Anyone see the new HD-DVD in action yet at BB? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the new HD-DVD in action yet at BB?

Highgear
04-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I just read in the NY Post today that Best Buy will be one of the first to recieve the HD-DVD players as of this week. I called around a few BB's here in CT. and was told next week. If you see something , keep us posted.

edtyct
04-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Walmart online, and maybe brick and mortar, has its own model of Toshiba's less expensive player. It' called the HD-D1. Walmart claims that it's available right now at $498. I'm just political enough to add that this post is not an endorsement of Walmart or any of its labor practices. However, the player is reputed to the same as the lower-end Toshiba sold elsewhere.

AVMASTER
04-21-2006, 09:27 AM
i'm currently watching a JVC HD-DVD player in my showroom on a first gen 61" HD-ILA microdisplay. It's connected with a DVI-D to HDMI interconnect. This is a pre-production unit from my JVC rep. with a demo disc. Unfortunately I don't have a display right now to max it out but even at 720p on the HD-ILA, PQ is fantastic!!!!! Some of the features are inaccessible, mostly computer/ on-line access, IP settings, etc.., the DVD setup is very basic with tv type, auto play, and parental control. Options gives you video output setting for component and DVI up to 1080 and a DVI setting for 1024x768.

edtyct
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi Avmaster,

Nothing in the settings for 1366x768? That would cover a lot of the bases.

Ed

AVMASTER
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
i've left a message with my rep. about that, it would seem that you could set it for 1366x768 but the scroll bar won't let me go pass 1024x768. Being a post-production unit there's alot of functions that just may not be ready yet. I'll keep you informed

Highgear
04-23-2006, 01:04 PM
I just found this. Toshiba HDA1 for a limited time @ $439.99below.

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=546

Walmart online, and maybe brick and mortar, has its own model of Toshiba's less expensive player. It' called the HD-D1. Walmart claims that it's available right now at $498. I'm just political enough to add that this post is not an endorsement of Walmart or any of its labor practices. However, the player is reputed to the same as the lower-end Toshiba sold elsewhere.

robert393
04-23-2006, 02:29 PM
12% price drop in less than 1 week on the market...and without competition. I see the price being even more affordable in the coming months as more models become available. this is good news for all of us.
Robert

I just found this. Toshiba HDA1 for a limited time @ $439.99below.

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=546

Smokey
04-23-2006, 06:04 PM
12% price drop in less than 1 week on the market...and without competition. I see the price being even more affordable in the coming months as more models become available. this is good news for all of us.

By lowering the price of HD player, Toshiba might have an ace in the hole to win HD DVD formnat war by keeping price of their players way lower than Blu-ray player (starting at $1000). This format war will be interesting :)