Touch-up paint a NAD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Touch-up paint a NAD?

natlus
04-24-2006, 06:06 AM
I have some elderly but still kicking NAD equipment-a 5340 CD player and a 7225PE receiver- whose covers could use paint refinishing. I know that I could try matching with model paints, but I thought that somewhere out there someone has either already tried painting NAD equipment or there's a resource for that particular "NAD grey/green"( I've tried some internet searches, including for here, but with no luck).

Thanks in advance.

Glen B
04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
I have some elderly but still kicking NAD equipment-a 5340 CD player and a 7225PE receiver- whose covers could use paint refinishing. I know that I could try matching with model paints, but I thought that somewhere out there someone has either already tried painting NAD equipment or there's a resource for that particular "NAD grey/green"( I've tried some internet searches, including for here, but with no luck).

Thanks in advance.

Why not try Rust-O-Leum hammered or textured finish spray paint available at Home Depot ? The hammered finish especially will give you a beautiful, professional, factory look. As long as you don't overspray, the finish should hide any little imperfections in your painting technique.

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=197&frm_product_id=20&SBL=1
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=73&frm_product_id=21&SBL=1

natlus
04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Home Depot is my middle name--great suggestions and will check it out this weekend.
Natlus

nightflier
04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
The problem with repainting is that everyone will think that you're trying to hide something, especially if you're going to re-sell them. So if you must paint, go for something wild like Ferrari red, or metalic blue. NAD has always had a hideous color scheme (sort of like the stuff you scrape off your boots after fly-fishing), IMO. But add a splash glossy red or yellow to your rack and everyone will be asking you where you bought that gear.

natlus
04-27-2006, 06:17 PM
The problem with repainting is that everyone will think that you're trying to hide something, especially if you're going to re-sell them. So if you must paint, go for something wild like Ferrari red, or metalic blue. NAD has always had a hideous color scheme (sort of like the stuff you scrape off your boots after fly-fishing), IMO. But add a splash glossy red or yellow to your rack and everyone will be asking you where you bought that gear.

I'm really going to think about this because my first instinct is to say you're out of your gourd. The selling issue is moot, as I'm not going to re-sell-this is equipment that I'm using to experiment with for repair. When I was a teenager I used to build and paint military models, and of course the goal there is to replicate 'authentic' colors.

Upon reflection though, who gives a hoot about replicating that drab NAD grey/green? Wouldn't my wife just LOVE a modern, sky blue?

Now you really got me thinking.

Honestly though, put your money where your _____ is: have you tried this? Any photos as evidence?

Natlus

nightflier
04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Actually, I auditioned a lime-green Pro-ject TT for a while and I have to say that it got a lot of attention. People either thought it was a cheap toy (and that was OK because I really don't care to have those people mess with my stuff), or they thought it was some high-end gear that was more expensive than it really was (price guesses ranged from $200-$1000). The black tone-arm and controls actually looked very striking against the green and it was a surprisingly good table for the price.

I replaced it for a higher end MH table recently, but it was not because of the color. I actually liked the table; it was always a great conversation piece when friends were over. I'm not saying that lime green is everyone's color, but a sky blue might score some WAF points.

Who knows, maybe the techy-cool looks are why iPods & Macs are so much more popular than the other brands.