Ohm Walsh 4 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ohm Walsh 4

cubdog
04-21-2006, 08:08 AM
I picked up a pair of Walsh 4's yesterday. Very nice condition although the right speaker does make a buzzing noise. I knew this when I bought them but since Ohm still services these speakers and the price was right I went for it. I will have to open the speaker up this week end and take a look. Does anyone have an idea of what I might look for? Thanks.

cubdog

trollgirl
04-21-2006, 04:22 PM
...if it is the woofer or the tweeter that is buzzing. A woofer will be easy, the tweeter may be expensive. Use of tone controls may help here. Maybe swap woofers.

Laz

Geoffcin
04-22-2006, 09:32 AM
...if it is the woofer or the tweeter that is buzzing. A woofer will be easy, the tweeter may be expensive. Use of tone controls may help here. Maybe swap woofers.

Laz

Ohm uses a special driver, an inverted high angle cone called the "Walsh" as a full range driver. It's not cheap, and until a few years ago was unrepairable by anyone else but Ohm. You can actually repace the old driver with an upgraded version too. Here's a link you might find interesting;

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ohm/ohm.html

Feanor
04-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I picked up a pair of Walsh 4's yesterday. Very nice condition although the right speaker does make a buzzing noise. I knew this when I bought them but since Ohm still services these speakers and the price was right I went for it. I will have to open the speaker up this week end and take a look. Does anyone have an idea of what I might look for? Thanks.

cubdog

If there is one component I sold but dearly wish I had not, that would be the Ohm F's I owned in the late '70's. I sold them to buy B&W DM7's: can you image? What a fool I was.

cubdog
04-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I contacted Ohm and it looks like repair costs will run about $250. Since they are in great cosmetic condition and I don't have much into them it will be a worthwhile fix.

cubdog

Feanor
04-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I contacted Ohm and it looks like repair costs will run about $250. Since they are in great cosmetic condition and I don't have much into them it will be a worthwhile fix.

cubdog

Do you have to ship the speakers to them?

In any case, it should be well worth it.