Help with my neighbors? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with my neighbors?

Mey
04-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Hello all-

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice I could pass on to my neighbors. We live in condos, and they are directly below me. They have a home theater. I don't know what kind- but it definately has a massive subwoofer.

A good chunk of the problem is that they play their music and TV very, very loud, which the bass cranked up high-once so high the art on my walls started to rattle. That you all can't help me with.

However, I am looking for suggestions on how they can set up their speakers/subwoofer in a way that still gives them surround sound without bothering me or their next door neighbor. I've already found the article on audioholics.com.

I am going to the HO association board meeting tomorrow to file a formal complaint. I'm trying to be as polite as possible, and want to present solutions in addition to the complaints. (I'm a librarian, providing information is in my nature.) I have no idea if the downstairs neighbors will take the suggestions-the last time I asked them to turn it down they slammed the door in my face.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Kam
04-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Hello all-

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice I could pass on to my neighbors. We live in condos, and they are directly below me. They have a home theater. I don't know what kind- but it definately has a massive subwoofer.

A good chunk of the problem is that they play their music and TV very, very loud, which the bass cranked up high-once so high the art on my walls started to rattle. That you all can't help me with.

However, I am looking for suggestions on how they can set up their speakers/subwoofer in a way that still gives them surround sound without bothering me or their next door neighbor. I've already found the article on audioholics.com.

I am going to the HO association board meeting tomorrow to file a formal complaint. I'm trying to be as polite as possible, and want to present solutions in addition to the complaints. (I'm a librarian, providing information is in my nature.) I have no idea if the downstairs neighbors will take the suggestions-the last time I asked them to turn it down they slammed the door in my face.

tell them to get Bose. :D

L.J.
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Hello all-

Ah the joy of owning a house.

Back in my apartment days I surely pissed off a good deal of people. I doubt there's anything they can do but turn it down or go without a sub. Perhaps you can arrange for them to watch a movie while your off shopping or something. I would blast my music and didn't care what the neighbors thought either. Kids!! I'll tell ya.

If you cant beat em join em.......show up at the door with a 12 pack a couple of cd/dvd's and let the party begin:3:

Resident Loser
04-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Hello all-

...there may be several, but short of building a room-within-a-room, none of them will be completely effective...and they really have to start at the source IMO...unfortunately given your experience with them, I'll hazard a guess any suggestions will likely fall on deaf ears...no pun intended.

Carpeting and other sound absorbent panels will ameliorate high frequency sounds to some degree, but lower freqs are structure-bourne...hence the room-in-a-room mentioned earlier...One man's ceiling may very well be another man's floor, but that also includes: walls, hallways, elevator shafts, ductwork, etc. Anything in common, will transfer some of the lower frequencies...It will probably require qualified acousticians to analyze and help in the situation, but even so they won't be able to perform miracles...The building most likely predates mega-watt idiocy and was built for people to live in relative harmony in a day when consideration for your neighbor may have actually been an accepted norm...and we know where that is at nowadays...and actually subwoofers aren't absolutely required for surround sound, usually they only enhance the LFEs (Low Frequency Effects) resplendent in movies featuring laser-toting mechanical lizards and such...strictly the WOW! factor...There is a chance they don't have their system set up correctly and it may be overemphasizing the offending frequencies...most folks (generally those unfamiliar with audio and hi-fi) equate quality with quantity, loudness with accuracy...most folks are wrong. Additionally, the fact they now know they are annoying other people can, to some, just be icing on the proverbial cake.

You are probably better off hoping the owners association can enforce whatever by-laws that may be applicable, I'm sure there must be something they can do...Then of course, even if the matter is resolved in your favor, you will in all likelyhood have a group of mindless dolts who will hold you in less than the highest regard for spoiling their fun! And as we have already seen, it's all about them...isn't it?

jimHJJ(...what ever were you thinking?...)

GMichael
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
They could get base shakers such as these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-027

These get mounted to their chairs & sofas etc. They let them feel the base better so they could turn down their sub & give their neighbors a break. I am assuming that the loud base is the part that is the most disturbing.
Somehow, I get the feeling that they won't care either way. Good luck with them and welcome to AR.

Mey
04-18-2006, 11:28 AM

You are probably better off hoping the owners association can enforce whatever by-laws that may be applicable, I'm sure there must be something they can do...Then of course, even if the matter is resolved in your favor, you will in all likelyhood have a group of mindless dolts who will hold you in less than the highest regard for spoiling their fun! And as we have already seen, it's all about them...isn't it?

jimHJJ(...what ever were you thinking?...)

Yes, we are hoping (I'm not the only one they are annoying) that either the homeowner's association can do something or if they cause enough problems that we can document their landlord will evict them.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mey
04-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Can't go shopping at 3am....

N. Abstentia
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
The only way to silence a subwoofer is to remove the subwoofer. They are designed to to exactly what you're describing!

E-Stat
04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
However, I am looking for suggestions on how they can set up their speakers/subwoofer in a way that still gives them surround sound without bothering me or their next door neighbor.
Offer to calibrate the subs to have flat response with respect to the mains using a test disc and sound pressure meter like the inexpensive Radio Shack unit. Most folks crank the crap out of their subs in a most unnatural way.

rw

topspeed
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
the last time I asked them to turn it down they slammed the door in my face.

Follow these quick and easy steps to everlasting serenity:

Purchase:
1) 1 (one) slingshot
2) 1 (one) gallon of the most gawdawful colored paint you can find. Lead based.
3) 1 (one) large ball bearing

Steps:
1) Put a pachinko ball (or like-sized ball bearing) into slingshot
2) Find car that d!ckhead neighbor drives.
3) Aim slingshot at driver's side window. Release. (Note: The safety glass will shatter and cascade down with nary a whisper)
4) Take can of paint and pour gratuitously into d!ckhead's vehicle
5) Pop open a cold one and enjoy.

Will this stop their bumping and thumping? Of course not. But neither will anything else you do :rolleyes:

However, you will sleep better at night :D.

Do it right, and it can look like this:
*Note how they took the time to pour it into the center vents. Nice touch.
http://www.hpjvids.com/mods/Darren/M3/side.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5145/m32vq.jpg

GMichael
04-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Follow these quick and easy steps to everlasting serenity:

Purchase:
1) 1 (one) slingshot
2) 1 (one) gallon of the most gawdawful colored paint you can find. Lead based.
3) 1 (one) large ball bearing

Steps:
1) Put a pachinko ball (or like-sized ball bearing) into slingshot
2) Find car that d!ckhead neighbor drives.
3) Aim slingshot at driver's side window. Release. (Note: The safety glass will shatter and cascade down with nary a whisper)
4) Take can of paint and pour gratuitously into d!ckhead's vehicle
5) Pop open a cold one and enjoy.

Will this stop their bumping and thumping? Of course not. But neither will anything else you do :rolleyes:

However, you will sleep better at night :D.

Do it right, and it can look like this:
*Note how they took the time to pour it into the center vents. Nice touch.
http://www.hpjvids.com/mods/Darren/M3/side.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5145/m32vq.jpg

Oh sure. Now you post pics?

Geez

JoeE SP9
04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Come on guys, that was an M3. It did look like it had an automatic so there are mitigating circumstances.:cool:

shokhead
04-19-2006, 05:40 AM
My neighbors in the back has put a jacuzzi up against the back wall away from there house and closest to mine. Super loud music on a poor mini system till 2-3 in the morning and i havent said a word but when i mow the back yard at 8:30AM and can hear him yelling at me. I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet.

topspeed
04-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Come on guys, that was an M3. It did look like it had an automatic so there are mitigating circumstances.:cool:
Bwahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right intentions, but that's a stick. M3's only come with 6MT's or SMG. No slushboxes allowed :nono:.

Shok,
I'd start mowing at 7:00a.m.

GMichael
04-19-2006, 07:27 AM

Shok,

Ditto, and don't forget to pull the mufler off first.

N. Abstentia
04-19-2006, 09:22 AM
My neighbors in the back has put a jacuzzi up against the back wall away from there house and closest to mine. Super loud music on a poor mini system till 2-3 in the morning and i havent said a word but when i mow the back yard at 8:30AM and can hear him yelling at me. I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet.

Mow whevener they are in the jacuzzi...and make sure to throw plenty of grass and dust in their direction. And as was mentioned...remove that muffler!

If they can crank music at 3 am you can cut your grass at 3 am :)

shokhead
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I was kinda thinking of moving the SVS back there.

GMichael
04-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Maybe you need to hang a picture or two on that wall, while they're in there.

N. Abstentia
04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Some clorox in the jacuzzi might help...

noek
04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I doubt that there is anything you can do short of moving.

I live in an apartment on the third floor and while I don't currently have a sub for my receiver, I just bought Logitech z5500s for my computer and I can tell you this much, I've had several notes on my door about the bass shaking lighting fixtures already. I now keep it very low and try to be polite as possible but there are still times on the weekend during the day when I'll play a tad loud for a short duration.

Can't wait until my Polk PSW505 comes in...they're gonna really love me then

L.J.
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Not that I'm proud of this buuuuuuuuuuut............I'd throw own on U-571, Matrix, MI and so on, and just blast it. 12" sub by the way, right against the joining wall of the neighbors. Homeboy use to open his window and just scream at my door. When I saw him face to face, he would not speak to me. I'm sure there was a parade when I moved.

He shoulda came to the door with a 12 pack and some BB rentals. It woulda been sooo much easier that way. :devil:

shokhead
04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Lets see,i've been here 26 years and they have been in there house maybe 5 years. I'm not moving. I'll just keep being to nice and not do anything and mow after 8am.

sounds03
04-19-2006, 08:27 PM
:2: BMW too bad...as far as sound issue turn on your system and rock 'em[/FONT].

Woochifer
04-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately, any number of suggestions that we can offer up won't be any more effective than the most simple one -- getting your neighbor to turn the bass down. Too bad they've decided to be pricks about the noise, because there are ways of working around these kinds of bass issues.

The thing to keep in mind is that bass frequencies behave differently than the midrange and highs. Their wave lengths can be longer than the room itself, which creates a lot of interesting variations in how they sound from one location to another. Most prominently, the bass waves can easily pass through walls, and room-induced wave interactions can result in bass cancellations at one location and extreme boosts at another location. Because of this it's entirely plausible for the bass to sound louder in your room than in your neighbor's room.

Aside from adjusting the subwoofer level down, changing the location of the subwoofer can make a difference, and filtering it so that the bass dropoff occurs at a higher frequency are two approaches that the neighbor can take to limiting the bass that intrudes into your space. But, these are far from surefire approaches, and changing the location of the sub can actually make things worse if the conditions are right.

Unfortunately, short of going to masonry construction, there's no easy way to keep the bass from passing through the walls if they adjoin one another. Going to the association board is probably the easier solution.

JoeE SP9
04-20-2006, 04:51 AM

Right intentions, but that's a stick. M3's only come with 6MT's or SMG. No slushboxes allowed :nono:.

Shok,

There was a lot of ugly colored paint all over the place. It hurt my eyes to see that M3 like that. I wasn't sure if it was a one legged car or not. I knew someone on this board would know for sure.:cool:

Worf101
04-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Sigh, I hate to hear stories like this... I'd go over there and tell him to cut off the music. Of course I'm 6 foot 2 Inches of muscled, scary Black Man, so people tend to listen when I talk. I also use "the command voice of decision" I perfected as a Sgt in the Army.. that also tends to get their attention. Bottom line is I bought a house. College kids get a little noisey but it's only on weekends and that I can live with. Go talk to the guy and see if he's an ******* or reasonable if the former then start calling the cops when his late night shennanigans start disturbing you.

Da Worfster

shokhead
04-20-2006, 05:34 AM
I see it as give and take as i put up with a little and so far nobodys had a problem with me.Calling the cops would be the very last thing i'd do to somebody on either side of me. So far he's only yelled when i mow and he has these party's 3-5 times a year.

Mey
04-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I doubt that there is anything you can do short of moving.

I''m an owner whose lived here 5 years. They are renters who been there 2 months. Someone's going to move, and it ain't going to be me. If I did sell and move, I think I would get a reduced price for my place because of these bozos- the noise is almost constant.

I live in an apartment on the third floor and while I don't currently have a sub for my receiver, I just bought Logitech z5500s for my computer and I can tell you this much, I've had several notes on my door about the bass shaking lighting fixtures already. I now keep it very low and try to be polite as possible but there are still times on the weekend during the day when I'll play a tad loud for a short duration.

See, you are trying to be cooperative and polite. Short periods on weekends during the day I don't have as much of a problem with. When it's blasting at 11pm on a Sunday night, I have a problem. When the 100 year-old family photographs I've spent 100's of dollars to have archivally framed are rattling and shaking on the walls, I have a problem. I hear their TV at some level almost constantly. Yesterday, their TV was on 7:30am, at 10:30pm when I got home, and went until 4am. And was back on at 7:30am today.

GMichael
04-20-2006, 09:46 AM
See, you are trying to be cooperative and polite. Short periods on weekends during the day I don't have as much of a problem with. When it's blasting at 11pm on a Sunday night, I have a problem. When the 100 year-old family photographs I've spent 100's of dollars to have archivally framed are rattling and shaking on the walls, I have a problem. I hear their TV at some level almost constantly. Yesterday, their TV was on 7:30am, at 10:30pm when I got home, and went until 4am. And was back on at 7:30am today.

You are also trying to be nice by researching and offering a solution to them. I still don't think that they will care or take the advice. But I still believe that if they were to install the base shakers with the rubber isolators below, they could lower their sub and still enjoy their system. Good luck.

Click on links below:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-027

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-876

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-20-2006, 11:46 AM
People who love to play their subs as loud as this person will not appreciate bass shakers. Bass shakers would be no replacement, even an addition to my sub. My subs sound too good.

I would recommend that you ask them to mount their subs off the floor, and away from walls. For years my left/right mains handled all of the bass chores in my system. The subwoofers in these speakers shook the air violently, slightly vibrated the floors, and enabled you to feel the pressure wave. I never heard the windows or walls rattle. My mains probably outperformed 90% of the subwoofers out there. However they were on low stands off the floor.

After purchasing my subs, I noticed the floor shook violently, windows and dishes in the kitchen and dining room rattle and shifted, the air still shook and the pressure wave still could be felt. I also noticed that the walls rattled too. My subs are sitting directly on the floor. . I raised them off the floor one day using 7" high concrete blocks, and all of the rattling disappeared.

If you raise you sub off the floor, then you can lessen any structure borne vibrations that may transfer to other apartments or rooms. You can also purchase bass traps that you sit you subs on. They work pretty well in isolating the sub from the floor and walls.

GMichael
04-20-2006, 12:15 PM
People who love to play their subs as loud as this person will not appreciate bass shakers. Bass shakers would be no replacement, even an addition to my sub. My subs sound too good.

I would recommend that you ask them to mount their subs off the floor, and away from walls. For years my left/right mains handled all of the bass chores in my system. The subwoofers in these speakers shook the air violently, slightly vibrated the floors, and enabled you to feel the pressure wave. I never heard the windows or walls rattle. My mains probably outperformed 90% of the subwoofers out there. However they were on low stands off the floor.

After purchasing my subs, I noticed the floor shook violently, windows and dishes in the kitchen and dining room rattle and shifted, the air still shook and the pressure wave still could be felt. I also noticed that the walls rattled too. My subs are sitting directly on the floor. . I raised them off the floor one day using 7" high concrete blocks, and all of the rattling disappeared.

If you raise you sub off the floor, then you can lessen any structure bore vibrations that may transfer to other apartments or rooms. You can also purchase bass traps that you sit you subs on. They work pretty well in isolating the sub from the floor and walls.

How about these TACTILE SOUND TST429 PLATINUM TRANSDUCERs ??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-864

Good down to 5 htz. That will rattle their teeth.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
How about these TACTILE SOUND TST429 PLATINUM TRANSDUCERs ??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-864

Good down to 5 htz. That will rattle their teeth.

Unfortunately bass lovers like the tone of the bass as well as the tactile feeling of unheard signals. Tactile transducers do not produce any tone. They just shake and that doesn't do it for bass heads.

GMichael
04-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately bass lovers like the tone of the bass as well as the tactile feeling of unheard signals. Tactile transducers do not produce any tone. They just shake and that doesn't do it for bass heads.

So you mean that this part of the add is a lie? "Audible frequency range: 20-17,0000 Hz ":mad2:

How dare they lie to me like that. Dirty rotton gr@#$%ming son's a %$#@$'s! May they all $%#ing rot with $%#@ on their $%##@@&s!:mad5:

shokhead
04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Not 17Hz.

GMichael
04-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Not 17Hz.

I copy and pasted right from PE's site. Here's the rest.

Specifications: *Power handling: 160 watts RMS/400 watts max *Tactile frequency range: 5-800 Hz *Audible frequency range: 20-17,0000 Hz *Impedance: 4 ohms *Transduction force: 6.9 lb-ft/watt *Tactile force peak: 932 lb-ft *Dimensions: 8" dia. x 2.25" H.

The * states "Manufacturer's Specifications (923 kB PDF*) "

I hate Adobe. Can't copy & paste. Here's the link.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/300-864s.pdf

shokhead
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I copy and pasted right from PE's site. Here's the rest.

Specifications: *Power handling: 160 watts RMS/400 watts max *Tactile frequency range: 5-800 Hz *Audible frequency range: 20-17,0000 Hz *Impedance: 4 ohms *Transduction force: 6.9 lb-ft/watt *Tactile force peak: 932 lb-ft *Dimensions: 8" dia. x 2.25" H.

The * states "Manufacturer's Specifications (923 kB PDF*) "

I hate Adobe. Can't copy & paste. Here's the link.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/300-864s.pdf

My bad,thought you were saying human hearing. What? What?

superpanavision70mm
04-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Sometimes if you can't beat them then join them. Why not get a kickin' system that will blow them away?

jocko_nc
04-22-2006, 08:10 AM
They live directly below... Hmmmmm...

You could have the your shower drain go mysteriously bad and flood them out. They may not have renter's insurance, that would be the end of it all.

jocko

phillyguy
04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
You might try a conversation with your neighbors. When my brother bought his system, he was considerate and asked his next door neighbor to tell him when it was too loud, so my brother could note the volume of the receiver. He now knows when they are home, he can't go any louder than that volume without bothering them. Maybe a nice conversation over a beer or 2 will let you establish the same kind of rapport with your neighbors. If they refuse, you will have to resort to the homeowners association or police. Hope this helps.

Mey
04-24-2006, 02:51 PM
You might try a conversation with your neighbors. When my brother bought his system, he was considerate and asked his next door neighbor to tell him when it was too loud, so my brother could note the volume of the receiver. He now knows when they are home, he can't go any louder than that volume without bothering them. Maybe a nice conversation over a beer or 2 will let you establish the same kind of rapport with your neighbors. If they refuse, you will have to resort to the homeowners association or police. Hope this helps.

The property manager is sending both the tenants and the unit owner a letter on behalf of the condo board, based on the complaints of two residents. So hopefully that will help.

Previous attempts to ask politely led to the door being slammed in my face.

Mey
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you to all for the (legal) suggestions. I included some in my complaint letter to the condo board, and they are sending a warning letter.

I'm not an audiofile, but I'll probably be back at this site in a couple of years when I have to replace my circa 1981 TV. My stereo componets are only 15 years old, so I think they'll last me a while.