Can Someone Speculate What Temporary Caused This Problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Speculate What Temporary Caused This Problem?

EdwardGein
04-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Someone reliable sent me a Pioneer PD-65 CD player by Ground Service & something was internally wrong with it that must have been damaged during the shipment. I'm getting my full money back for it, that's not at issue. What I'm & the seller trying to figure out is what the original damage was as it doesn't make sense. Specifically, originally when this arrived- it was sent by ground from Ohio to LA & decently packed, no sound that came out whatsoever from the analog outputs yet the digital outputs worked fine. At first I thought this was either my cables or a problem with my input/input settings on my receiver but I was able to play my other CD player fine through the same analog settings, cables & inputs. The CD player also was set correctly on analog & I also tried various settings on it as well & it made no difference when connected by analog cables, there was no sound. A few hours later, I retested this again & this time the CD's weren't being read either- when I pressed play it wasn't playing. Out of curiosity, I looked under the CD door & there was alot of white gook on the bottom of it & other parts around it. Anyway, the seller who I know said he did not have a problem with the analog connections & just said to return it & he'll give me a full refund. He asked me to wipe the white goop off it. Today, I was about to pack this & I noticed that most of the white goop 2 days later was all but gone. Out of curiosity, I put in a Cd & connected this by the same analog cables in the same inputs & it played fine & there was no problem getting analog sound out. I'm still returning this though & he didn't have a problem with that, as I can't chance this reocurring. As an aside, I also liked the sound of my less highly rated PD-59 player better. Anyway, can someone please speculate what could have made analog sound temporarily not come out of this CD player while digital worked & why 2 days later it worked?T he only thing I can imagine is maybe the shipping caused some oil or something to leak which froze from the cold in Ohio if that makes any sense & maybe it took 2 days to thaw out?

N. Abstentia
04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
The 'white gook' is commonly known as 'good sound paste'. The more white gook inside, the better the player will sound. You might need to order a new tube of sound paste and put more in your player. The pure silver sound paste sounds better than the white.

Eric Z
04-23-2006, 05:14 PM
The 'white gook' is commonly known as 'good sound paste'. The more white gook inside, the better the player will sound. You might need to order a new tube of sound paste and put more in your player. The pure silver sound paste sounds better than the white.

I highly recommend going with Monster Gook; it's a little more expensive, but well worth it :D