floor speaker decision [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : floor speaker decision

noek
04-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi, I am currently building my HT and have decided to go with floor speakers for the left and right channel but am trying to decide which brand to go with. I have heard and like Polk and Boston...have been reading on the forums that Paradigm and PSB also make good speakers as well but I haven't listened to them as of yet. My budget is around $600-$800 for the pair and eventually will buy the center and surround sound speakers by the same manuf I choose the floors...I just want to purchase the floors first since I also listen to alot of music and buying those first will enable me to do both right now....Thinking about going with a 10" Velodyne sub to round out the system...

My receiver is an Onkyo btw and I do not currently have an amp

Thanks for any tips :D

paul_pci
04-22-2006, 05:32 PM
If you're going with a sub, consider going with bookshelf speakers, as there are a lot of great models out there in your price range. In fact, you'll find better bookshelf speakers in that budget than you will floorstanders, and the sub will take care of whatever bass is lacking in the bookshelfs.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I'd recommend putting Acoustic Energy on your list. They would have a floorstanding speaker in your price range. AE may not be the last word in heavy bass but they sound very good in their price range. Good performance to price ratio.