Mystic River, Cold Mountain, Lost in Translation, and some rentals. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mystic River, Cold Mountain, Lost in Translation, and some rentals.

Kam
01-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Ok, so i had some free time and went a little crazy.

Mystic River - great movie, strange ending. kinda felt like hamlet in that it was an actor's piece more so then a great story. and it showcased a lot of talent. definitely worth checking out but be prepared, not the feel-good movie of the year.

Cold Mountain - i really should have liked this movie, but didn't. nothing was blaringly wrong with it, the acting was fine, renee zellwegger and natalie portman did a great job and it was a beautiful looking movie, scenery, everything. but... just wasn't drawn in to the story. I read an article by the editor that one of the themes they tried to keep throughout the film was that Inman (jude law) was a ghost, and that he died on the battlefield but was haunted enough to still try and journey home. now THAT would have really made it good, but that's not what they ultimately did.

Lost in Translation - awesome movie. i loved it and bill murray was hysterical yet so simple in his scenes. really well done. simple, captivating story.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - maybe since i went into this one having heard how crappy it was supposed to be that my expectations were low, but i enjoyed it a lot. it wasn't as good as desperado, but it was in the same vein. very fun action flick in the rodriguez style. not sure why it got ripped the way it did, gonna go reread some of the neg reviews to see what people thought was bad, but... i thought it was good fun. and johnny depp was great.

Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back - same as above. i enjoyed it. not as good as dogma or chasing amy, but good kevin smith type fun. if you liked the others, this one will be enjoyable.

Attack of the Clones - caught this again. wow does this have some of the worst dialogue. not an exact quote, but:
Annakin: I killed them all. and not just the men, but the women and children too. they're like animals and i slaughtered them like animals.
Amidala: To be angry is human.
WHAT?? Talk about a hitler bride in the making. This love really enforces the whole "girls love a-holes/ mass murderers" even in other universes. i guess she figured once they got married, she could change him from mass-murdering other people. ah... silly girls!

T3 - wow what another horrible movie. stand by my original review even more. ruined the franchise like Batman and Robin. i hope they don't make a T4 and further grind cameron's vision into the ground. he's gotta be secretly chuckling at how bad this turned out. decent enough action flick for being a mindless action flick, horrible for a "terminator" movie given what the first two were.

peace
k2

Worf101
01-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Ok, so i had some free time and went a little crazy.
I didn't see any of the first three movies soooo. I can't comment. I try to stand by my rule of not talking about what you haven't seen.

Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back - same as above. i enjoyed it. not as good as dogma or chasing amy, but good kevin smith type fun. if you liked the others, this one will be enjoyable.
I enjoyed this film somewhat. I was disappointed that the irreverant fun started in Dogma couldn't be continued. It's a goodie if you've nothing else to do.

Attack of the Clones - caught this again. wow does this have some of the worst dialogue. not an exact quote, but:
Annakin: I killed them all. and not just the men, but the women and children too. they're like animals and i slaughtered them like animals.
Amidala: To be angry is human.
WHAT?? Talk about a hitler bride in the making. This love really enforces the whole "girls love a-holes/ mass murderers" even in other universes. i guess she figured once they got married, she could change him from mass-murdering other people. ah... silly girls!
I agree totally with you on this one. George Lucas has no one to blame but himself for this silliness. How to take a classic film and diminish it's legace with 5 other installments. Sheesh whatta marroooonn...

T3 - wow what another horrible movie. stand by my original review even more. ruined the franchise like Batman and Robin. i hope they don't make a T4 and further grind cameron's vision into the ground. he's gotta be secretly chuckling at how bad this turned out. decent enough action flick for being a mindless action flick, horrible for a "terminator" movie given what the first two were.[
A film soooo hollow Swollenpecker has to use a CGI stand in for his body when walking around nude in the first part of the film. That shoulda told you something right there. Good to see you around bud....

Peace Out...

Da Worfster :p