Volume Issue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Volume Issue

wayner86
04-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Im having a volume problem with my system. My receiver has volume setting incraments of -80 to 0, and im not getting substantial volume until.....~the -5 setting, is this normal? at the -5 setting its still bearable not ear bleeding, and i'm not wanting to bring it past this point incase of supplying dirty power, am i overreacting or should i try and run the MCACC again?

Wayne

topspeed
04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
You're probably overreacting, but it never hurts to calibrate again (assuming that's what MCACC is). Don't worry about the numbers on your volume, they are completely arbitary. Volume has more to do with the efficiency of your speakers than anything else. For example, most speakers these days are between 86-92dB's/w/m. What this means is they provide XdB's when fed 1 watt measured at 1 meter. Just so you know, 90dB's is pretty freakin' loud. Conversely, it takes twice as many watts to deliver a 3dB increase in spl. This is hardly noticeable.

Assuming everything is working properly and your soft mute (or some other nonsense) isn't engaged, it could be a simple matter of your receiver running out of steam. Perhaps your speakers just aren't very efficient?

Either that or you're going deaf.

musicman1999
04-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I vote for deaf,and it is obvious why.Is it movies or music you run at that level.How do you define substantial?I have a decent system and i run movies just a little over half power,but my Jm Labs are very effiicent.Oh well,to each.

bill

EdwardGein
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
First off what is your receiver & are you refering to Cd sound, TV or DVD? On my Denon
I usually play music at around the 26 level. DVD's are closer to maybe 18 to 20. TV is around 26. My guess is your speaker wiring or input cables are not properly connected. I would initially listen on your headphones & if you don't have a problem there its with your speaker wires. Also your settings for your DVD/CD/receiver whatever may be set on too low an output (if there is a setting that does that) or you may have it on the wrong DSP.

Smokey
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Im having a volume problem with my system. My receiver has volume setting incraments of -80 to 0, and im not getting substantial volume until.....~the -5 setting, is this normal?

At -5 dB volume setting, your power output is between 25-30% of amp's full power. At -3 dB setting, the power output will be half of total power.

0 dB = full power ourtput
-3 dB = half power output
-6 dB = quarter power output
-9 dB = (1/2) quarter power output

wayner86
04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Apparenly my brother was playing with my settings while i wasn't home, he also had the courtesy to turn up the volume on my sub so last night when i turned the music up it sounded like my sub was trying to smash through the cabinet. What a nice guy eh?

Wayne