What speakers should i buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What speakers should i buy?

hastie
04-21-2006, 01:08 AM
I am still going to school and only have a small part time job, so i was wondering what kind of speakers i should buy???? i only have a small room so i was thinking i can only fit bookshelves. i have had a look a alot of brands and like Klipsch alot, any reccomendations????

KaiWinters
04-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Your best bet is to let your ears be the judge.
Add some details to your post. Will the speakers be used for music only or for movies, etc as well? What are the room dimensions? What gear are you using to power the speakers? What type(s) of music do you listen to primarily? Are you going to use a sub or will the speakers carry the lower range of sound? These are the details necessary to making any sort of recommendation.

Speaker brands have their own "sound" as do the different types and levels of speaker type within each brand.

Compare and contrast speakers using some of your favorite music/movies. If possible the gear powering the speakers should be some sort of match, power, etc. to what you use. Find out the return policy so you can take the speakers home and try them out on your system in your environment.

To my ears and "budget" the Paradigm base models suit me fine. I have the Titans and Atoms and love their sound for the cost. Titans at $220, Atoms $200 per pair US.

Try a search on these forums as well. There are many threads such as yours and you should find lots of information available.

Above all listen to your ears.

Welcome to the forum, good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

shokhead
04-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Details needed.

emack27
04-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I would reccomend these http://www.snellacoustics.com/techdocs/LCR%207.pdf but they might be out of your price range ($2000-1600.)
Or they have others that are not so expensive here 1.) http://www.snellacoustics.com/techdocs/M%207.pdf 2.) http://www.snellacoustics.com/techdocs/K%207.pdf 3.) http://www.snellacoustics.com/techdocs/CLS.5%20Manual.pdf

MikeyBC
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
PSB also make excellent budget speakers, somthing in the Alpha line or the Image line might suit your needs, The Alpha T-1 towers have a small footprint and dont need much room. Paradigm offers similar performance for roughly the same price.

hastie
04-21-2006, 07:18 PM
thanx guys for such a good response, i will be running the speakers with a marantz sr4500 which puts out 80 watts for 7 channels. the room i will be listening in would be about 3.5 metres by 3.5 metres. i have also been looking at a polk audio sub, only because i have heard great reviews about it and it fits my budget. My system so far is used mostly for movies, but i usually listen to rock.

bettercheddar
04-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi,

The best advice I can give regarding speakers - is listen to them and then make a decision. There will be a multitude of opinions on what's the best, but ultimately it's your call! Speakers are the most important link in the audio chain - unfortunately they are also the most personal.

I say this because everyone on this forum and all the others will tell you what they like and what they think sounds the best - and yet you might listen and say, "What are they hearing that I am not!" You see my point?

In the end, it comes down to what you think sounds good. There are many fine speaker manufacturers and they all want your business. Choose a brand or two that interest you, bring out your Cds and DVDs and take them for a test listen. I am positive you will find a speaker that fits your ears and your budget. Try not to get caught up in the snob appeal - buy what you like and what sounds good to you.

I know I could list a myriad of brands here, but again, who cares what they are as long as the speakers sound great to you!

Enjoy the music!

superpanavision70mm
04-22-2006, 01:21 AM
I am going to also recommend the PSB line for several reasons. For one, right now you could pick up their bookshelf speakers for under $300. By doing so, then in the future you could upgrade to the towers in the front and those could become your surrounds. If you are not sure about the PSB's you may want to check out the Polk monitors, which you can bi-wire to give you good bass as well. Maybe check out athena too.

N. Abstentia
04-22-2006, 05:07 AM
You're gonna be hard pressed to beat the Paradigm Atoms for your budget and needs.

emack27
04-23-2006, 03:44 PM
You're gonna be hard pressed to beat the Paradigm Atoms for your budget and needs.
Hey, was that room constructed per building code?

hastie
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I actually had a listen to a fair bit of paradigm speakers and i found them a bit dainty and light for my liking.

RoyY51
04-24-2006, 05:41 AM
I would suggest that you give the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's a listen. These are bookshelf speakers with a bottom end of 42 HZ. Dainty and light, they ain't. They have gotten great reviews in the audiophile press. One of them (can't remember which) has awarded them an "Editor's Choice" designation for years. They've got a wonderfully smooth treble, life-like midrange, and, of course, rock-solid bass. I bought mine at DMC Electronics in Garden Grove, CA. for $300.00. Definitely worth a listen!

ruckus1706
04-24-2006, 01:05 PM
You should check out Athena bookshelfs, the B1.2 is about 150 a pair and the B2.2 is around 200.

calegrant
04-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Athena makes some of the best budget speakers. My first speakers were athena's and I still have them. They're great and very forgiving. Deff worth a listen

RGA
05-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Klipsh Reference series would do the trick for rock and horns are often more room friendly in my experience. Klipsch is less hi-fi sounding than some but the line is as good as any I've heard in the price range and usually better than most. They have bigger dynamics seem to play louder with less strain (horns are noce for this) and with less than robust amplifiers (like receivers) the higher efficiency makes things easier for the amps. Best of all if you are patient and look around the Klipsch Reference line sometimes goes on sale such that they are the same price as the lower line.

They're more expensive than the Atom (which is a nice speaker under $200.00) but I think the Klipsch Reference series is a big step up - again especially for rock.

Don't be afraid to go used -- you'll do far far better on the used market.

hastie
05-01-2006, 04:15 AM
cheers guys for the advice, i am a big fan of the klipsch reference sound, so i'll save my money and see if i can find some on sale or second hand.