coaxial digital vs optical digital audio cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : coaxial digital vs optical digital audio cables

DanGinCT
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi All,
I need to buy a digital audio cable to hook up my Pioneer DV-588 DVD player to a new Pioneer VSX 1015 I just bought. The DVD player is mainly used for movies. I was wondering which is the best performing digital audio cable to use, coax or optical? Is there much difference? Thanks!

Dan

KaiWinters
04-25-2006, 02:01 AM
No difference.
Use the search mode to find this question asked and answered.
I use both, digital coax for dvd and optical for cable box...no discernable difference to my ears.

superpanavision70mm
04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
It's hard to say if there is or isn't a difference because when you are comparing the two...there can be differences is the brand and the cost involved. One thing that convinces people to go with Optical is that lack of interference that typically can appear through the Coaxial. It also seems that the Optical responds a bit faster, but often does not have some of the warmth as the coaxial. Once again keep in mind it depends on the manufacturer and cost involved. I have compared several brands over the past few years....Monster to Tributaries to AudioQuest to Tara Labs to Cobalt to BetterCables. I ended up sticking with the Tributaries Optical and Coaxial. I have them hooked up for both SACD and DVD sound.

N. Abstentia
04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
I ended up sticking with the Tributaries Optical and Coaxial. I have them hooked up for both SACD and DVD sound.

That's impossible. SACD signals cannot be passed through a digital output.

superpanavision70mm
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
I meant to say that I have them hooked up to SACD player and DVD player. Of course they do not play the SACD sound the analog cables do, but I use the SACD player to play CD's. Thanks for the catch!

swwdts
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I use an AR optical cord w/ my pioneer dvd.

shokhead
04-29-2006, 05:07 AM
I meant to say that I have them hooked up to SACD player and DVD player. Of course they do not play the SACD sound the analog cables do, but I use the SACD player to play CD's. Thanks for the catch!

So why do you player your cds with your analogs? Player is that much better then your receiver.

RH Customs
05-14-2006, 09:07 AM
I my opinion if you are just going to use the DVD player to play movies and not audio, then optical is better. I have found that Coaxial gives a more natural analog sound and as. superpanavision70mm, a more natural sound and warmth.

RH

markw
05-14-2006, 11:20 AM
I my opinion if you are just going to use the DVD player to play movies and not audio, then optical is better. I have found that Coaxial gives a more natural analog sound and as. superpanavision70mm, a more natural sound and warmth.

RHwrong. bits is bits

jamison
05-14-2006, 01:51 PM
bits may be bits but my ears tell me the coax sounds better.. I use analog for sacd and i use coax for digital for dvd and cd playback. I had the optical.. I got the coax for free and it just sounds warmer less mechanical. but if you find that the optical sound better to your ears go for it.. its your ears that matter not ours.

shokhead
05-14-2006, 03:05 PM
If you didnt use analogs for SACD,what would you use?

canuckle
05-14-2006, 04:29 PM
bits may be bits but my ears tell me the coax sounds better..

Well your brain is causing your ears to lie. The exact, precise, completely the same 1's and 0's are passed either way. There is no processing done prior to the signal being in your receiver's DAC that would add or rob warmth. What exactly is a "warm" 1 or a "cold" 0 ???

What you're hearing is nothing more than a creation of your mind. Do a digital capture of the same song over both cables and compare them (yes, i have)... they're bit-for-bit identical. You want to believe that one is better then that's what you'll hear. Don't pass it off as truth in here though.

superpanavision70mm
05-15-2006, 04:18 AM
The one thing that I do not like about the Optical cables is they are flimsy and they don't lock in as well as one might hope. I am always afraid of breaking the cable. However, I have heard that the optical does not allow for as much interference as the Coax. I have both hooked up just incase.