Anyone else see Shooter Jennings on Letterman [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see Shooter Jennings on Letterman

Mr Peabody
04-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I never heard of him before last night and I'm sure I'm probably going to forget, if I'm lucky. This is the son of the late Waylon Jennings. The song they done was actually not bad but after checking out the album samples it's obvious that some one is trying to capitalize on the Jennings name. Some songs sound like they came right out of dad's catalog, where others are written to cator to the ultra-redneck, hard drinkin' party type who after downing a few don't care if this guy can carry a tune in a bucket. Well he's not the first and won't be the last to try to walk in dad's shoes. Other than maybe Hank Jr. I can't think of anyone in any genre who was really successful doing that though. Julian had an album or two but where is he now? Where's the Wall Flowers? And what about that group where every one of them was related to some one famous, Bloodline, maybe? Anyway I think I just hijacked my own thread.

ForeverAutumn
04-20-2006, 05:16 AM
According to my TV Guide, the musical guest was supposed to be Tom Russell. I was going to tape the show to see Tom, but forgot to. I'm glad that I didn't miss anything.

P.S. I don't know much about Waylon. Was he a drinker? Just wondering how much drinking you have to do before you wanna name your kid "Shooter". :smilewinkgrin:

-Jar-
04-20-2006, 05:25 AM
I never heard of him before last night and I'm sure I'm probably going to forget, if I'm lucky. This is the son of the late Waylon Jennings. The song they done was actually not bad but after checking out the album samples it's obvious that some one is trying to capitalize on the Jennings name. Some songs sound like they came right out of dad's catalog, where others are written to cator to the ultra-redneck, hard drinkin' party type who after downing a few don't care if this guy can carry a tune in a bucket. Well he's not the first and won't be the last to try to walk in dad's shoes. Other than maybe Hank Jr. I can't think of anyone in any genre who was really successful doing that though. Julian had an album or two but where is he now? Where's the Wall Flowers? And what about that group where every one of them was related to some one famous, Bloodline, maybe? Anyway I think I just hijacked my own thread.

I have to admit that I was entertained. They were totally out of time. Like, if those guys were on a stage somewhere jamming in 1976 (instead of 2006), no one would bat an eye.
I thought they rocked pretty good. I'm not much of a stickler for vocals, he seemed to have the spirit. The song was good, if somewhat generic (reminded me of "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi actually). I thought the put forth a good effort though, esp. the guitars and drums. It seemed like they were really enjoying themselves. And Shooter's glasses were the perfect touch.. I probably won't go buy the album, but I have to admit that I did find them entertaining, in a curious kind of way.

-jar

-Jar-
04-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Ziggy Marley is pretty good, but he certainly comes from a musical family..

tentoze
04-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Put The "O" Back In Country is actually a pretty good album. Certainly not the best thing I've heard in the last couple of years, but credible enough for what it is. If Shooter can find his way out from under Dad's shadow, I think he can make a go of it.

Mr Peabody
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Ah, Ziggy, he is definitely another who made it.

He has his second album so apparently Put The O sold enough or got enough attention to get him another shot.

Mr Peabody
04-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Hey,FA, I had a revelation in my sleep, I have 2 words for you TiVo, or maybe 3, DVR:)

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Hey,FA, I had a revelation in my sleep, I have 2 words for you TiVo, or maybe 3, DVR:)

Mr. Body, you were thinking about me in your sleep? I don't know if I should be flattered or afraid. :confused:

We don't have TiVo in Canada, eh. And I'm not sure what a DVR is. :rolleyes5:

Dusty Chalk
04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Digital Video Recorder

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Digital Video Recorder

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know it means Digital Video Recorder. I'm just not sure how a DVR works. Can you use it off of basic cable like a VCR? Or is for digital satellite TV?

Dusty Chalk
04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know it means Digital Video Recorder. I'm just not sure how a DVR works. Can you use it off of basic cable like a VCR? Or is for digital satellite TV?You can use it off of basic cable like a VCR, only it's as fast as random access. Also, when one upgrades to digital satellite TV, one can also get one with a DVR already built in.

Mr Peabody
04-22-2006, 07:17 PM
No TiVo!? Oh, I forgot Canada was a 3rd World country :) Hey, I kinda like that shorter name "Mr Body". I might consider that change if there's no copyright infringement. Don't be afraid I'm just a harmless psycho.

You might check with your cable company to see if DVR is available. The cable box has a built in hard drive that the programs you record go onto. When you are through just delete or if you want to save your program you can keep it on the hard drive until you need the room or hook up a DVD recorder or VCR to it. Most of them allow you to record one show while watching another. It is similar to TiVo, so if there is a law or something forbidding it you may not have DVR either.