Klipsch KSB 1.1, 2.1, or 3.1 vs JBL HLS610 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch KSB 1.1, 2.1, or 3.1 vs JBL HLS610

meloyelo
04-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I've been looking very closely at the Klipsch KSB 1.1s and have only recently found out about the JBL HLS610s and was wondering how these two compare as far as sound quality goes. Also are the 2.1s or 3.1s a significant step above the 1.1s and also how do they compare to the JBLs. Thank you.

bfalls
04-19-2006, 05:09 AM
The KSB 2.1 would be the better apples to apples comparison (both have 6.5" woofers and horn-loaded tweeter). I had both the 2.1s and the 3.1 and have heard the 1.1. Of the three I enjoyed the sound of the 2.1 the best. I thought the 3.1s would have better bass, but the bass was only slightly better. I enjoyed the tonal balance of the 2.1s better in 2-channel listening. Of course you will have the efficiency of the Klipsch and I've always enjoyed their imaging. I also have an all Klipsch system with vintage Kg4s, KV3/KLF-C7, RS-3s and the SW8 sub. It's costs less than 1/8 the cost of my main system, but sounds as good, only different. I've never been a JBL fan, but have noticed they're starting to make very decent speakers again. For awhile they went so mass-market the quality had gone down. Let your ears be your guide, but I'd recommend the 2.1s over the JBLs any day.

meloyelo
04-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Are the KSB 2.1's noticeably better then the 1.1's and how do they differ in sound? Thank you for the reply...

audio_dude
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM
like I always say (and someone is going to bash me for this someday)

JBL=
J unkie
B ut
L oud

GMichael
04-19-2006, 05:33 PM
like I always say (and someone is going to bash me for this someday)

JBL=
J unkie
B ut
L oud

OK, you're bashed. Hope it didn't hurt too much.

bfalls
04-20-2006, 05:29 AM
I think the 2.1s are much better than the 1.1s. I heard the 1.1s as surrounds and they just seemed to anemic. There was little or no bass, especially when used with full-range DD sources. The 2.1s just sound better balanced. They go low enough to be satisfying, but not as colored as the 3.1 where the 8" driver is trying to go too high and tweeter too low into the midrange. The 2.1s would do well as mains in a two channel system. These are older speakers and can be found for less than $200 on ebay.

meloyelo
04-20-2006, 09:21 PM
I am unfortunately a college student so I really don't have much money to burn, preferably if I could get a decent pair of speakers for less then a hundred or so that would be great.. When you mean anemic do you mean that the sound they produce is relatively weak? I've heard that these speakers are very efficient and are quite loud for their size. For a casual listener, although I can be picky at times, is the bass on the 1.1's really that bad? I always seem to find mixed reviews where some say the bass is more then enough and others say it is almost nonexistent...

bfalls
04-21-2006, 05:03 AM
In all honesty, I've heard the 1.1s several times, but only as rears in a home theater setup. I was commenting in respect to using them as mains in either HT or 2-channel system. As a college student with limited funds---and space, they could work for you very well. You won't need a huge amp because of their efficiency and their 5.25" woofers won't cause too many problems with roommates or neighbors. You shouldn't have any problem finding them online in your price range. My prefference is still for the 2.1s, so if you can find them reasonably close in price get them instead. If you can find them in Rosewood they're very attractive and will be a good trade-in after college.

2chAlex
04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I saw that Circuit City had bookshelf Polk's for !00 a pair and being new you'd have warranty. Check Polk on E-Bay seems there are usually R15, R20's that seem quite popular. Not trying tp promote Polk just that they seem to have some models in your budget. As for Klipsch if you can up your budget, there are SB-2 at an authorized dealer for 249. Energy has C100 (think that's the right #) a 5.25 woofer for around 200. Your choices are many but that's where the fun is. Plus there's the used market to help stretch that budget. Enjoy

meloyelo
04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Thank you all for the input... How do the Polk R15 or R20s compare?? Also I do indeed like decent bass and although in the distant future I may purchase a subwoofer, how is the bass output of both the Klipsch 1.1 and 2.1? I don't necessarily need the room to be shaking but just want to get a full sound if that makes sense... Forgive me for all the questions.. ^^...

2chAlex
04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
without questions how is one to find answers, that's the forums intent. As for Polks I've not listened to either of those, only the RTi4's sorry. The Klipsch SB-2, which is a newer version of the 2.1 did sound good to my ears (there's the thing, needs to be your ears). . On the sub thing, Dayton Audio has two, (10",12") powered for 125 and 150, so if what you get doesn't have enough omph you have an inexpensive option

audio_dude
04-24-2006, 08:09 AM
thanks Gmicheal, didn't hurt that much, JBL makes some pretty good high end stuff, but I think their best stuff is their DJ speakers...and their three ways make GREAT speakers for blasting at parties, just don't expect them to sound good...

meloyelo
04-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Well I just purchased a pair of Klipsch 2.1s on ebay for a 103.55 ;), although that does not include shipping... Thank you all for the great input...

bfalls
04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Great purchase! I usually see these go for around $175/pr. I believe they retail for around $329. I had a pair of 2.1s and 3.1s and sold them to a friend for $180/pr. They were in great shape and a heck of a deal. He's looking for either a KV2 or KV3 center speaker. Let me know what you think of the 2.1s. I enjoyed them more than the 3.1s and would have kept them, but my room was getting too full. Enjoy.