Gain & other settings - Need an easier solution [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gain & other settings - Need an easier solution

nightflier
04-25-2006, 12:52 PM
For those of us who like to tinker with their audio setups (and in the world of TT's, that's pretty much the norm), why aren't there more phono preamps with front-mounted controls for setting gain, impedence, etc.

I used to have a Yamaha preamp that had these but I gave it away because it had no remote. While I don't need a remote on my phono preamp, I would like to avoid having to pop the cover just to try a diffrent setting. I currently have a Phonomena and it is a phenomenal pain-in-the-rear rather that "a joy to own" as one revienwer put it. I will probably replace it with the Jolida JD9A, and just put that backwards in my rack to get easy access to the jumpers on the back, but that's not ideal, either. So before I buy, I thought I would ask the question here.

Aside from the megabuck Manley and EAR preamps out there, are there any that have front-mounted controls that are around $1500 new or used? Speaking of used, I have to believe that there must have been a good selection back in the day, right? I wouldn't mind using one of those big tube-component-sized units, if it was a quality phono preamp.

E-Stat
04-26-2006, 01:23 PM
For those of us who like to tinker with their audio setups (and in the world of TT's, that's pretty much the norm), why aren't there more phono preamps with front-mounted controls for setting gain, impedence, etc.
Simple answers: cost and performance compromises. Putting high quality low noise switches in the signal path is an expensive proposition. Many companies like Audio Research and Pass Labs don't do it at any price point.

As for gain, I'm all for as much as I can get! :) For trying different loads, there is an easy way to do that without having to resort to soldering resistors in the preamp:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=512326&highlight=plug+John+Elison&r=&session=

rw

nightflier
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
"Simple answers: cost and performance compromises."

Well, I'm not so sure. My Phonomena does all that but I have to unscrew the cover every time I want to adjust it. If it had a couple of dials instead, I doubt it would cost that much more. At the very least they could have put the jumpers on the back like Jolida did. And my Yamaha preamp cost me $120 used on eBay (it was $760 new, about 20 years ago).

Like everyone else, I sure would love to have a Manley Steelhead, but with a couple of dials, the $600-800 preamps could be 80% there. I just think there's a gap in the features-vs-cost ratio.

nightflier
05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Just to add a couple more contenders to add to the list. I've read some good stuff online about Monolithic Audio's Phono preamps (controls are still with rocker switches, but at least you don't have to open the thing up). The other one that intrigues me is the PS Audio GCPH. It has controls on the back using a small dial and can be connected directly to an amp because it has a volume dial on the front.

The only thing that worries me a bit on this one is that I just never considered PS Audio a vinyl-friendly company; it's just a gut feeling, but w/o being able to audition the unit (it still costs $1K), it's a bit of a risk. Monolithic, on the other hand seems to know a thing or two about vinyl.

Any thoughts?

Bernd
05-02-2006, 02:31 AM
I agree with E-Stat about switches and compromise.
I use an Art Audio Vinyl One Phono amp without any switches. I have used it with eight different cartridges up to now and it brought out the best of them.
Good luck on your quest.

Peace

Bernd:16: