Opinions on Sony 707ESD CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Sony 707ESD CD Player

EdwardGein
04-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Welcome anyones opinion, good or bad on Sony 707ESD CD player in terms of audio sound. This unit sold for $1800 when it first came out, albeit over 15 years ago I think & I got it for $450 inc shipping in excellent condition with its original remote & manual.Here are some of the Sony CDP-707ESD specifications:

* 18-Bit Dual Linear DACs – Burr Brown Processors
* 2hz - 20kHz ±0.3dB
* Harmonic Distortion: 0.0015% or less (EIAJ)
* Signal to noise ratio (S/N): Above 115dB (EIAJ)
* Dynamic Range: Above 100dB (EIAJ
* Channel Separation: Above 100db (1khz) (EIAJ)
* Gold Plated Line Output: Fixed and Variable (analog outputs) with volume control on remote
* Headphone Jack: Switchable on/off with volume control on remote and unit
* Digital Audio Outputs: Gold Plated Coaxial (RCA Type) and Optical (TOS Link)
* 8-Times Oversampling Digital Selectable Filter
* Multipage Track Music Calendar on unit read-out
* Programming Edit Functions – for use with CD recorders or for extending pauses
* Random Play and Continuous Play Features
* Dye Cast Alluminum Construction
* Full Copper Shielding for Entire Unit
* Large Sized Ceramic Insulator Feet
* Large Capacity Independent Power Supplies

paul_pci
04-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Honest opinion: you ripped yourself off. Read the numbers, the DAC in the Sony is far inferior than than your pioneer or any mid-level player produced today. Seriously, nobody has any business buying a CD player that old.

topspeed
04-25-2006, 08:13 AM
You are a singular character, Hersh. You must be addicted to e-bay, otherwise there is no logical reason whatsoever to purchase a 15 year old cdp, especially when you have a perfectly good Pio installed in your rig. Naturally, you realize during the infancy of cd, all cdp's were expensive! This price discrepancy is in direct contrast to manuafacturer's understanding of how to extract the imformation from the medium (abbetted by the fact they didn't record it very well, either). Just one example is how even the most basic $50cdp includes 24 bit dac's that process at 96 or 192mhz. Basically, this is the same as buying an old IBM 80386.

shokhead
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Everything in Electronics have improved in 15 years to the point where that would be of no use to me. Not sure its any better then a 200-300 player of today.

N. Abstentia
04-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Ripoff.

You could have put that money towards upgrading to some better speakers.

EdwardGein
04-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Well you all might be right. I'll have to hear for myself. I read numerous recent reviews, the key word is recent, & comments on this CD player raving about its sound & so I decided to buy it. Worst case scenario I sell it on Ebay at a minor loss at worst. Apparently this came out in 1994 not 1989 so I got the age wrong a bit. The price I paid seems to be less then the going rate for this. I never said I wasn't going to replace the Pioneer CD-59 player. I need 2 CD players & the Pioneer CD-59 is one of them. Right now, I'm using my Harmon Kardon DVD player for the bedroom. See under followups http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rdgtl&1028339485&read&3&4&

N. Abstentia
04-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Perhaps 'ripoff' was too strong..that implies that it does not work at all. I'm sure it will work fine, although I doubt it will even play CD-R's. It's more like 'not worth the price' instead of 'ripoff'.

EdwardGein
04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I think it will play CDR's but if it doesn't but sounds great, that's no problem. If it doesn't sound at least as good as my Pioneer then I'll definately sell it. One interesting thing I just read & I don't know how true it is, is much older CD players sound better on older recordings pre 1980's then newer CD/universal players.

shokhead
04-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Is that the same as having sex with an older woman is better if your old vs a young thing?

EdwardGein
04-25-2006, 01:39 PM
How old, LOL?

shokhead
04-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Older would be older then you and younger would be not affraid to see a cop at your door.