Tuesday Toonz//new OSI, latest IZZ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Toonz//new OSI, latest IZZ

3-LockBox
04-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I pre-ordered (along w/ Izz) this at Amazon last week and lo, its in my mailbox on Monday (wow!). My Flower Kings/Jadis shipment was super quick as well.

I wish I had glowing things to say about OSI or Izz. Maybe I need more time, but I must say I'm a little underwhelmed. Of course, you may want to wait until the special 2 CD version comes out (it always does).

The new Izz, My River Flows, however, well, I just expected more, or something else entirely. I'm not saying it sucks, but the title says it all actually. It actually does rock in places. Its no where near as diverse as their last proper album, I Move, nor is it as experimental. That does mean its more cohesive either, however. Its not a pedestrian effort, like I said, it rocks in places, but over all its has an introspective tone to it, and not much of a prog element either. Yeah, its got a 21 minute song on it that plays more like a suite, rather than an epic.

What's with all this frikkin hospital zone prog lately anyway? I mean, this is the follow-up to I Move, after 4 years? Someone on another website said the nice thing about really prolific bands like The Flower Kings is, that if they make an album you don't like, all you need do is wait 14-15 months until the next one.

I'm not saying My River Flows is a throw-away. I guess it'll hold me until the next one. Hopefully by then, they'll have exorsized the ghosts of '70s AOR that haunt this album.

noddin0ff
04-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Funk and Jazz recently added...

Joshua Redman / SFJazz Collective
Joshua Redman : Elastic
Joshua Redman Elastic Band : Momentum

The Funky 16 Corners (Funk Compilation)
Wheedles Groove: Seattle's Finest in Funk and Soul 1965-75 (compilation)

The two funk compilations are probably the most fun I’ve gotten out of a purchase in a while. www.pandora.com lead me to both of them. Wheedle’s Groove was a real find. I lived in Seattle for 8 years and had no idea there was a Funk movement. WG was released last year and apparently is part of an effort to produce a documentary http://www.wheedlesgroovemovie.com/ (there’s a trailer for viewing). The Overtone Berry Trio’s cover of ‘Hey Jude’ pretty much made the album for me but there’s really not a ringer on it. I could listen to that base line forever. Wheedle's not pristine funk, more of a get your hands dirty style . Fave tracks today 'Bold Soul Sister', 'Thrift Store Find', 'Cissy Strut' .The CD contains a fair amount of analog artifacts but it heightens the experience rather than detracting from it. It deserves an investigation.

Redman can do just about anything with the horn; he's both technically excellent and very accessible. He can sound like Coltrane or Sonny Rollin’s at will. I think some of his early stuff was frustrating because it just didn’t go very deep. Lots of hooks and no long term legs. I picked up ‘Beyond’ a while ago which is quite the opposite, IMO. More depth, less accessibility. More in the vein of Coltrane, longer phrases, emotional blowing. I think ‘Beyond’ has some staying power, but it takes a few more listens to get into. It has the kind of depth that ‘A Love Supreme’ has, more spiritual. But also has some very sweet tracks as well. 4 1/2 stars?

Anyway, lately I’ve been trying to explore some Funk+Jazz hybrids and decided to revisit Redman based on reviews. ‘Elastic’ and ‘Momentum’ are both easy to get into, very fun, but have more continuity and depth than the early stuff. They flow better and are more complete. I’d say they are 4 stars. I haven’t heard anything lately that I’d say is an instant five-star classic, but maybe Jazz is starting to come around. I’ve always liked Brian Blades on drums whenever I’ve heard him and he is on many tracks. Elastic is slower, more groove oriented; the songs and melodies morph more. A couple tracks hark back to ‘In a Silent Way’ in feel. Momentum is more uptempo and lively fun. Hard not to tap along. Redman uses a lot of real-time electronic processing (harmonizer’s, etc.) on the horn to good effect. Pretty much anyone would like these albums, even if you’re not a big Jazz fan. Something for the novice and the aficianado, both.

Haven’t spent as much time with SFJazz, but it is good, It’s a bit of a ‘sampler’ style album. Recorded Live. Great talent. I’m probably one of the rare folk that really like Vibes and I really like the first track ‘Lingala’ I’ve seen Bobby Hutcherson a couple times and just been spell bound. Also have a couple Nicholas Payton albums and very much enjoy them (Payton’s Place, especially). There’s a lot of promise in the collective.

Troy
04-25-2006, 07:00 AM
That new Calexico is a snore. They seem to have lost most of their southwestern feel. The quirky western hybrid tone in tracks like "Attack El Robot, Attack" and "Pepita" that made the previous album so engaging is completely gone, supplanted by more whiny indie rock. Calexico has dropped the thing that made them unusual, that gave them the character to get them noticed in the first place. I guess that's what happens when you get mainstream radio play.

3-LockBox
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
The new OSI:Free is OK...just OK. There are a few songs on here that are pretty good and as a whole, this will do nicely in an MP3 rotation, but it isn't a cohesive effort like the first one.

The first OSI was one contiguous listening experience, with a central theme. The vocals, while not great, worked. The mono-toned, disembodied vox were a perfect juxtaposition to the cold, menacing, industrial/metal music. Gone is the suspence, tension and cohesion.

What we have here is a pretty good Chroma Key album. But not much more. And without substanative musical impact, the vox are less tolerable. Musically speaking, this is on a par with the last couple of Dead Soul Tribe albums, maybe not as good.

Slosh
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
That new Calexico is a snore. They seem to have lost most of their southwestern feel. The quirky western hybrid tone in tracks like "Attack El Robot, Attack" and "Pepita" that made the previous album so engaging is completely gone, supplanted by more whiny indie rock. Calexico has dropped the thing that made them unusual, that gave them the character to get them noticed in the first place. I guess that's what happens when you get mainstream radio play.You're crazy. These songs are better than anything on Feast Of Wire.

Dusty Chalk
04-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Nah, tepid mid-tempo snorefest. Feast of Wire was much better.

audiobill
04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Sepultura - Roots
The Who - Who's Next
Cheap Trick - At Budokan
Megadeth - Peace Sells But Who's Buying?
Kid Rock - Kid Rock 2003
The Tragically Hip - That Night in Toronto
Patti Smith Group - Easter
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood To the Head
Kinks - Arthur
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
Everclear - Ten Years Gone

Had a real charge this past week delving into albums I haven't listened to in a while (other than the Hip cd that's been in constant rotation, since the day it was released).

Cheers,

Bill

ForeverAutumn
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I listened to A Rush of Blood to the Head this week too! And started to listen to X&Y on the iPod in bed one night, but I was too tired and fell asleep. I heard enough to realize that I need to give X&Y another good listen. I wasn't impressed with it when it came out but was really enjoying it this time 'round.

Other listens:
Pain of Salvation - I'm not sure which disk. It was something that 3LB sent me. It wasn't The Perfect Element I know that. It's in my car and I'm too lazy to go look. Anyway, I enjoyed it. :)

Andrew Bird - Mysterious Production of Eggs

Klaatu - Hope - The orchestated version.

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble - I actually heard a song off this disk while in a restaurant last Friday night. Hearing something off this album in a public place is a first for me.

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo... - Nice disk that I need more time with. I think I like it better than Silent Earth.

Loose Fur - Born Again in the USA - I like this a lot.

Luke Doucet - Broken

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia - Great album, too bad their hockey team sucks. :ciappa:

Matchbox 20 - More Than You Think You Are - Radio fodder, but for some reason I love this CD.

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

David Gilmour - On An Island - What a gorgeous CD this is. It's like the best of old Floyd a la Animals and Meddle mixed in with the best of new Floyd a la The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason, with just enough original sound thrown in to make it fresh. Just Yummy.

3-LockBox
04-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Pain of Salvation - I'm not sure which disk. It was something that 3LB sent me. It wasn't The Perfect Element I know that. It's in my car and I'm too lazy to go look. Anyway, I enjoyed it. :)

It is Remedy Lane. Glad you liked it.

Do you have The Perfect Element?

Slosh
04-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Nah, tepid mid-tempo snorefest. Feast of Wire was much better.You're crazy, too.

MasterCylinder
04-26-2006, 04:27 AM
I have been so busy that I have not had time to enjoy music lately except for the background stuff I can play on my computer while working at my desk.
So, in that context, I have been (very much) enjoying two classical box-sets:

1 -- RACHMANINOV: The Complete Solo Piano Music and Concertos (10 CDs)
2 -- SIBELIUS: The Complete Symphonies and Tone Poems (8 CDs)

I would highly recommend both of these.

ForeverAutumn
04-26-2006, 05:05 AM
It is Remedy Lane. Glad you liked it.

Do you have The Perfect Element?

Yes, that's it. No, I don't have The Perfect Element. It's now on my wish list however.

Dusty Chalk
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I have been so busy that I have not had time to enjoy music lately except for the background stuff I can play on my computer while working at my desk.
So, in that context, I have been (very much) enjoying two classical box-sets:

1 -- RACHMANINOV: The Complete Solo Piano Music and Concertos (10 CDs)
2 -- SIBELIUS: The Complete Symphonies and Tone Poems (8 CDs)

I would highly recommend both of these.What are the performances (conductor, orchestra, label, date, etc.)? The first two are the most important...I have a version of the complete sibelius symphonies, and love love love Rachmaninov -- especially his piano music, so am always looking for more better performances that I don't already have.

Dusty Chalk
04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
You're crazy, too.I think that's a given, at this point, but I'm not sure what it has to do with my musical tastes.

Tell you what, I'll listen to it again, at some point, before I sell it off.

Mr MidFi
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Stoke up the bong, crank everything to 11, and set phasers to stun...the boys are back with a vengeance!

I picked up the new Secret Machines disc, Ten Silver Drops, yesterday and have now listened to it twice. I have to say, this is yet another early contender for disc of the year, as far as I'm concerned.

Their last effort was such a giddy pleasure, it was difficult to imagine how they could follow it up. Now Here Is Nowhere had such a Pink Floyd-meets-Radiohead-meets-Spinal Tap vibe and all the bombastic passion and paranoid delusuions that a trio of pimply-faced kids could muster...but to repeat that formula verbatim would have been a big mistake. You wanted to stand and cheer for the unmitigated audacity of it all the last time around, but the joke is over now.

This time, they're writing about the sorts of things that 20-somethings should be writing about (mostly fukced-up relationships) instead of trying the be the second coming of Roger Waters. And it succeeds marvelously. Don't get me wrong, it's still as much Franz Kafka as it is Franz Ferdinand...but it's immediately listenable and enjoyable.

There are fewer space-lounge excursions like "Pharoah's Daughter" this time, and more energetic pop/prog songcraft to hold your interest. And the production values are more polished, as they seem to have gained a better handle on the knob-twisting on this self-produced disc.

There are no weak tracks on this album, and some are among their finest (although nothing here is quite as over-the-top irresistable as "Nowhere Again"). I give it my Master of the Obvious seal of approval. :cornut:

Troy
04-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Secret Machines

I'll have to look for that. I liked the 1st one a bunch, but thought is was poorly recorded. Only thing is, my favorite track on that one WAS "Pharoahs Daughter" so the loss of that type of track leaves me wondering . . .

Mr MidFi
04-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I'll have to look for that. I liked the 1st one a bunch, but thought is was poorly recorded. Only thing is, my favorite track on that one WAS "Pharoahs Daughter" so the loss of that type of track leaves me wondering . . .

You know, I liked it too...but putting that track and "You Are Chains", plus the first couple minutes of the last track, kinda brought the whole vibe down one notch too many in the second half of the disc, for my taste. YMMV.

I think you'll like this one, Troy. I've been wrong before, but I don't think I am this time.

As far as the poor recording on the first disc...that was actually an odd part of it's appeal to me. Turn everything up to 11, man! It's all good! Now pass that thing over here...

audiobill
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I listened to A Rush of Blood to the Head this week too! And started to listen to X&Y on the iPod in bed one night, but I was too tired and fell asleep. I heard enough to realize that I need to give X&Y another good listen. I wasn't impressed with it when it came out but was really enjoying it this time 'round.

Funny. The same thing happened to me with X&Y (I fell asleep & discarded it). Nevertheless, I 've gone back to it and there are several tracks that work, now. Go figure.

MasterCylinder
04-27-2006, 09:03 AM
I have a version of the complete sibelius symphonies, and love love love Rachmaninov -- especially his piano music, so am always looking for more better performances that I don't already have.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Chalk.................

The SIBELIUS set is on the EMI label.
Paavo Berglund and the Helsinki Philharmonic.

The RACHIMANOV set is on the Naxos label.
All piano done by Idel Biret (she is amazing).
Orchestra = Polish National Radio Symphony.