trouble finding it try the link below:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/search_results.cfm?category=Any&Field=Brand+Name&SearchText=GRUV
http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/as201JPG/SGRUV.gif

DaHaq
04-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm definitely gonna try this stuff out.

emorphien
04-28-2006, 07:30 PM
For that price I might try it on a couple of my less important records and see what it does.

DaHaq
04-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Really, the main reason I would like to try this is for its rumored ability to improve tracking. I have brand new records (The Who Sell Out on 180 gram for instance) that have no scratches and look absolutely clean, but I notice a slight distortion in the louder passages. I have aligned my cartridge using the protractor that it came with, so I don't think that should be an issue, at least I hope not. I have also listened to the cd versions and do not hear the distortion, although I suppose its possible that digital remastering eliminated it.

jrhymeammo
04-29-2006, 06:00 PM
As long as you apply the products to completely clean and dry records it should be fine. Have fun and let us know your findings.

P.

Modernaire
04-30-2006, 12:41 AM
High,

I use GG also. Very happy with the product. Its smells nice, gives me a nice little buzz after I use it, woohoo! :ihih:

No but seriously, its great! Ive found that once I treat an LP with it, then store it and after a while play the record, its sounds even better, like the stuff conditions deeply and improves the vinyl sound after a while.

BUT its not a complete cleaner in my view. I do a deep, carefull de-dusting and wet clean of an LP and THEN after its all dry and utra dustless, I apply GG. I dont use that straight on some used record to remove that ultra fine dust. Nope, because that fine dust is still there and you're just smoothing THAT stuff out and you lose detail and fidelity. Not good.

Deep clean, vacuum, whatever you do to restore and THEN apply GG.

Are there other similar products, sprayable lubricant cleaners that other vinyl heads know of?

WETSU
04-30-2006, 06:58 PM
DANK aka DMK recommended using Stylast and Gruv Glide as part of a successful vinyl maintenance system a few years ago when he frequented these boards. It was sage wisdom. It's main purpose, as I understood it at the time, was as an anti-static. My regimen and experiences are much like those posted by Modernaire, even the part where it seems to be more effective over time. DMK stated that you would need to reapply only if your album sleeves start to cling to the vinyl again.