High Def 5.1 Satellite receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High Def 5.1 Satellite receiver

Over50
11-18-2003, 08:22 AM
I would like to buy one of these. Any ideas where to buy and what kind of price range I would be looking at. Thanks for any info

Woochifer
11-18-2003, 05:18 PM
I would like to buy one of these. Any ideas where to buy and what kind of price range I would be looking at. Thanks for any info

If you're a Directv subscriber, they currently offer a Hughes HD satellite receiver, with eliptical dish and installation for $400 if you commit to their HD programming plan (ESPN HD, Discovery HD, HDNet, and HDNet movies for $11/month) for one-year.

$400 is about what Best Buy sells the Hughes receiver for by itself with no dish upgrade and no installation. That Hughes receiver is also capable of pulling over-the-air HD signals if you have a TV antenna. I've seen a Samsung HD satellite receiver selling for $500, and a couple of others going for $700. I've only been looking at Directv receivers, so I'm not sure what Dish Network's HD receivers are selling for. If you don't already use one, you'll need to include an elliptical triple-LNB dish (which sells for about $100) and installation into the cost.