Room size [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Room size

Dharris
04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
12'w x 20'D x 8't What do you think of these dimensions for room acoustics?

kexodusc
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
12'w x 20'D x 8't What do you think of these dimensions for room acoustics?

That's almost exactly the same size as my studio room.
It can work, there'll be some obstacles to overcome, but what room doesn't have some issues?

Which wall would the front speakers go on? I only have 2 channels in my room. Surprisingly, and counterintuitively, the speakers produce better soundstage and imaging when mounted along the short wall. Wider and deeper soundstage. The tonality seems to change a bit as well, but I can't say that one placement is better or worse than another, just a bit different.
I have yet to have someone explain why this might be, though I have a few books and have read many an on-line article that suggests ti shouldn't be.
I've performed this test at dozens of times, always comes back the same. Both setups have room treatments at 1st reflection and 2nd reflection points (minus ceiling) and various absorption/ bass traps scattered in the room/corners.

For home theater, I suspect the surround soundstage might feel a bit narrow if you place the TV set along the shorter wall, but it may also sound too forward and not very immersive if set on the long wall.

Anyone ever try both in a similar room?

edtyct
04-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Ultimate A/V offers a an Excel spreadsheet matching room measurements with their acoustics. It's based on an article that ran in the now-defunct print edition of the magazine some time ago by home theater doyen Russ Herschelman. It may be more elaborate than what you're looking for, but the download and full story are available at http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/10388/index.html.

Dharris
04-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys! Actually the room is 12w (front speaker & TV location), left side wall 14', and the right side wall 20'. The listening area will be roughly 13' back from front. This room is what the builder calls a loft.