Music Buyers Unite!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music Buyers Unite!!!!!!!!!!

jrhymeammo
04-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Okay, so we love our audio and AV equipments. Television sets are becoming more and more attractive than ever before. I used to own Denon AVR-3802 three years to go and now they offer 3805? I guess I can read about 3806 by this summer w/ another 5 additional watts. Yeah they are all cool and I have cool stuff, definetly not the absolute best but I am content. Then I see integrated amps in my dream talking to me like a Centerfold. Hmm.. a new cartridge for my TT will deliever a different sound. Since I walk to school my Ipod is very useful for background music, and for some reason I can walk faster. Maybe I shouldn't spend 200 bucks on CDs and LPs...... then walk out of a store with a heavy brown paper bag. You guys know what I'm talking about. Trust me, I do have alot of music that I can't get enough of. But what good is our equipment if we dont listen and discover new music. So, I would love to hear what music you boys and girls have BOUGHT in a past 7, nah let's make it 14 days(concert DVDs are absolutely welcomed). We do still buy music right?

I wasnt going to post mine but here is a small list.

Bring it Home to Me - Blue Mitchell
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat
Ahmad Jamal - Happy Moods
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate

BinFrog
04-21-2006, 04:27 AM
I still buy music, but I haven't bought anything in the past 14 days. Oh well.

Jim Clark
04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Last 14 days:

The Black Angels -Passover
The Appleseed Cast - Peregrine
Calexico - Garden Ruin
Built To Spill - You In Reverse
Pretty Girls Make Graves - Elan Vital

Also had to buy another copy of The Reindeer Section's Son Of Evil Reindeer because after 3 days of searching I couldn't find it and I really wanted to listen to it. After I opened the new one I found the first filed next to Snow Patrol (both are Gary Lightbody bands).

jc

musicman1999
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
last 14 days

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen--Too Much Fun
John Hiatt--Slow Turning
Boston--Boston(remastered with bonus tracks)
Allman Brothers Band--live at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Dire Straits--On The Night
Yngwie Malmsteen--The Millenium Collection

bill

jrhymeammo
04-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I forgot to bring my wallet and I'm tired of walking......................

DaHaq
04-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Bought a few LPs the other day

Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Jim Clark
04-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Bought a few LPs the other day

Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Nice list and one I could listen to. I just have the CD's not a vinyl kind of guy but I have been looking on audiogon for a tubed preamp with a phono section and a TT. I'd need a deal of a lifetime to get me back into vinyl, but it could happen.

jc

jrhymeammo
04-21-2006, 04:51 PM
I finally found my wallet.

Robert Walters - Super Heavy Organ, CD
Giant Panda - Fly School Reunion, LP

Jim Clark
04-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Not that it really matters, but I forgot that I also grabbed the new Gary Numan. If you've heard it, you'd know why I forgot about it. After what I considered the brilliance that was Exile and Pure, this is pretty much the same thing, only not as good and it's no longer fresh. When it gets to the point that you can just predict what's going to happen next that should be a good indicator that the formula has run it's course. Since when did formulas ever do anything for someone like Gary Numan in the first place?

I would emphasize however that if you want to hear someone way waste unrelentenly to the musical landscape, Exile and Pure are vastly under rated at AMG.

jc

Rockofeller
04-22-2006, 12:29 PM
My CD's of the last 14 days (buying spree):
Albert Ayler: Witches and Devils
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um
Blind Willie McTell: Atlanta Twelve String
Cannonball Adderly Quintet in San Francisco
Cannonball Adderly Quintet: Them Dirty Blues
John Coltrane: The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard
Skip James: Devil Got My Woman
Skip James: Hard Time Killin' Floor (original)

jrhymeammo
04-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Skip James ay? Good Stuff! That's gonna be on my list for next time.

Got a package from UGHH.com

People Under the Stairs - Step Father not available on LP, what's the deal? But didnt dissapoint me again.
came with 2 bonus CDs (The Best of PUTS, DJ School Vol. 4) and autographed poster. I knew Dub K was lazy but his signature is even more..........

AOTP - The Torture Papers

Tangerine Dream - Exit LP

paulo m
04-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Tangerine Dream LP? That brings back memories. I still have most of their collection until circa 1990 in LP (although I haven't had a TT since 1993).

CDs from the last 14 days (shopping spree):
Franco Evangelisti: Collection
Robert Normandeau: Figures
Robert Normandeau: Sonars
Bernard Parmegiani: Sonare
Acousmatrix 1-2 (Gottfried Michael Koenig)
Acousmatrix 3 (Luc Ferrari)
Acousmatrix 5 (Konrad Boehmer)
Monteverdi: L'Orfeo

DVDs:
Leaving Home box set

//p

DPM
04-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Lots of old stuff.

1) Frank Zappa/Sheik Yerbouti
2) Frank Zappa & The Mothers/Roxy And Elsewhere
3) John Coltrane/A Love Supreme (SACD)
4) Toy Matinee/Toy Matinee (DVD Audio)
5) ELP/Brain Salad Surgery (DVD Audio)
6) Deep Purple/Who Do We Think We Are? (Audio Fidelity gold)
7) Status Quo/Quo

jrhymeammo
04-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I found great deals on 12 inches so I splurged AGAIN!!

Antipop Consortium
Scaramanga
Promoe
Willus Drummond vs J-Zone
Mr Lif
Dilated Peoples
Writers Block
Encore
Mr Voodoo
7L & Esoteric

All for 16 bucks inc/ shipping on Ebay. This was first time I was satisfied buying records on Ebay.

musicman1999
04-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Yesterday added
War--The Very Best Of
Pink Floyd--The Wall
Gary Moore and Friends---One Night In Dublin--A Tribute to Phil Lynott (dvd)

bill

Mr Peabody
04-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I have bought:
1. Nickelback's latest album
2. Dances of the Renaissance
3. Blackmore Night's Village lanterne
4. Triumvirat's Illusion of a Double Dimple
I tried to buy Beethoven's Piano trio in D but it was out of print.

jrhymeammo
04-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Tom Waits - Night Hawks at the Diner

Philip Glass - Photographer. (It was stolen while back and I got it back it back) I know this cuz I always put a tiny initial on the corner of inner sleeves.

I originally paid 7 bucks and was on sale for 3 bucks. nice to know whoever stole it only got like 50 cents.

Bernd
04-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Working my way through the purchases I made in Holland on my way back from Berlin last weekend.

So far I've listened to :

Calexico - Garden Ruin
Kelly Joe Phelps - Roll away the Stone
Sonny Landreth - Grant Street
Dave Alvin and the Guilty Men - Interstate City
Albert Cummings - True to Yourself
Ronnie Earl/Duke Robillard - The Duke meets the Earl
Magic Slim & the Teardrops - Anything can happen
Ryan Adams - 29

Peace

Bernd:16:

BinFrog
04-24-2006, 03:57 AM

Enjoy...it's a beaut.

bobsticks
04-24-2006, 06:17 AM
My CD's of the last 14 days (buying spree):
Albert Ayler: Witches and Devils
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um
Blind Willie McTell: Atlanta Twelve String
Cannonball Adderly Quintet in San Francisco
Cannonball Adderly Quintet: Them Dirty Blues
Skip James: Devil Got My Woman
Skip James: Hard Time Killin' Floor (original)

Great selections, Rockofeller--good stuff one and all
The following is my list for last week:
Aimee Mann-live at St. Ann's Warehouse
Bush-Zen/Four
Donald ***en-Morph the Cat
Dire Straits-Dire Straitsremastered
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra-Haydn:Symphonies #81 &45DG
Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Levine-Symphony #9DG
Wynton Marsalis-In Gabriel's Garden
Marriner/Minnesota Orchestra-Music of WagnerTelarc
Boston Symphony Orchestra/Abbado-Debussy-Nocturnes/Ravel-Daphnis et Chloe
New Dutch Academy/Murphy-Early String SymphoniesSACD
Mark Knopfler-Shangri-La
Albert King-I'll Play The Blues For YouSACD
Memphis Slim-Blue Memphis
Mackerras/Prague Chamber Orchestra-Mozart "Haffner Serenade"Telarc
Dallas Symphony Orchestra-Holst The Planets
The Best of Youssou N'Dour
NBC Symphony Orchestra-Berloiz ToscaniniRCA Red Seal
Van Cliburn-Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1/Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2SACD
Martin Pearlman/Boston Baroque-JS Bach-The Complete Orchestral SuitesSACD
Joshua Bell/Berliner Philharmoniker-TchaikovskySACD
The Yellowjackets-Time SquaredSACD
Junior Wells-Come On In This HouseSACD

...sadly this is an average week

noddin0ff
04-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Funk and Jazz recently added...

Joshua Redman / SFJazz Collective
Joshua Redman : Elastic
Joshua Redman Elastic Band : Momentum
The Funky 16 Corners (Funk Compilation)
Wheedles Groove: Seattle's Finest in Funk and Soul 1965-75 (compilation)

RoyY51
04-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Frank Zappa: QuAudiophiliac

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

Nickle Creek: Why Should The Fire Die?

Mom "n" Apple Pie: Live at the Jolly Ox

Rockofeller
04-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Roy: This your first time owning Kind of Blue? Its truly one of the all time great Jazz albums

noddin0ff: Joshua Redmon huh? I don't own any CD's of him although I have met him and seen him in concert twice - he is a phenomenal young player!

bobsticks: thanks, I have long been into jazz for years but Blues I've only recently been getting into. My Uncle is something of a music expert and he has been guiding my Blues purchases. I also own Robert Johnson original stuff, McTell's Statesboro Blues, and the 1928 Sessions of Mississippi John Hurt. My next blues purchase will probably be some more Hurt. McTell is my favorite but I still consider James just as good a bluesman (the best).

DPM: A Love Supreme is my favorite album in any genre, ever.

noddin0ff
04-25-2006, 06:16 AM
noddin0ff: Joshua Redmon huh? I don't own any CD's of him although I have met him and seen him in concert twice - he is a phenomenal young player!

Yes, no shortage of talent. Redman can do just about anything with the horn, mostly he needs some good ideas. I saw him a couple times in the late 90s. He's both technically excellent and very accessible. I think some of the early stuff was frustrating because it just didn’t go very deep. Lots of hooks and no long term legs. I picked up ‘Beyond’ a while ago which is quite the opposite, IMO. More depth, less accessibility. More in the vein of Coltrane, longer phrases, emotional blowing. I think ‘Beyond’ has some staying power, but it takes a few more listens to get into. It has the kind of depth that ‘A Love Supreme’ has, more spiritual. But also has some very sweet tracks as well. 4 1/2 stars? I have to agree that 'A Love Supreme' is in a category by itself though. Monumental.

Lately I’ve been trying to explore some Funk+Jazz hybrids and decided to revisit Redman based on reviews. ‘Elastic’ and ‘Momentum’ are both easy to get into, very fun, but have more continuity and depth than the early stuff. They flow better and are more complete. I’d say they are 4 stars. I haven’t heard anything lately that I’d say is an instant five-star classic, but maybe Jazz is starting to come around. I’ve always liked Brian Blades on drums whenever I’ve heard him and he is on many tracks. Elastic is slower, more groove oriented; the songs and melodies morph more. Momentum is more uptempo and lively fun. Redman uses a lot of real-time electronic processing on the horn to good effect. Someone in the biz probably knows what it’s called (harmonizers?). Pretty much anyone would like these albums. Even if you’re not a big Jazz fan.

Haven’t spent as much time with SFJazz, but it is good, It’s a bit of a ‘sampler’ style album. Great talent. I’m probably one of the rare folk that really like Vibes. I’ve seen Bobby Hutcherson a couple times and just been spell bound. Also have a couple Nicholas Payton albums and very much enjoy them (Payton’s Place, especially).

I guess since it’s Tuesday, I’ll have to post my comments on the Tuesday thread…*copy* / *paste*

RoyY51
04-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Rocko: Yeah, believe it or not, this is my first time owning Kind of Blue. I've just recently been getting more into jazz and this album is one of many on my long list, along with Sketches of Spain and *****es Brew. I grew up in O.C. CA. and used to go to the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach on a regular basis. I saw The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Hoyt Axton, Linda Ronstadt, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Buddy Miles' Express, The Dillards and many others there, and I guess they helped form my musical tastes. What the Bear did not host on a regular basis was jazz, so I missed out on an important part of my musical education. But I am trying to make up for lost time.

noddin0ff
04-25-2006, 07:06 AM
personally, I'd keep Sketches of Spain and B. Brew down the list for a while. I've owned them for years and still rarely listen to them. There's MANY other great recordings I'd visit first...

shokhead
04-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Last 14 days
Donald ***an Kamakiriad DTS
Steve Miller Fly Like An Eagle DTS

Feanor
04-25-2006, 01:21 PM
So, I would love to hear what music you boys and girls have BOUGHT in a past 7, nah let's make it 14 days(concert DVDs are absolutely welcomed). We do still buy music right?

In the last coupe of weeks I've bought the following ...

Takemistu: Chamber Music (BIS)
Haydn: String Quartets Op.51, 103 (Naxos)
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du soldat (Suparphon)
Thomas Tallis: Spem in Alium (Naxos)
Miles Davis: Miles Smiles (Columbia)
Sam Rivers: Contours (Blue Note)

jrhymeammo
04-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Okay, so we love our audio and AV equipments. Television sets are becoming more and more attractive than ever before. I used to own Denon AVR-3802 three years to go and now they offer 3805? I guess I can read about 3806 by this summer w/ another 5 additional watts.

Opps... Denon already offer 3806, so I guess I'll be reading about 3807s. I hope they didn't introduce 3808, 3809, and 3800 Xtreme Edition by the time I post this. BTW I am not dissing Denon receivers, my experience with it was great.

Rockofeller
04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
If I were developing a bop and later Jazz collection and wanted to have a good selection to determine where my tastes lie I would start with:

John Coltrane:
Giant Steps
Blue Train
A Love Supreme

Mingus:
Mingus Ah Um

Miles Davis:
Kind of Blue
In a Silent Way
E.S.P.

Sonny Rollins:
Saxophone Collossus

Cannonball Adderly Quintet:
Somethin' Else

Wes Montgomery:
The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

Thelonius Monk:
Brilliant Corners
Genius of Modern Music, Pt. 1

Dave Brubeck:
Time Out

You haven't even started a jazz education, imho, without having listened hard to all of the above records...there are many more important ones but as far as later 50's on, I think this is a starting point. Others will likely disagree. I'm sure I've left out some very important recordings

And if you are feeling adventurous (warning "free jazz"):
Albert Ayler: Spiritual Unity
John Coltrane: Ascension

Based on what you like most of the above, you can easily find a direction to build your collection in.

jrhymeammo
04-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey, Rockafella I also bought the Cannonbal Adderly Quintet: Somethin' Else on LP about 2 weeks ago. I didnt think RVG edition could sound better but LP is more incredible.

Rest of my LPs I bought about 2 weeks ago.

Das Efx - Holding it Down

Sonny Stitt - Rearin' Back

Grant Green/John Patton - Iron City

Yes - Close to the Edge

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' Blues

Joe Puma - Shinin Hour

Nina Simone - To Love Somebody

Horace Parlan - No Blues

Hank Mobley - Messages

Cliff Brown - Memorial Album

I'm really trying to break away from the usual jazz musicans, but I guess there are great reasons why they are famous.

Rockofeller
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Here's some less listened to artists that are just as great:
Albert Ayler
Booker Ervin
Eric Dolphy

Feanor
04-26-2006, 05:51 AM
If I were developing a bop and later Jazz collection and wanted to have a good selection to determine where my tastes lie I would start with
Based on what you like most of the above, you can easily find a direction to build your collection in.

I'd pass on Wes Montgomery, but the rest are great -- where I started myself: how clever of me!

By the way All Music Guide classifies most of the other artists' music in the Hard Bob, Post-Bob, Modal, Avante Garde, and/or Cool categories. Right up my alley!
:16:

noddin0ff
04-26-2006, 06:20 AM
To Rockofellers excellent list I would add

Bill Evans : Live at the Village Vanguard

jrhymeammo
04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Here's some less listened to artists that are just as great:
Albert Ayler
Booker Ervin
Eric Dolphy

I gotta few by Dolphy and they are great. I'll check into Ayler and Ervin soon. Thanks for the post.

Rockofeller
04-26-2006, 04:23 PM
The Dolphy albums to start with are Out to Lunch and Iron Man.
Ayler: I would start with My Name is Albert Ayler (hard to find European release) and then Spiritual Unity and Live At Greenwhich Village. Personally I think once youve heard these albums you dont need anymore Ayler - you can enjoy these for a lifetime.
For Booker Ervin get "Structurally Sound" - the album is so hotttttt.

bobsticks
04-27-2006, 09:53 AM
IMO for the beginners I would add Thelonius Monk's Straight No Chaser and John Coltrane's Lush Life. I'll agree with the many outstanding qualities of A love Supreme and Take Five, but when I've played this for uninitiated friends I've gotten looks of confusion:confused5: It's kind of like going from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds--exciting for some, but way too much if you've been riding on a bus your whole life...

I would, however, say that we are getting into nit-picking details now. Overall it's great to see a thoughtful list born of the joy of experience. Thanks again.

3db
04-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Okay, so we love our audio and AV equipments. Television sets are becoming more and more attractive than ever before. I used to own Denon AVR-3802 three years to go and now they offer 3805? I guess I can read about 3806 by this summer w/ another 5 additional watts. Yeah they are all cool and I have cool stuff, definetly not the absolute best but I am content. Then I see integrated amps in my dream talking to me like a Centerfold. Hmm.. a new cartridge for my TT will deliever a different sound. Since I walk to school my Ipod is very useful for background music, and for some reason I can walk faster. Maybe I shouldn't spend 200 bucks on CDs and LPs...... then walk out of a store with a heavy brown paper bag. You guys know what I'm talking about. Trust me, I do have alot of music that I can't get enough of. But what good is our equipment if we dont listen and discover new music. So, I would love to hear what music you boys and girls have BOUGHT in a past 7, nah let's make it 14 days(concert DVDs are absolutely welcomed). We do still buy music right?

Bring it Home to Me - Blue Mitchell
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat
Ahmad Jamal - Happy Moods
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate

Robert Johnson "Complete Recordings"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever"
Metric "Live It Out"
Phish "Farmhouse"

Rockofeller
04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't think Take Five has much of a learning curve...if someone doesn't like taht album off the bat then I hold no hope for them! A Love Supreme might take a little more listening experience. Lush Life...tahts the album with Coltrane playing a bunch of excellent standards and ballads. Its a good album, but I would sooner buy "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartmann" - The rendition of lush life on that recording is unbeatable!

jrhymeammo
04-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't think Take Five has much of a learning curve...if someone doesn't like taht album off the bat then I hold no hope for them! A Love Supreme might take a little more listening experience. Lush Life...tahts the album with Coltrane playing a bunch of excellent standards and ballads. Its a good album, but I would sooner buy "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartmann" - The rendition of lush life on that recording is unbeatable!

I agree about A Love Supreme. I dont think anybody should buy that album and expect to hear "Jazz", kinda like Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy. Probably the easiest way to turn people on to Jazz is *****es Brew. It has that rock-fusion sound and younger kids'll dig it. I love MMW, STS9 and all that stuff but listening to John Scofield's Uber Jam then to *****es Brew might even be better a better transition.

Here is a small stack I bought on sales today:

Beethoven - Symphony No. 6 in F minor Opus68
Earl Wild - Wild about Gershwin
Citizen Cope - I was able find it on LP for $5.98 sealed. A lot of people hate this but I dont care obviosuly.
Bach - The Philadelphia Orchestra, Fugues
Chopin - Philippe Entremont
NIN - Richard X and El-P remixes
Bruch - Violin Cocerto No.1 G Minor, (10 inch)The Musical Society Masterpiece
The Last Kind - Revelation

jrhymeammo
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Robert Johnson "Complete Recordings"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever"
Metric "Live It Out"
Phish "Farmhouse"

LOL, Farmhouse? That album is fun and thanks for bringing me back some strong memories. Not that big in Phish anymore but I named my dog after their song. Though I have a few on CDs, I'm having the hardest time finding CAN on vinyl. Even my dog Wilson seems bummed out about it too. :17:

Bernd
04-27-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm having the hardest time finding CAN on vinyl. Even my dog Wilson seems bummed out about it too. :17:

Take a look at www.gemm.com

Peace

Bernd:16:

3db
04-28-2006, 04:59 AM
LOL, Farmhouse? That album is fun and thanks for bringing me back some strong memories. Not that big in Phish anymore but I named my dog after their song. Though I have a few on CDs, I'm having the hardest time finding CAN on vinyl. Even my dog Wilson seems bummed out about it too. :17:

I've never heard of them until I saw an add in a best buy flyer. I downloaded a few songs and really liked what I heard , ourchased it and now have it in my collection. I have to say that they sound amazingly tight and I'm most impressed with the bassist. Its feel good music with sounding like feel good music if you know what I mean.

bobsticks
04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't think Take Five has much of a learning curve...if someone doesn't like taht album off the bat then I hold no hope for them!!

LOL, you're probably right--I'm just trying to look at my friends as uneducated rather than philistines :)

jrhymeammo
04-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I found this LP in jazz section. Kinda crazy if you ask me, but I dont think I can categorize this music either.

Wendy Carlos aka Walter Carlos - Beauty in the Beast.

I also got Bloquera - Bloquera

emorphien
04-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Pink Floyd DSOTM and a Medeski Martin and Wood record, both vinyl.

Commemorating my new turntable when it arrives. The DSOTM I have is old and worn. This new one is fresh and brandy new. I hope it's a good quality master & pressing.

I think that's it. Bought a handful of things a few weeks ago.

jrhymeammo
04-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Pink Floyd DSOTM and a Medeski Martin and Wood record, both vinyl.

What a great pick, which MMW did you get? Is it the Dropper? They are definetly one of the Cash Cow for that label. I cant understand why Blue Note doesnt issue Tonic on vinyl. I would get at least 3 copies just in case it warps on me. Enjoy.

emorphien
04-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Actually no I really don't know much or own any MMW but I'm just getting started and it was a reasonable price. It's "End of the World Party."

I've heard bits and pieces over the years and liked it, and my coworker was listening to this album a few days ago. It'll be the first of many I'm sure.