8.00 Two-Way Suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 8.00 Two-Way Suggestions

jocko_nc
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I just picked up a pair of old Acoustic Research "Rock Partner" cabinets (drivers were crappy and shot) from the Goodwill shop. Trapezoidal shape in MDF with heavy plastic laminate, these look like mini stage monitors. Sealed design. Set up for a 8.00 woofer and 1.125 tweeter.

I want to rebuild these for use on my screened porch. Humidity resistance would be a key attribute. Also low cost.

I was thinking the Dayton silk dome tweeter. Poly cone woofer of some type.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

jocko

jocko_nc
04-20-2006, 08:04 AM
I have more specific information now. This project is a set of 1980's AR "rock partners" that I picked up at Goodwill. I figure these could be either outdoor speakers for my screened porch or mini stage monitors for guitar. 8.00 2-ways really are a blast from the past, I have not found a single proven design out there. The cabinets are good quality and sort of funky in a good way.

8.00 woofer
1.00 to 1.25 tweeter
.26 cu ft
sealed, heavily damped
trapeziodal cabinet 14 3/4 x 9 1/2 x 8 3/4

Problem is that the woofer mounting is going to be tough to work with. The recess on the cutout can only accomodate 8.25 inches for the flange. Most drivers will be 8.50 or more. I cannot reasonably modify that. This is a minimal cabinet for sure.

I have only found the Poineer drivers that have a 8.25 diameter. Are they decent quality? Which ones? I really do not want to put is a foam surround driver, that seems so lame. However, extra damping may be a good thing. ???. Their rubber surround is a paper cone of some type. Is that a no-no for screen porch use? Should I look for automotive drivers? 8.00 is not real common in car audio from what I have seen.

Should I bag the outdoor idea entirely and build pro-audio stage monitors?

I need ideas.

Thanks,

jocko

jocko_nc
04-21-2006, 08:44 AM
It looks pro audio is the only use for these. I'm going to install an Eminence 8.00 and a piezo tweeter. It should be loud and durable. It will fit. No need for a proper crossover. I'll find many uses for them, I really like the 45 degree floor monitor thing. Good party speakers.

jocko